LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 interior mods from the mild to the extreme.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 02:15 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post LS400 interior mods from the mild to the extreme.

What have you done to your interior? Custom shift ****? Pedals? reupholstered seats? I would like to see what route some of you are taking? It seems like with these cars, its either stock or VIP. Anything in between just may look funky.

I recently picked up a Super Road Race bubble shift **** (black-smoke color). Some dub it the ***** shifter since the resemblance is unmistakeable. Also blocked off my ciggarette lighter holes with no smoking plugs. Just little touches here and there. I am tempted to get some simple aluminum pedals but my car might start to look tacky, some already question my shift **** choice while others love it. Doesnt matter though since what matters is that I like it, its my car/my money.

What have you guys done to your LS? Just looking for ideas/inspiration and curious.
Old 10-10-13, 02:34 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

What do you guys think of a wood race steering wheel in the LS400? I think it fits the car but the lack of airbag (obviously) makes it look not luxurious but at the same time it just seems to go with the interior. I always felt the LS400 was the perfect highway cruiser, and having a wheel like the one above would make driving feel pleasurable like one is navigating a boat. And woodgrain with the polished center spokes, looks classy enough to me.

Or in this case, its better not to fudge with the OEM steering wheel? Especially since there is an airbag?
Old 10-10-13, 04:48 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Totaly dislike that steering wheel for the LS400. Having no airbag wouldn't bother me b/c I unplugged mine anyway, I don't trust them. A friend died from a faulty airbag. But that wheel is just too see through for my taste, on a luxury vehicle.
Old 10-10-13, 05:39 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the wood wheel looks classy, but only if it compliments the overall build in some way. If you're aiming for a sort of lowered/drifter look then by all means, do eet! Otherwise, you can still pull it off with the right styling cues. Perhaps a matching shift ****? Also, where did you get your "no smoking" plugs?
Old 10-10-13, 06:06 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I would like to re-upholster my seats, because the current ones are kinda beaten up. I think it would be neat to have the center of the cushions done in a contrasting color suede like in the IS300s, or go all out and put in velour pillowtop seats, like some of the Cressidas used to have. I always was a fan of seats that you sink into like a couch

Old 10-10-13, 07:06 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by deanshark
Totaly dislike that steering wheel for the LS400. Having no airbag wouldn't bother me b/c I unplugged mine anyway, I don't trust them. A friend died from a faulty airbag. But that wheel is just too see through for my taste, on a luxury vehicle.
Originally Posted by Sc0pe
I think the wood wheel looks classy, but only if it compliments the overall build in some way. If you're aiming for a sort of lowered/drifter look then by all means, do eet! Otherwise, you can still pull it off with the right styling cues. Perhaps a matching shift ****? Also, where did you get your "no smoking" plugs?
Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I would like to re-upholster my seats, because the current ones are kinda beaten up. I think it would be neat to have the center of the cushions done in a contrasting color suede like in the IS300s, or go all out and put in velour pillowtop seats, like some of the Cressidas used to have. I always was a fan of seats that you sink into like a couch
1. Perhaps the stock woodgrain wheel gets the job done, really cant fault it. By the way, how did you disconnect your airbag?

2. I agree, the car would need to have some sort of theme ie. lowrider/drifter/hard parker/etc. look for it all to come together. A stripped out LS400 done up dori dori (drift) style would be super sick...luxury is thrown out the window but still function is retained...just put to a different use/purpose.

The no smoking plugs I purchased from my local autozone, supposedly walmart has them too but never seen them there. Also they are on amazon and ebay as well. Just type in no smoking cigarette lighter plug.

3. Hmmm that would be different, or how about leather centers with suede bolters...kinda like how you see race seats with mesh centers and suede outters. In the interest of maintaining luxury it can be leather center/suede outter.

BTW that Cressida interior makes me think of a baby's crib....dunno why but it just does.
Old 10-10-13, 07:48 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah87
1. Perhaps the stock woodgrain wheel gets the job done, really cant fault it. By the way, how did you disconnect your airbag?
I just unplugged the wire connectors from the airbag ECM. When I had to change my heater core the console needed to come out so I did it then. It's under the console below and to the left of the shifter. I must say I do not recommend unhooking the airbags. They're a good safety feature, as long as they work right. But this car is 20 years old and I don't trust them. When my friend's airbag went off it was when he put the car in park. The investigator said it was an electrical malfunction due to spilled liquid onto the airbag ECM. I can't believe that damn iced coffee killed him.
Old 10-10-13, 08:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Lexus recommends having the air bag system checked, I read it in passing at the 12 or 15 years mark I recollect. Scary to have it go off with such consequences.

As for interiors, that 70's-80's Lincoln Continental and Caddy tuck type fabric...not to my taste. Spill anything sticky on it and it mats up. That was when car plush interiors were super soft.

I kinda like two tone contrasting leather seats. The 430 interiors have a nice contrast of color and luxo integrations. The 400's seem pretty vanilla-bland. The right touch of aluminum, polished or brushed would be nice.

I like some of these Panamera configs, the ostrich may be a bit wild.
Attached Thumbnails LS400 interior mods from the mild to the extreme.-epcp_1009_08_o-fab_design-panamera_interior.jpg   LS400 interior mods from the mild to the extreme.-2012-topcar-porsche-panamera-stingray-gtr-orange-interior-9.jpg   LS400 interior mods from the mild to the extreme.-porsche-panamera_s_hybrid_2012_1600x1200_wallpaper_13.jpg   LS400 interior mods from the mild to the extreme.-2013-porsche-panamera-gts-interior.jpg  
Old 10-10-13, 09:04 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by deanshark
I just unplugged the wire connectors from the airbag ECM. When I had to change my heater core the console needed to come out so I did it then. It's under the console below and to the left of the shifter. I must say I do not recommend unhooking the airbags. They're a good safety feature, as long as they work right. But this car is 20 years old and I don't trust them. When my friend's airbag went off it was when he put the car in park. The investigator said it was an electrical malfunction due to spilled liquid onto the airbag ECM. I can't believe that damn iced coffee killed him.
whoa he was killed? My friend removed the airbag (new steering wheel) in his FD RX-7 because he also does not trust em in his car also being decades old.

This is the best one! ^
Old 10-13-13, 06:18 PM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

I made these floor mats for just the rear. Got the emblems at the junkyard. Also, got these puddle lights. I was afraid they would come off as being tacky but for 20 bucks on ebay, I gave them a shot. They turned out great, everyone that sees them says its a good touch.
Attached Thumbnails LS400 interior mods from the mild to the extreme.-20131013_210426.jpg   LS400 interior mods from the mild to the extreme.-20131013_210658.jpg  
Old 10-13-13, 07:28 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AtlasLS400
I made these floor mats for just the rear. Got the emblems at the junkyard. Also, got these puddle lights. I was afraid they would come off as being tacky but for 20 bucks on ebay, I gave them a shot. They turned out great, everyone that sees them says its a good touch.
Not sure how I feel about the emblem carpets - I mean, they're an interesting idea, don't get me wrong, just the functionality aspect and how they'll hold up to shoes and what not (assuming you carry passengers). As for the puddle lights, I think they look pretty clean. Where'd you have them mounted?
Old 10-13-13, 08:31 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

I like the puddle lights, the emblem carpet is different.

Maybe you can have them custom embroidered with the L logo or Lexus text, just a thought but +1 for being original.
Old 10-14-13, 06:22 AM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

Did them myself. Job took a couple hours, just drilled a hole right next to the door light and connected the wires.
Fits very flush and no issues with it rubbing. Those are the cheap ones, the image is crisp within 18 inches. If you plan to project the image futher than that; I recommend buying the more expensive ones.

As for the carpets, I have a different set to put in if I expect to be picking people up. Definitely not functional. Lol.
Old 10-14-13, 06:44 AM
AtlasLS400
Pole Position

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...169&cmd=VIDESC
You can find the lights here. Trusted source. I had one light that was blurry, they sent a new one right away.
Old 04-16-21, 01:05 PM
upsideup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seats

[QUOTE=YoshiMan;8182145]I would like to re-upholster my seats, because the current ones are kinda beaten up. I think it would be neat to have the center of the cushions done in a contrasting color suede like in the IS300s, or go all out and put in velour pillowtop seats, like some of the Cressidas used to have. I always was a fan of seats that you sink into like a couch

please tell me where you git these seats or where i can find them. i have been looking and searching but couldn't find them anywhere

Quick Reply: LS400 interior mods from the mild to the extreme.