LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help Me Decide if I should Buy this Lexus...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 06:49 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Me Decide if I should Buy this Lexus...

Hey guys I just needed your opinion on a car I am considering purchasing. I found a black on black 1998 Lexus that has every option except air suspension and navigation. The car is absolutely flawless inside and out. the only exception is a cracked mirror and housing on the outside passenger side, and a cracked wind shield (however the cracks on the wind shield are in spots that don't affect vision).

The negative is that the car has 236k miles on it. However, I already took it to a mechanic to do a full point inspection on it and they found literally nothing wrong with the car. The tech's exact words were considering the miles the car has, its in fantastic shape!

I have a deal to buy it for just under $4500. But I'm a little wary of buying cars with that many miles on it, even if its a Lexus. On the other hand, I can't find a deal locally or nationally at that type of price for that year and those options.

Would you guys pull the trigger on this deal? Thoughts?

Forgot to mention: The mechanic suggested that I get the oil changed and replaced the steering pump fluid and transmission fluid. Other than that he couldn't recommend anything else get fixed.

Last edited by Jlacck; 09-30-13 at 06:51 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 09-30-13, 07:45 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

The thing I'd be scared about, with that many miles, would be all the suspension bushings. They may look good but still be bad. The rubber deteriorates and ya cant always see that they're bad. It's more of a feel thing when you're driving, and turning. I'd try to get the price down a bit, it's still a 15 year old car. Is there documentation when the last time the timing belt was changed?
Old 09-30-13, 07:50 AM
Jlacck
Driver

That was my concern as well. As I mentioned, the high mileage is what scares me off from it. I asked the mechanic if there was anyway to check to see when the timing belt was changed (or if it even has been changed). He told me there is usually a sticker that notifies you of the change but he said he couldn't find a sticker.

When I test drove it it felt very solid and very smooth, I didn't get a sense that there was anything going bad with the suspension.

The seller originally wanted 5000 so I actually got it down to 4300. My original offer was 4k. Is there anything you guys recommend?
Old 09-30-13, 09:56 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Run the vin through Lexus.coms website it doesn't cost anything and it will give you a list of what maintenance was completed by the dealership.
Old 09-30-13, 10:29 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Hey GH5T,

Took your advice and checked out the vin history on Lexus.com

It appears that the car has been meticulously maintained. That are 12 pages of records. 90% of it scheduled maintenance, oil changes/filter changes etc. The rest is simple stuff like tire changes/rotation, or some battery issues. I did see a front axle repaired in 2006 at 176k miles and front strut bars were replaced in 2003 at 133k miles.

Other than that there doesn't appear to be any major repairs. Having said that, it says nothing about timing belt changes though. I'm assuming that was probably done at one of the scheduled maintenance but I don't know. Does anyone know if a timing belt change would be included in a schedule maintenance? The car had maintenance at the 5k, 10k, 20k, And then 60k, 70k, 90k, 100k, and 120k.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-30-13, 10:43 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Should be at 90k-100k... but may have slipped till later... The replacement is generally based on miles/time... but there should be a record there that proves it out...
On the Lexus site, click on the print button...that puts all the entries on one page and makes it easier to search for one specific thing, like timing belt or water pump. Should have been done at the same time.
Still seems a bit high with that many miles...
Old 09-30-13, 10:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

"front axle" repair?
Old 09-30-13, 11:16 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
"front axle" repair?
yep that's what it says. My first thought was an accident. But carfax report shows no accidents. what are your thoughts regarding the front axle comment?
Old 09-30-13, 12:31 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Being that it's in Colorado (judging from your "location") the chances are good that they may had slid it sideways into a curb at some point. When i Worked at Kuni Lexus in 2006/07, we would get flooded with those every snowstorm. Even had an RX that snapped the front steering knuckle clean off, and the CV shaft ripped all the gears on the output shaft clean out of the transmission housing.

If you are in Colorado, which part are you in?
Old 09-30-13, 12:56 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

My answer is YES... I bought a 99 LS400 in march of this year with 233K on the clock.. I ran the vin and found the TB & WP were done by Sewell at 130k... so I figured I would run it until 260, and do it again... and like yours it is in good shape... it has nearly 235 now and runs super good, I have attached a photo of the repairs and auto..
Attached Thumbnails Help Me Decide if I should Buy this Lexus...-100_3879.jpg   Help Me Decide if I should Buy this Lexus...-scan0001.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 09-30-13 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 01:47 PM
Jlacck
Driver

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Being that it's in Colorado (judging from your "location") the chances are good that they may had slid it sideways into a curb at some point. When i Worked at Kuni Lexus in 2006/07, we would get flooded with those every snowstorm. Even had an RX that snapped the front steering knuckle clean off, and the CV shaft ripped all the gears on the output shaft clean out of the transmission housing.

If you are in Colorado, which part are you in?

I'm actually in the Denver metro area. Hmmm, based on what you're saying, I wonder why an accident hasn't been reported on the car fax.

Here is everything that was done at the 120k service. I don't see TB change here or on any of the other scheduled maintenance. I can't imagine that considering how meticulously maintained it is, that the dealers wouldn't have had it done. However there's no record of it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
120k service.pdf (24.5 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Jlacck; 09-30-13 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 01:53 PM
Jlacck
Driver

Thumbs up

By the way Billy that's a sharp looking car you have.
Old 09-30-13, 04:26 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The resale value is shot...but that doesn't mean it cant be a great car for you

ANY used car that you buy should have ALL fluids replaced...thats a no brainer. The mechanic said it checked out right? sounds like its in decent shape...buy it, fix what it needs and enjoy it.
Old 09-30-13, 04:39 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

don't buy any Lexus or any car period without getting the Autocheck report (a more reliable version of a CARFAX) - you need to know if this car has ever been wrecked, or was in a flood, etc.

No car is such a great deal that you want to unknowingly buy a lemon that has tons of upcoming issues, due to the recent flood that it went through and was cosmeticly freshed up from.

but don't worry too much, I'm sure they never have floods in Colorado!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-30-13 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 04:48 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlacck
I'm actually in the Denver metro area. Hmmm, based on what you're saying, I wonder why an accident hasn't been reported on the car fax.
If they did some sort of front "axle" damage to it and just had it fixed at the dealer, then its likely not going to show up on Carfax as an accident. Of course, It could of been something much less catastrophic as well, like a bad bearing or something where they had to replace the hub.

I'm just south of you, in Parker.

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
but don't worry too much, I'm sure they never have floods in Colorado!
Yeah, no joke! That's what just about everyone was saying right before their window wells filled up with water!

What's harsh on a number on the LS's here is the fact that whenever it snows people apparently act as if theyve never seen it before.. It's like a damn state of emergency and LOTS of people aren't accustomed to driving in it. I have seen what seems like HUNDREDS of LS400s abandoned in road side ditches over the years, and as a result lots of them have had some sort of suspension repairs at some point. They really should have winter driving classes be mandatory, but theres alot of things that would change if i was in control!

It's like.... "SNOW??? HERE???? What do we do?!?!?!?"

Last edited by YoshiMan; 09-30-13 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide if I should Buy this Lexus...