LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Can I replace stock subwoofer with aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 05:07 PM
njacobss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I replace stock subwoofer with aftermarket?

I have a 1997 lexus ls400 with horrible bass. The rear subwoofer plays but it plays super super lightly... like its almost not even there. I am asking ..if I test the wires to make sure they are getting good power can i disconnect the old sub and put an 8 inch aftermarket sub in the spot? I do not want to use an amp if I dont absolutely have to. And I will be using the original wires.
Old 09-27-13, 06:17 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Absolutely!

You may wanna see what the resistance of the woofer is first. The doors are around the typical 4 ohm, which isn't typical for OEM. I'd look for something that is as efficient as possible, the SPL or db/1watt/meter etc. Also something with plenty of xmax. Anything over 10mm with the OE amp should be safe.

Mine is still intact and plays pretty good but I'm gonna replace it with a 10" Acoustic Elegance sub designed for IB mounting. I really wanted to go larger, 12" or 15", because large IB subs make bass that sounds effortless and will go deep and higher into the mid-bass than other types of subs. A 10" will fit easily with some metal cut out. Anything larger will mount under metal body that isn't easy to modify to work and keep the OE grill.

If cost effective is your goal then I'd just look for a nice used original style woofer or fix the one you have. If the cone is damged you can try and glue it up, add as little weight as possible. If the surround it deteriorated they you are SOL and need to find a better one.
Old 09-27-13, 09:32 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

was wondering this same thing.....Im looking to install aftermarket door speakers
also, was looking to replace the 8" subwoofer with a 10", but would I have to modify the grill ?
Also, where can i source a link to the specs of my stock 1996 LS400 amplifier?
I would need to know the basics such as fuse rating, RMS per channel, stable at what ohms, etc, so Id know what rating door speakers and sub to install.

thanks
Old 10-01-13, 04:10 AM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

Originally Posted by MattLS400
was wondering this same thing.....Im looking to install aftermarket door speakers
also, was looking to replace the 8" subwoofer with a 10", but would I have to modify the grill ?
Also, where can i source a link to the specs of my stock 1996 LS400 amplifier?
I would need to know the basics such as fuse rating, RMS per channel, stable at what ohms, etc, so Id know what rating door speakers and sub to install.

thanks
What years is your LS400?
What have you done to your sound system so far? Totally stock?
How much bass do you want and how much modifying are you willing to do?

You will have to modify the grill a little bit for a 10".
I'd love to see amplifier specs too but you can assume it is only 4ohm stable and from the looks of the wire size, not very many of the wattages. The wires going to the subwoofer are tiny, like 18 or 20AWG.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the factory Pioneer Premium Sound system. It doesn't distort at good volume levels, pretty good imaging and clarity, I like the controls, etc.

I'm gonna upgrade mine in stages. I'd like to keep the OE head unit and CD changer for good if possible but add an AUX in so I can use my iPod and tablet. I may keep the factory amplifier for the rear door speakers not to mention it is somehow connected to the CD changer and I'm not sure how the rest of the system will work with it removed.

My first step is to install a JBL MS-8 DSP and see just how good the otherwise factory system can sound with better Time Alignment, EQ and crossover points. The factory speakers might really shine with better power.

The factory 8" subwoofer on the rear deck is almost enough bass for me. An Acoustic Elegance 10" with ~500WRMS should be more than enough. If you are looking for lots more bass then there are other ways to go about it than a single Infinite Baffle sub on the rear deck. The LS400 makes traditional subwoofer set ups impossible with the gas tank directly behind the rear seats. This means all of the bass will have to come thru the rear deck or actually be inside the car. Still very doable, just requires more modding and creativity.