LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 LS400: Engine Fan spinning too freely ?

Old 09-29-13, 07:37 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yamae
That is not a SC400. It is a JDM Toyota Celsior and it is natural that the fan spins freely by a hand when the engine is off because it has a hydro fan. Once the engine is started, the fan rotates sometimes slowly and sometimes fast depending on the heat generated by the engine.

We live in a small country but the summer heat and winter coldness are something special. We also have traffic jams very often. To meet those conditions, Toyota must have decided to use a hydro fan for a JDM.
Oh yes, it also says Japan on the registration card...Thanks for the clarification Yamae...Furthermore, thanks for the explanation and confirmation about
1)what type of engine fan I have -- Hydro
2)Why my engine fan is "spinning too freely"-- Because its Hydro

Nevertheless, I will take the advice of LScowboy by having my Fan Fluid changed to the Dexron II or III transmission fluid since my current fluid in the engine fan reservoir has not been changed in 5 years. I will upload a picture of this fluid in the reservoir in the Morning.

Well I guess that clears my mind and I have another possible problem knocked off the list with regards to my other thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-to-half.html

You see, though my engine temperature never rises above half, my vehicle only begins to rough idle once the temperature reaches the half mark level. Therefore, I was wondering maybe my fan clutch is spinning too freely and not providing my 1UZ with the sufficient cooling it requires, consequently leading to the rough idle when too heated....Hence my question in post #1 what is the optimal cooling temperature of these 1UZ's.

But no need to fear. If I find 10,000 ways that doesn't work or solve my rough idling problem, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.
Thomas Edison is with me on this one guys.
Old 09-29-13, 08:44 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLS400
Oh yes, it also says Japan on the registration card...Thanks for the clarification Yamae...Furthermore, thanks for the explanation and confirmation about
1)what type of engine fan I have -- Hydro
2)Why my engine fan is "spinning too freely"-- Because its Hydro

Nevertheless, I will take the advice of LScowboy by having my Fan Fluid changed to the Dexron II or III transmission fluid since my current fluid in the engine fan reservoir has not been changed in 5 years. I will upload a picture of this fluid in the reservoir in the Morning.

Well I guess that clears my mind and I have another possible problem knocked off the list with regards to my other thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-to-half.html

You see, though my engine temperature never rises above half, my vehicle only begins to rough idle once the temperature reaches the half mark level. Therefore, I was wondering maybe my fan clutch is spinning too freely and not providing my 1UZ with the sufficient cooling it requires, consequently leading to the rough idle when too heated....Hence my question in post #1 what is the optimal cooling temperature of these 1UZ's.

But no need to fear. If I find 10,000 ways that doesn't work or solve my rough idling problem, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.
Thomas Edison is with me on this one guys.
I own a 98 Celsior and it also has a hydro fan which is quite similar with yours. The fan spins quite freely by my hand as if nothing is engaged when the engine is off. But once the engine is started, it spins strong and the air is blowing hard. My fingers would be cut easily by the rotating blades. If your situations are similar to mine, you don't need to worry about any. Toyota recommends to use the genuine power steering oil for the hydro liquid but the cap says Dexron II.

Regarding to the rough idle issue and others, I'd better not to mix different themes here and I will be reading your other threads and I will be posting if I can advise you any.
Old 09-30-13, 02:59 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

wow, I never knew that all the Celsiors have the hydraulic fan system, very interesting! - I never saw it in USA except on SC300 and SC400 (Soarer)

the system has very expensive parts (10 times the parts cost to replace than a normal fan clutch) but I have heard that this system is quite reliable, and I can see how it would have some advantages over a traditional fan clutch, and the more I think about it, the fan spinning freely makes sense in this case.

I never realized there are such large differences in JDM vs. USA imported LS400

Is the hydraulic fan system known to have any leak prone areas, such as rubber hydraulic lines etc.? (I don't keep up with the unique aspects of JDM models or SC's as well as I should!)
Old 09-30-13, 05:11 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
this cowboy knows fan clutches!

lol..matt u should have just called the dealership with the last 8 of ur vin and gotten a straight answer..maybe firestone would have known as well
Old 09-30-13, 05:21 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

wow, I never knew that all the Celsiors have the hydraulic fan system, very interesting! - I never saw it in USA except on SC300 and SC400 (Soarer)

the system has very expensive parts (10 times the parts cost to replace than a normal fan clutch) but I have heard that this system is quite reliable, and I can see how it would have some advantages over a traditional fan clutch, and the more I think about it, the fan spinning freely makes sense in this case.

I never realized there are such large differences in JDM vs. USA imported LS400

Is the hydraulic fan system known to have any leak prone areas, such as rubber hydraulic lines etc.? (I don't keep up with the unique aspects of JDM models or SC's as well as I should!)
The system is consisting of parts below. I have never experienced any problem with these parts. So are my friends.

I think the hydraulic cooling system used for a Celsior is quite reliable compared to the power steering system. Actually I have experienced the leaking oil from the power steering pump. I also think that the pressure is not as high as the power steering lines and this may be one of the reasons why the leak problem is not common.

The original drawing had Japanese parts names and I translated them.
Old 09-30-13, 06:30 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I had this very system in my 93 camry with a 3.0 v-6. my cooling fan would only turn slow and it never got up to cooling speed, I changed the cts and it resolved the issue
Old 02-11-14, 06:07 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by python
I had this very system in my 93 camry with a 3.0 v-6. my cooling fan would only turn slow and it never got up to cooling speed, I changed the cts and it resolved the issue
what is the cts?

Members,
After draining the fluid from my Hydraullic Fan set-up, I have noticed that the fluid was rather black. Seeing that this fan requires Dexron II fluid, I recon that this fluid has never been changed and as such has lost all viscosity .

I recon it is as a result of this loss in viscosity that is causing me to experience such loss in spinning power of my Hydraullic Fan.

Can anyone advise me how to properly flush this Hydraullic System ?
Old 02-11-14, 06:43 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I advised you or someone on this months ago, but here is it again - it is exactly as you would flush and bleed the power steering system, that's basically what the hydraulic portion is, just driving a fan rather than a rack

just draining the system at one of the cooler ends and refilling with fresh dexron III ATF would be fine for a drain and fill, or else for a true flush, you need to disconnect the drivers side cooler line at the cooler outlet (pump inlet) and stick that hose into a large container (such as a 5QT) bottle of fresh new Dexron and run the system letting it suck the fluid out of the new gallon until the discharge out of the cooler runs a pretty red
Old 02-13-14, 09:45 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

I advised you or someone on this months ago, but here is it again - it is exactly as you would flush and bleed the power steering system, that's basically what the hydraulic portion is, just driving a fan rather than a rack

just draining the system at one of the cooler ends and refilling with fresh dexron III ATF would be fine for a drain and fill, or else for a true flush, you need to disconnect the drivers side cooler line at the cooler outlet (pump inlet) and stick that hose into a large container (such as a 5QT) bottle of fresh new Dexron and run the system letting it suck the fluid out of the new gallon until the discharge out of the cooler runs a pretty red
I did as suggested, flushed the system and My Hydraullic Reservoir is now red and not the previously black.

However, the fan is still spinning too freely. I think this Hydro Fan needs to be changed !