LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Should I buy a LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 06:16 PM
Pantherama
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a LS400?

I might buy a 1995 LS400 for around $1500. Thing is perfect inside and out. Runs and drives great. BUUUUT my friend is scaring me saying that EACH strut is $1000!!! Thats beyond insane! The suspension isnt really bad BUT not..... perfect. I feel like it could be a little firmer. The car has zero history because Im buying it at an auto auction. There IS a light on the dash. Its amber.... round symbol on the lower right. What does that mean? Also can I run Regular gas in it without damaging anything???
Old 08-28-13, 06:29 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

If the air has air suspension, then your friend is wrong. Each air strut costs more than $1K to replace. The engine requires premium fuel. Based on your questions I recommend that you not consider this car.
Old 08-28-13, 06:34 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The air suspension is pricey, but it can be converted to regular coil-over shocks cheaply. The premium gas is just a dollar or two more per fill---not a deal breaker. If it looks great it has likely been taken care of. I can't picture what the warning light is you described.
Old 08-28-13, 06:53 PM
Pantherama
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by midwest2
The air suspension is pricey, but it can be converted to regular coil-over shocks cheaply. The premium gas is just a dollar or two more per fill---not a deal breaker. If it looks great it has likely been taken care of. I can't picture what the warning light is you described.
Ahhhhh!!! Thats awesome! Is there a link how you can convert the air suspension to standard? This is my main fear. In no way am I going to pay over $200 a corner for a car thats worth probably $2200.
Old 08-28-13, 07:13 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google it. It's not uncommon.
Old 08-28-13, 07:23 PM
Pantherama
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by midwest2
Google it. It's not uncommon.
OK Thanks again. This is stressing me out a little.
Old 08-28-13, 08:33 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Couple of thoughts:
1. Do you know that it has air suspension? I think most do not (don't know the percentage of air cars)
2. The consensus on premium fuel seems to be: You can use regular (for sure temporarily - it's even in the owner's manual) probably long-term without causing any real damage. However, since the knock sensors will cause the ECU to retard timing a bit (giving less MPG), you will wind up paying as much or more for the gasoline anyway.
Old 08-28-13, 08:34 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the light is probably the brake pad warning light, it is a weird one, but post a pic and we can tell you
Old 08-28-13, 08:36 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gene01
2. The consensus on premium fuel seems to be: You can use regular (for sure temporarily - it's even in the owner's manual) probably long-term without causing any real damage. However, since the knock sensors will cause the ECU to retard timing a bit (giving less MPG), you will wind up paying as much or more for the gasoline anyway.
you end up spending considerably more money to run regular, and you also lose performance that you didn't need to.
Old 08-28-13, 09:34 PM
Pantherama
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
the light is probably the brake pad warning light, it is a weird one, but post a pic and we can tell you
BINGO!!! Thats what it looks like!

So what would YOU folks pay for a 95 LS400 with 196K miles that looked great inside and out with a few minor flaws, drives great and has zero background history?
Old 08-28-13, 11:18 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheaper the better! lol
Old 08-29-13, 12:23 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pantherama
BINGO!!! Thats what it looks like!

So what would YOU folks pay for a 95 LS400 with 196K miles that looked great inside and out with a few minor flaws, drives great and has zero background history?
I would pay $3000 if it has a perfect Autocheck and doesn't have air suspension, and is not some crap color, and has never been modified in any way.
Old 08-29-13, 12:38 AM
Pantherama
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I would pay $3000 if it has a perfect Autocheck and doesn't have air suspension, and is not some crap color, and has never been modified in any way.
Where IS the air suspension switch / button located anyways? Also is there a good place to get aftermarket parts / trim that fit like OEM? I really dont want to bust my bank account for parts and the dealership is NOT a place that I ever want to go to. Oh! And what are some of the best oil filters? I have sooooooooo many questions
Old 08-29-13, 03:19 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pantherama
is there a good place to get aftermarket parts / trim that fit like OEM?
No. If you replace your rarefied world-class NipponDenso & Aisin parts with aftermarket, you no longer have a Lexus, you have a Ford Taurus, at best

tires, battery, oil & oil filter can be aftermarket, most anything else should be genuine Toyota/Denso/Aisin or you may well regret your short-term savings.

you can use my OEM list to find out who made your original parts and sometimes find a good deal on them that way, via Amazon, Ebay, RockAuto, etc. - original Denso O2 sensors at Amazon are a good example of what I am referring to.

I really dont want to bust my bank account for parts and the dealership is NOT a place that I ever want to go to.
buy your parts at Lexus dealerships who sell online and give a ~25% discount such as:

● Park Place Lexus
● Carson Toyota
● Lexus of South Atlanta
● Sewell Lexus (have to register with Club Lexus username for good prices at this one)
● Lexus Parts Now

Oh! And what are some of the best oil filters?
here is my list, and most of 'em are extra BIG
Old 08-29-13, 05:45 AM
Pantherama
Driver School Candidate

Thats PERFECT! Thanks LS Cowboy!

Here is a photo of the dash. I know those two buttons are seat warmers on the lower right BUT what does that button to directly to the left? I hope its not for air ride suspension!
Attached Thumbnails Should I buy a LS400?-20130828150644.jpg  

Quick Reply: Should I buy a LS400?