LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 08:00 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump

The dreaded day has come...

2 days ago my 1993 LS400 overheated and I knew instantly it was the water pump (gut feeling).
I tried several other things, mostly just stalling, before beginning the water pump. Did the coolant temperature sensor, and temp gauge sender, and the thermostat and checked everything else I thought would have caused the overheating. Checked all the fuses thinking maybe my fans werent turning on.

But here we go. It's 10:30 a.m. and already about 78 degrees here in Orlando, Florida. Humidity will mostly like be a lovely 100% as always. -_-

I will take all the pictures I can and let you guys know how it goes. I havent bought the parts yet, gonna go to autozone in a couple hours and grab what I need.

If there is anything else you think I should grab while I am in here, let me know. I am going to buy the timing belt while I am there as well.

Pics of Prep: Since I did the other miscellaneous stuff yesterday, I had already taken most of the top engine panels off, air filter, spark plug covers etc.
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-3ei1tvo.jpg
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-bgqtde3.jpg
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-hqmklzw.jpg
At least my crazy little girl will keep me entertained during the process... :P
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-zmq4kzw.jpg
Old 08-01-13, 08:01 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I bet you wish you were that dog right about now....
Old 08-01-13, 08:07 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I bet you wish you were that dog right about now....
You bet! If only! Hahaha
Old 08-01-13, 08:52 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

If I was doing all that work...I'd get my parts from the dealer... never been happy with autozone remans... belt is probably ok... but the water pump...not so sure. Good for you for tackling this... we'll be with you all the way... well, at least until we log off.
Old 08-01-13, 09:06 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

Originally Posted by Legender
If I was doing all that work...I'd get my parts from the dealer... never been happy with autozone remans... belt is probably ok... but the water pump...not so sure. Good for you for tackling this... we'll be with you all the way... well, at least until we log off.
Thanks Legender, i'll take that into consideration. The main factor is going to be the price of autozone compared to Lexus of Orlando. And thanks for being here! Assurances like that are whats going to keep me going today! lol!
Old 08-01-13, 09:51 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

12:50 P.M. UPDATE:

So, radiator drained. I just take the hose off and let it loose into an oil pan.
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-j614roe.jpg

Spark plug wires taken off. Makee SURE you label these if you ever do this!
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-kkpsgxm.jpg

And just for reference, these are the two coolant sensors I did yesterday. The large one is the coolant temperature sensor, the smaller one is the gauge sender (sends the temp to your instrument panel.)
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-dui0bto.jpg

Got the fan cover and the radiator out. Next is the actual fan...
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-raha2z8.jpg

Parts are adding up quick! lol!
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-igni52o.jpg
Old 08-01-13, 11:52 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

just follow the lexls.com tutorial for the job. it explains the majority of the job. i hope you already have the water pump. i too would try to get OEM but not from the dealership. an OEM aisin brand water pump can be had on ebay for a much better price, and it comes with the appropriate preformed gasket. no messy silicone RTV gaskets to deal with as shown in lexls.com.
Old 08-01-13, 12:16 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

See if they will match Lexus of South Atlanta or come close. Or just have it shipped to you if you can wait a day or two.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...005002383.html

$107 for OEM is great.
Old 08-01-13, 01:13 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Looking good so far...
Old 08-01-13, 01:34 PM
Crybicki
Rookie

4:30 P.M. UPDATE:

This is what I am dealing with right now:

I can't get these stupid ****** bolts off the fan rotor for the life of me!
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-rtsamnn.jpg

I went and got a metric line wrench too and got one off, but none of the other 3 are coming out, and they are starting to get stripped. I am just about out of ideas.

As far as the new water pump goes, I just ended up going to Autozone because Lexus of Orlando is too far away, and I am not willing to order it, Ebay or an out of state dealership. This job is getting done either today or first thing in the a.m. because I have no other vehicle. This one IS new, not remanufactured, so thats a plus at least.
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-negt8np.jpg

Current state of the LS:
Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump-qz28eoe.jpg

I am getting there slowly but surely, if I can just get this fan rotor off, I should be able to get the rest done.
Old 08-01-13, 01:53 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
well I 50% agree with Legender, original Toyota parts are the only way to go (an Aisin water pump) but all of the timing belt parts including the water pump, belt, tensioner, both bearings, etc. would be about $600-$800 from the dealership but only $190 to the door in the Aisin TKT-030 kit online - this kit includes all of the real Toyota parts, including AISIN Water Pump, KOYO Idler Bearing, NSK Tensioner Bearing, NTN Hydraulic Tensioner, and the Mitsuboshi Timing Belt - these are the real dealership parts!

alternatively, Sewell Lexus dealership has the real Toyota/Aisin water pump for $88 or less

Crybicki - the reason you are having trouble with that fan clutch is that some Beavis has stripped the nuts by using the wrong tool, a 10mm box end wrench is the correct tool - it is going to be harder at this point - I would use narrow vice grips

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-01-13 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 02:01 PM
Crybicki
Rookie

Yeah Cowboy...I am getting super frustrated. I am going to try and work around that part now because I REALLY don't want to strip them out anymore than they already are. Maybe some higher power will grant me mercy and I won't have to take that off? High hopes... LOL
Old 08-01-13, 02:12 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

and I have another question, why are you so certain that the water pump is the culprit? - I know you checked some things, but there are a few other things to check

on LS400's that I have seen overheat, water pump failure is far down the list of most common causes

for example:

● something as simple as a defective radiator cap, and radiators themselves will typically become clogged and cause a Lexus to overheat far more often than a water pump, especially if the Toyota red coolant was not used throughout the cars life.

● what was the result of that cooling fan check you did, looking at fuses is not enough, you have to verify that the fan is coming on and going off when it is supposed to

● I would inspect the exterior of the A/C condenser for evidence of being clogged with bugs and other debris

● an overcharged A/C system or that fan clutch you are having trouble with are reasons a car would overheat that are just as common or more-so than the water pump!

PS - that dog is very cool

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-01-13 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 02:23 PM
Crybicki
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
and I have another question, why are you so certain that the water pump is the culprit? - I know you checked some things, but there are a few other things to check

on LS400's that I have seen overheat, water pump failure is far down the list of most common causes

for example:

● something as simple as a defective radiator cap, and radiators themselves will typically become clogged and cause a Lexus to overheat more often than a water pump, especially if the Toyota red coolant was not used throughout the cars life.

● what was the result of that cooling fan check you did, looking at fuses is not enough, you have to verify that the fan is coming on and going off when it is supposed to

● I would inspect the exterior of the A/C condenser for evidence of being clogged with bugs and other debris

● an overcharged A/C system or that fan clutch you are having trouble with are reasons a car would overheat that are just as common or more-so than the water pump!

PS - that dog is very cool
Radiator cap is brand new, just bought that a couple months ago.

I have no idea how long it has been since the toyota red coolant was used because when I bought the car, it was green. Since I emptied the radiator today, i'll be putting the red coolant back in.

The two cooling fans do work, but when the car was overheating, they werent turning on. But when I shut the car off and just turned the power on, didn't start it, the fans came on. So I know those do work.

The thing with the overheating is that, it's not just overheating when I drive it. When I start it and just let it sit, never taking it out of park, i can watch the gauge go up 4-5 lines within 5 minutes.

The AC condensor and radiator are both clear of debris, as I can see both right now with the state that the car is in.

And the A/C hasn't worked for over a year so, nothing has been done to the A/C system at all.

And to answer your original question: I am not even positive. It was just a gut feeling. And since I checked forums and websites for an entire day before doing any work to it, that's the conclusion I came to. And my other thought was that it hasn't been done since I bought the car, and I haven't a clue if the previous owner before me did it so I figure, what the hell, i'll do the water pump, and if that doesn't fix it then I'll move on to the next thing.

I guess I'm just optimistic.. lol!
Old 08-01-13, 02:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Crybicki
Yeah Cowboy...I am getting super frustrated. I am going to try and work around that part now because I REALLY don't want to strip them out anymore than they already are. Maybe some higher power will grant me mercy and I won't have to take that off? High hopes... LOL
ummm, after reading that, we need to talk! - call me

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-01-13 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Oh CL...LONG day ahead...93 LS400 Water Pump