LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP! body work guys! LS400 MAJOR quarter panel damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 09:59 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

There are cases where both insurance companies are involved. But if a driver has full coverage and the owner of the vehicle does not comprehensive could go to the owners insurance and collision would go to the driver.
Old 07-28-13, 10:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
There are cases where both insurance companies are involved. But if a driver has full coverage and the owner of the vehicle does not comprehensive could go to the owners insurance and collision would go to the driver.

I see.
I've never heard of that before.Do you know if that applies to all states?
Old 07-28-13, 10:06 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I see.
I've never heard of that before.Do you know if that applies to all states?
Yes, to my knowledge. Full coverage covers you whether you are driving your car or another car including rental cars. I always maintain full coverage on all my vehicles with at least 100,000/300,000 in comprehensive. You should always think of insurance as insuring yourself and not so much the car.
Old 07-28-13, 10:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, to my knowledge. Full coverage covers you whether you are driving your car or another car including rental cars. I always maintain full coverage on all my vehicles with at least 100,000/300,000 in comprehensive. You should always think of insurance as insuring yourself and not so much the car.

Interesting.
I have $250K/$500K and a $1M Umbrella policy.
Old 07-28-13, 10:12 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Based on recent experiences with my 2000 LS400, I'm guessing it would cost from $12,000 to $15,000 to have the OP's car professionally repaired.

To give you an idea, the damage shown in the attached photo cost over $8,000 to repair last fall at the body shop owned by the Lexus dealer. At least the A-hole texting S.O.B. hit me while I was stopped at a traffic light in front of the body shop.

A year earlier my car had damage that looks similar to the OP's front end/fender damage - required new bumper cover, new driver side front fender, new turn signal, new fog light, driver door repaired and repainted and blending the paint into the rear driver side door. That one cost over $4,000. Lucky we weren't injured by the flying debris (car parts?) that countless other vehicles also hit..
Attached Thumbnails HELP! body work guys! LS400 MAJOR quarter panel damage-rear-view-1-for-sharing.jpg  
Old 07-28-13, 10:25 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Based on recent experiences with my 2000 LS400, I'm guessing it would cost from $12,000 to $15,000 to have the OP's car professionally repaired.

To give you an idea, the damage shown in the attached photo cost over $8,000 to repair last fall at the body shop owned by the Lexus dealer. At least the A-hole texting S.O.B. hit me while I was stopped at a traffic light in front of the body shop.

A year earlier my car had damage that looks similar to the OP's front end/fender damage - required new bumper cover, new driver side front fender, new turn signal, new fog light, driver door repaired and repainted and blending the paint into the rear driver side door. That one cost over $4,000. Lucky we weren't injured by the flying debris (car parts?) that countless other vehicles also hit..
WOW. I did not realize body work cost so much. But then again I'm not in that business.

I have found a shop close to my place that handles everything. Even frame work. I'm going over there Monday morning to assess the damage.
Old 07-28-13, 10:30 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Interesting.
I have $250K/$500K and a $1M Umbrella policy.
Smart choice. The more assets you have the more you should carry. The additional cost is minimal too.
Old 07-28-13, 10:45 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Smart choice. The more assets you have the more you should carry. The additional cost is minimal too.
I have a buddy that works for State Farm and I recently switched them through him. So from what we just spoke about was that the drivers insurance will not cover the damages. I will still have my girlfriend call her insurance company Monday just to make sure.

My buddy is going to dig into the archives of the insurance world and see what he can do for me.
Old 07-28-13, 10:46 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's gonna get very expensive really quick esp with the quarter panel damage. just buy your GF a older civic to drive around. lol
Old 07-28-13, 11:29 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

seriously, find an LS at a yard and cut the quarter panel out for about 100 bucks.

Just remember to tack it every 6", then 4", then 2" , as not to heat up and warp the panel. Finish weld, grind,bodyfiller,sand,prime,paint

I did it on my old SC300..the damage was about the same as yours. ;p

Bodyshops tend to rip people off because they tend to charge top $$ when dealing with ins. companies. Find a private party if its not sumthing u wanna do.

Id help if I were there

Good luck!!
Old 07-28-13, 03:20 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

I'm going to go with PD on this one. You probably tweaked the frame. My roommate rear ended my LS while parked trying to stop a manual 4runner while still in gear. The tow hitch punched a hole in the bumper but that is all. This was enough to tweak the whole rear end of the car so that the trunk lines are no longer straight and the tail light is slightly misaligned.
Old 07-28-13, 03:33 PM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by j2b4o
I'm going to go with PD on this one. You probably tweaked the frame. My roommate rear ended my LS while parked trying to stop a manual 4runner while still in gear. The tow hitch punched a hole in the bumper but that is all. This was enough to tweak the whole rear end of the car so that the trunk lines are no longer straight and the tail light is slightly misaligned.
I'm going to a shop tomorrow and I guess we'll determine then if the car can be saved or not.
Old 07-28-13, 04:22 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Myth #2: If someone else is driving my car and they get into an accident - their insurance will cover the damages.

If your friend gets into an accident while driving your car, you could be held financially responsible for any damages. In most states, the auto insurance policy that covers the vehicle - your policy - is considered to be the "primary" policy that will cover any damages caused by an accident. However, if your policy limits are too low and does not cover all the damages, there is the possibility that the driver’s insurance policy may have to pay the remainder. This is subject to your state’s insurance regulations.

I think I may have been off a bit. The collision and comprehensive will follow you in rented vehicles but not necessarily borrowed vehicles. It does depend on the state's regulations. Nonetheless, full coverage is worth it!
Old 07-28-13, 06:07 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Myth #2: If someone else is driving my car and they get into an accident - their insurance will cover the damages.

If your friend gets into an accident while driving your car, you could be held financially responsible for any damages. In most states, the auto insurance policy that covers the vehicle - your policy - is considered to be the "primary" policy that will cover any damages caused by an accident. However, if your policy limits are too low and does not cover all the damages, there is the possibility that the driver’s insurance policy may have to pay the remainder. This is subject to your state’s insurance regulations.

I think I may have been off a bit. The collision and comprehensive will follow you in rented vehicles but not necessarily borrowed vehicles. It does depend on the state's regulations. Nonetheless, full coverage is worth it!
True....

Ive been sued before because of this.

OP: even if it is totaled...just fix it.
Old 07-29-13, 10:14 AM
Upscale
Driver School Candidate

The claim has been filed. I'll be contacted in a couple days for investigation and hopefully we can get this straightened out.

Quick Reply: HELP! body work guys! LS400 MAJOR quarter panel damage