LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 04:10 AM
MValentine
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Im finally going to be working on my brakes for the first time since i was finally able to get all the correct tools. ill be replacing the rear brake pads with some centric posi quiet ceramic pads with shims and hardware kit. i have a few questions before i start and i just want to be sure im doing it correctly. i had to get a new fitting kit according to my buddy who installed my rotors for me. since the posi quiet pads come with the shims and hardware. i know i wont have to order a shim kit, but does the hardware included with the pads the same thing as a fitting kit? or would i still have to order the fitting kit from lexus? when installing the pads would i need to apply any type of brake grease to the pads? or just the shims alone? and lastly prior to even starting the pad replacement. would i have to bleed the brakes? if not what steps do i have to do in regards to the brake fluid? or do i just take some out of the reservoir under the hood, then add if needed?
Old 07-05-13, 05:19 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Break grease is optional. Most people will use it. If your new pads come with shim kit than you don't need to order any from Lexus.

See this for more help if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/rbpad.html
Old 07-05-13, 05:20 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

it sounds like you dont have a clue as to what you are doing, so I suggest you get your buddy to show you HOW the first time, yours and someones life may depend on your brakes.... that is a bad place to start your DIY training.

Last edited by billydpowe; 07-05-13 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 05:35 AM
MValentine
Driver

yeah i havent done any brake jobs for over several years since i took auto shop in high school. i just wanted some clarification on how to do it correctly. suspension is just one of those things i havent worked on yet. my buddy will definitely be there to help me out. i was just confused with the fitting kit from lexus compared to centric saying it includes a hardwire kit. i also just downloaded the factory repair manual. so ill read over that prior to tackling the job.
Old 07-05-13, 05:42 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Good, and be sure to check out the tutorial in post #2..... you are on the right track..
Old 07-05-13, 09:17 AM
MValentine
Driver

so i removed the lug nuts and the wheels. and noticed that my rear rotors dont have the screw to hold the rotor in place. are this screws necessary?
Old 07-05-13, 12:03 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yours are missing?? Better find some they do have a function.
Old 07-05-13, 12:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

not 100% life or death required, but I would spend the $1-2 and get another one.
Old 07-05-13, 01:14 PM
MValentine
Driver

well heres a picture of my rotors, the front is the left and the rear is the right. the front rotors have the holes for the screws. but i noticed that the rears dont for some reason. what would i do in that case?

Old 07-05-13, 01:29 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

they show up here:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
br-42.pdf (27.3 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-05-13, 01:50 PM
MValentine
Driver

Originally Posted by billydpowe
they show up here:
whats the part number or size screw? does that one just screw in and rest again the hub? the screw thats in the sewell catalog is different.
Old 07-06-13, 09:44 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MValentine
whats the part number or size screw? does that one just screw in and rest again the hub? the screw thats in the sewell catalog is different.
There are many things in life and on your car to worry about. These small screws are not one of them. Many cars do not even have them. The best I can tell is they hold the rotor in place while the wheel is off (they stay in place most of the time on their own) so they don't flop around as you are working . When the wheel is on your 5 lug nuts hold the rotor in place---not those tiny soft screws. If you lost a wheel as you are traveling down the road, those screws are NOT going to hold the rotor in place, and it wouldn't make much difference if they did. Most people will say "Lexus put them there for a reason" so they will insist you would be crazy to operate your car without them. Believe me, there is ZERO danger driving your car without these screws.
Old 07-06-13, 10:57 AM
dc893
Lead Lap

I had the same question as OP when I changed my rotors for the first time. From what I have read and heard is that those screws were only put in to hold the rotor on during the assembly process. Most people just take them out and never put them back in. My car does not have those screws on any of the rotors and it is 100% fine.
Old 07-06-13, 10:27 PM
drr999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by midwest2
TIf you lost a wheel as you are traveling down the road, those screws are NOT going to hold the rotor in place, and it wouldn't make much difference if they did.
even if you lost a wheel your rotor wouldnt come off unless your caliper went with it. if you really want to hold the rotor in place while you are assembling, just install a lug nut it will do the same thing.

once you are done pump the brakes a couple times before you move the car. this will seat the pads against the rotor where they are supposed to be instead of having to move all the way in the first time you try to brake.
Old 07-07-13, 12:25 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MValentine
well heres a picture of my rotors, the front is the left and the rear is the right. the front rotors have the holes for the screws. but i noticed that the rears dont for some reason. what would i do in that case?

Where did you score the rotors?

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Pad Replacement