LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

RPM Gauge - Works/Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 02:58 PM
Jmac1773
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Gauge - Works/Doesn't Work

Before I start this let me say I did search. And I didn't find anything besides whole gauge cluster illumination problems or needle problems etc.

ANYWAY... my RPM gauge works about half the time. Sometimes on my short trips it doesn't work at all - sometimes it starts working halfway through my drive - other times it works from start to finish of my drive.

it's not a huge deal. It's just annoying. (And if it's a lot of $ to fix I'm not going to bother with it.

Any ideas? Thanks!!
Old 06-13-13, 03:25 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also searched and found pages of information regarding sticky speedo and tacho needles.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-not-work.html
Old 06-13-13, 05:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

this can also be a sign of igniter issues or failing ECU capacitors, especially in 97 and earlier models, with 93-97 being the most common for failing ECU caps
Old 06-14-13, 02:17 PM
Jmac1773
Driver School Candidate

LSCowboy... thanks for the info!!

steve2006.... sorry you felt bothered to search for me. Your results were almost totally irrelevant, by the way.

Sheesh... I've never been on a board that was so "hey dumbass, don't ask us anything. SEARCH!!!!" than this one. I thought folks were supposed to be supportive of their common interests on boards like these. I guess I was wrong about this one. And that's a shame because it seems like there are a lot of good people on this board. Besides the "SEARCH, you idiot!!!" people.

Just my $0.02.
Old 06-14-13, 02:39 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...r/#entry462268

Guy at the end of the thread has a fix.
Old 06-14-13, 02:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmac1773
LSCowboy... thanks for the info!!

steve2006.... sorry you felt bothered to search for me. Your results were almost totally irrelevant, by the way.

Sheesh... I've never been on a board that was so "hey dumbass, don't ask us anything. SEARCH!!!!" than this one. I thought folks were supposed to be supportive of their common interests on boards like these. I guess I was wrong about this one. And that's a shame because it seems like there are a lot of good people on this board. Besides the "SEARCH, you idiot!!!" people.

Just my $0.02.
Your overreacting. Don't read into things that were most likely not there.

The problem, more often then not, is the cluster. As LSCowboy said, the ecu can affect this but much more often then not it is the cluster. The needles stick. Both my speedometer and tach are prone to this. Also, it is much more prevalent in the summer heat vs cooler winter.

Check local shops for pricing. DNA Speedometers out of Tampa is probably where I am going to send mine. $150.00
Old 06-14-13, 06:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmac1773
Before I start this let me say I did search. And I didn't find anything besides whole gauge cluster illumination problems or needle problems etc.

ANYWAY... my RPM gauge works about half the time. Sometimes on my short trips it doesn't work at all - sometimes it starts working halfway through my drive - other times it works from start to finish of my drive.

it's not a huge deal. It's just annoying. (And if it's a lot of $ to fix I'm not going to bother with it.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

nobody made any personal attacks against you.

Searching is the first step as over the years the problem you are facing has an EXTREMELY high probability of having been faced by someone else who found a solution in the years since ClubLexus was started.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 06-14-13 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-19-13, 12:01 PM
MikieLs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem on my 99 ls400 its was a sticky speedo i just knock on the dash and it works LOL
The following users liked this post:
dlcoffin (09-05-22)
Old 06-26-13, 09:55 AM
Doc Yota
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the sticky tach on my 99. Doesn't happen to often. I pop the top of the dash....and good to go...
The following users liked this post:
dlcoffin (09-05-22)
Old 06-26-13, 10:59 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

you pop meaning you slap the top of the dash with your hand?
Old 06-26-13, 11:52 AM
xyzzy_dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP said it wasn't working but didn't say what the symptom was. Like others have said, a good smack to the top of the dashboard over the gauge frees a sticky needle.

re: searching... I always search before posting but don't always find it, even though I know it's likely to be somewhere in the archives. . The terms I use to describe something may not be the same ones others use.
Old 06-26-13, 11:56 AM
Dutchy
Driver

Same here, few weeks ago my speedo and rpm gauge dident work. A small knock on the dash fixed it. This happened about 4 times. Now allready for 2 week good..
Old 06-26-13, 11:57 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
you pop meaning you slap the top of the dash with your hand?
Yes... that is the correct term... I have this problem on my 95... mostly in the summer and only when it sits overnight...when I pop the dash... hit it with the palm of my hand on top of the dash, on top of either the speedo or the tach, the needles bounce back to life. Sticking needle problem that is solved by removing the grease on the back side of the unit. Have to disassemble to get to it... there is a thread I've seen. Don't have it handy, though. It is so infrequent that I have not bothered with fixing it.

I do find I have to hit either the tach or speedo side of the dash to free up the needles... one side won't do both... guess there is a lot of grease there...lol...
Old 06-26-13, 12:02 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I find the best way to search this site is with google.... or any site...for that matter... use the following syntax in the google search field...

'search topic' site:clublexus.com

and then browse through and see what you want to open up and look at...
That, 'site:' command works nicely...
Old 12-29-16, 01:03 PM
lanmandan
9th Gear

I recently purchased a 2002 IS300 Sport Cross. Everything was working on the car until this morning. The tachometer, MPG not working and the oil level light, and rear bulb indicator were on. What changed. Well here is what I found out. I had plugged in a USB phone charger to my cigarette lighter to charge my phone and started having the issues. Take out the USB phone charger and all issues go away. Weird but I can replicate the issue.

How does the cigar lighter have anything to do with the tachometer or any of these other dash issues?

Quick Reply: RPM Gauge - Works/Doesn't Work