LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

California Smog! Small catalytic converter option -93

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-13, 11:06 PM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default California Smog! Small catalytic converter option -93

This is the first time I have had to "comply" with California smog laws since recent changes were made.

You *must* use the official California Catalytic converter. The 3rd cat downstream (that many LS400 owners don't have in other states) is Magnaflow part # 38105.

This is a 2.25" in/out straight catalytic. I begged and pleaded with my smog guy to allow something with a larger diameter but no dice.

It arrives tomorrow, I'll put up some pictures. Im thinking of having it modified to 2.5 in and out". The thought of a 1UZ breathing through a single 2.25" pipe just seems crazy. The body of the catalytic is usually very large. It's just the end pipes that are small.

Another crazy possibility would be to run 2 of them. 2.25" per side would be nice but expensive.

Last edited by RA40; 06-11-13 at 01:33 PM. Reason: title addition
Old 06-06-13, 12:43 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

find a proper smog place. Not all cali cars had the 3rd cats.

There's nothing on the car that says it has a 3rd cat as far as I know.
Old 06-06-13, 12:57 AM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

Mine comes up as a Cali car

Also have to go to a STAR smog station, the new rules starting in Jan 1 2013

The guys at the smog shop are even my friends and they dont want to budge an inch on the laws.

They are very concerned with the "code" stamped on the bottom. So I'm going to bring them the cat tomorrow and ask if I can modify the ends. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

I was trying to get them to let me use the GS430 catalytic which is 2.5" in and out.

Last edited by CIGLexus; 06-06-13 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-06-13, 01:58 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

not understanding this thread, I suppose it is because I am not living in Cali, but if your car is stock, as it was originally sold, and operating correctly, why wouldn't it pass?
Old 06-06-13, 12:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The Star stations are closely monitored by BAR. So yeah, they don't want their license yanked and fines imposed.

Doesn't makes sense about AB 2289 on the LS400's:
AB 2289
Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.

Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.

AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.
I had the test done last year so as far as I was aware, the cars had to comply with the stricter tail pipe restrictions. A properly running LS400, 95+ will pass the test easily. Of course there has been the law about modified emissions systems so modding the exhaust cat's forward is going to be a problem not only visually but the tail pipe because it fails visual.

The other is just plain sampling of older cars. If the exhaust is stock, I'm not understanding why this additional cat is required?
Old 06-06-13, 12:40 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.
this is what the two post-cat O2 sensors are there for, they have nothing to do with how the car runs, they are the "tattletale" O2 sensors that tell on your car when it's been naughty and stinky
Old 06-06-13, 01:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The Cali smog has been a PITA for performance mods. They already plug the car in AND do tail pipe at the test stations. At least that is what I observed with ours last August. Eliminating the tail pipe will save about 8 minutes per car. The routine in-out was about 20 minutes, most of that was the visual inspection. He'd get down and look under he car, used a mirror then in the engine compartment and gas cap test. Rollers was the final.

So many updates to the Cali smog over the years. This has more impact for those of us driving these aging barges. New cars pass with a blink. The EGR system and any aged car is easily fouled by a O2 sensor going south, poor maintenance of the ignition system combined with lousy gas choices.
Old 06-06-13, 02:17 PM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

The rear cat is suspected to be bad. The original rear cat from this car was switched to another LS400 to help it pass smog, so I have his old one.

I was hoping to change the rear cat and upgrade the exhaust diameter at the same.

The cat came in. It is actually 2.25" ID (NOT OD), so not as bad as I had though. I don't think it will be worth the time to mod it to 2.5".

Will be installed next week, will have pictures of the old cat as well.

Last edited by CIGLexus; 06-06-13 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 05:58 PM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

pics!

Typical online cost $120 shipped
Attached Thumbnails California Smog! Small catalytic converter option -93-cam00329.jpg   California Smog! Small catalytic converter option -93-cam00330.jpg   California Smog! Small catalytic converter option -93-cam00331.jpg  
Old 06-06-13, 07:20 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

My 99 is a cali stamped car though it never spent any time there. There is no 3rd or 'rear' cat. There are two cats just like the rest of them. After the cats are the resonators. Sounds like your not running cats and are stuck now...

This is why they changed the laws.
Attached Thumbnails California Smog! Small catalytic converter option -93-o2_sensor_simulator_cel_fix.jpg   California Smog! Small catalytic converter option -93-o2_sensor_simulator_wiring_d.jpg  

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-06-13 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 09:25 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo

(Sold)
2007 Mustang GT - 2007 Sedona - 2005 Mustang V6 - 1998 Saturn SC2 - 1996 Saturn SL2 - 1980 Cutlas Supreme
I love it, he kept the two good cars and sold all the CRAP

hey, is that device in your previous pic a trick to beat the smog test?
Old 06-06-13, 10:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you misunderstand, what I'm saying is afaik not all cali cars had the 3rd cat, and as such (since it isn't monitored) it shouldn't be a visual fail.
Old 06-07-13, 05:55 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I love it, he kept the two good cars and sold all the CRAP

hey, is that device in your previous pic a trick to beat the smog test?
The Mustang's were good for the time I owned them... Which, was too long. The worst was the computer controlled carb on the Cutlass.

That pic is of an O2 simulator for the 400.

You know it's funny, the last time I did my inspection my wife had the car. Anyway, I just brought the registration with me and for an extra $10.00 I got my certificate. Without the car even there. But I actually run my cats. Too many gross polluters as it is.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-07-13 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-07-13, 02:40 PM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

I found out that my car has an old aftermarket cat in the 3rd spot from years ago. This is why it will not pass visual.
Old 06-07-13, 08:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

What year is yours?

I just looked under our '97 and it has the center resonator. Why the prior owner of yours would put a cat there is

Quick Reply: California Smog! Small catalytic converter option -93