LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

California Smog! Small catalytic converter option -93

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 11:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

OP what makes you think it's a cat and not a resonator?
Old 06-11-13, 12:23 PM
Rack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clear up some confusion about legality, whatever the original car had in the exhaust line in terms of cats and sensors, that's what it must be after you replace anything also. If it had 3, it must have 3. It doesn't matter what other cats or other years have. It only matters what came on the car when it was new.

Also, used cats are NOT legal. If a SMOG shop sees that you replaced a cat and put a used one on, they will most likely fail you.

A 93 should be less strict than a 97. A 93 is pre-obdii.
If you have questions, if I were you, call the guys or email at www.californialegalconverters.com
I've spoke to them several time, and they always help me out
Old 06-11-13, 01:53 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rack
Also, used cats are NOT legal. If a SMOG shop sees that you replaced a cat and put a used one on, they will most likely fail you.
just make sure it looks right, to pass the visual portion

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-12-13 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 02:29 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You know, I do remember speaking with Magnaflow when I had whole failing cat debacle. Magnaflow does sell two cats for the 99. Both were rated with the correct load in precious metal content to last but only one was CA certified. Good ole' CA

Old 06-11-13, 03:13 PM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The 3rd cat is an aftermarket one someone installed a couple of years ago.

Hopefully I can find an original resonator setup from a junked LS after the smog is complete.

Last edited by CIGLexus; 06-11-13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 03:51 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

now I could see them busting the OP if the exhaust system is not stock and it's not passing
Old 06-11-13, 11:34 PM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New to the forums here... I just recently purchased a 91 LS400 and have yet to register it. Since registration is current until September, I thought I would wait until then. However when I came across this thread I got a bit alarmed wondering if my newly acquired LS is going to have trouble passing smog due to the restrictions that I was not aware of going into effect this year.

Can someone tell me if this is going to require me to drop a bunch of cash to get my car up to spec? As far as I am aware, everything is stock. I am not a mechanic by any stretch either.

Thanks,

B
Old 06-12-13, 01:17 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I just recently purchased a 91 LS400 and have yet to register it.
The seller was required to provide you with a smog test result performed within the last 90 days

the law from CARB/CBAR:
Question: Who is responsible for obtaining a Smog Check when a vehicle is sold?

Answer: Section 24007 (b)(2) of the Vehicle Code states it is the responsibility of the seller to provide a valid smog certificate at the time of delivery of the vehicle.

Question: I just purchased a vehicle and the seller did not provide a Smog Check certificate. The vehicle needs repairs in order to pass. What should I do?

Answer: Go back to the seller, inform them about Vehicle Code section 24007 (b)(2), and try to work things out amicably. If that fails, you have the option to pay for the repairs and the Smog Check yourself, and then take the seller to court to recover your costs. Although the law clearly supports the buyer, collecting on a court judgment can be difficult. The amicable solution is usually best. If the seller is a state-licensed auto dealer, buyers have the additional option of filing a complaint with the DMV, which regulates new- and used-car dealers.

Can someone tell me if this is going to require me to drop a bunch of cash to get my car up to spec? As far as I am aware, everything is stock.
No, the law is that your LS400 only has to meet the original spec that was in place when it was new, in other words, if your engine and ECU and emissions parts (catalytic converter, charcoal canister, fuel filler cap, etc.) are working correctly and not worn out, then your car will put out amounts of HC, NOx etc. that are permissible under the standards in place in 1991, and that is all you have to meet.

the law from CARB/CBAR:

Q: Is the Smog Check program biased against older vehicles?

A: No. While California law requires the Smog Check program to focus on high-polluting vehicles, it does not discriminate based on vehicle age or a specific vehicle make or model. All types and model years of vehicles can be a high emitter, which is based on a comparison of each vehicle with similar makes, models and years. Furthermore, Smog Check does not require owners of "classic" or "older" vehicles to retrofit these vehicles to meet newer standards. BAR's emissions take into consideration the age, make and model of each vehicle. No vehicle is held to a more stringent standard than the standard which applied when the vehicle was new

A newer car must meet much tighter standards.

So in summary, if your car is running right, and your cat. converters are in good shape, then you're fine and will pass with flying colors, but if it is not running right, due to a defective fuel injection component, for example, then it likely won't pass. Have you had a check engine light come on or anything?

They can also have an issue if you have modified the exhaust system, but you said yours is stock, so you're fine in that case.

here is the law from CARB/CBAR:

Q: What are the elements of a Smog Check?

A: In order for your vehicle to receive a Smog Check certificate, it must pass all the following elements of a Smog Check inspection:

A visual inspection, in which required emissions control components and systems are identified, and must appear connected and functional.
A functional inspection which includes, as applicable, checking the functionality and/or integrity of the emissions control malfunction indicator light ("Check Engine", etc), the ignition timing, the gas cap, and the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, if the vehicle is so equipped and a Two-Speed Idle (TSI) test is being performed. A Low Pressure Fuel Evaporative Test (LPFET) is performed on all 1995 and older vehicles. A functional check of a vehicle's On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system is also performed on 1996 and newer vehicles. Diagnostic information stored in the vehicle's computer is reported on the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) that the motorist receives at the end of the Smog Check inspection. OBD information can save time and money when repairs are required.
A tailpipe emissions test, which measures exhaust emissions using a probe inserted into the vehicle's tailpipe during testing. Vehicles pass or fail this part of the Smog Check inspection based on established emission standards, sometimes called cutpoints.

Q: What is the "underhood" inspection portion of the Smog Check? Why is it necessary if you pass the tailpipe inspection?

A: The tailpipe test alone cannot guarantee that a car is not emitting harmful amounts of pollutants into California's air. In fact, to obtain a Smog Check certificate, a vehicle must pass all three portions of the Smog Check inspection-the visual, functional and tailpipe inspections (see previous question).

An "underhood" inspection comprises the visual and functional portions of the Smog Check inspection. The visual inspection ensures that the vehicle has all of the proper equipment and that none of its parts are disconnected or modified. The visual inspection helps prevent evaporative emissions. These occur even when the vehicle is parked, and may be the result of poorly connected or improper equipment.

On the old, two-speed idle (TSI) test, the functional inspection ensures that the ignition timing is set to the manufacturer's specifications and that the EGR valve is functioning. The functional portion of the TSI test is especially important because the tailpipe inspection cannot measure oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions-a key precursor to smog. The EGR test is not a part of the new dynamometer test, because that test does measure for NOx. The newest part of the functional test is the fuel cap test, which is used to help prevent evaporative emissions.

The visual and functional tests help identify vehicles with tampered emissions control systems. These vehicles may be configured to pass the tailpipe portion of the Smog Check inspection, but altered later to produce more emissions than allowed. This gave the previous program the reputation of passing vehicles which were "clean for a day," rather than clean until the vehicles' next Smog Check. Vehicles which were only "clean for a day" hindered California from meeting its clean air goals.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-12-13 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-12-13, 08:02 AM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woot! Thank you for all of that valuable info! I was sold the LS from a local guy here who I found on Craig's List. I picked it up for a very good price after negotiating and had it inspected by a mechanic. I only had to replace the brakes and rotors and fix that notorious power steering leak the first gen LS has.

Best,

B

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
The seller was required to provide you with a smog test result performed within the last 90 days

the law from CARB/CBAR:

No, the law is that your LS400 only has to meet the original spec that was in place when it was new, in other words, if your engine and ECU and emissions parts (catalytic converter, charcoal canister, fuel filler cap, etc.) are working correctly and not worn out, then your car will put out amounts of HC, NOx etc. that are permissible under the standards in place in 1991, and that is all you have to meet.

the law from CARB/CBAR:

A newer car must meet much tighter standards.

So in summary, if your car is running right, and your cat. converters are in good shape, then you're fine and will pass with flying colors, but if it is not running right, due to a defective fuel injection component, for example, then it likely won't pass. Have you had a check engine light come on or anything?

They can also have an issue if you have modified the exhaust system, but you said yours is stock, so you're fine in that case.

here is the law from CARB/CBAR:
Old 06-13-13, 02:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Smog places don't care if you have a modified exhaust provided it's after the factory cats. Anything before the cats is only allowable if it's been issued a CARB E.O. number proving it's compliance (nothing aftermarket other than stock-replacement type stuff is CARB'd for the LS400s iirc).