LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

lower ball joint + crack noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-03, 09:22 PM
Lvangundy

Default lower ball joint + crack noise

HEY all -

I ordered a lower ball joint about a month ago and finally got it installed. Ever since I got my tokicos in there has been this loud crack noise whenver I go over a good dip/bump.

One thing I was told to try was replacing the lower ball joints. so I bought one (could only afford one) and I don't think it solved the problem. I heard one good crack after I exited the place, but it was an even dip but maybe it only came from one side.

Will keep testing.

OH! And you know what the weird wire was hanging from under the car??

My O2 sensor wire got ripped! tech told me they had to replace the whole O2 unit which includes removing the passenger seat.
More and more goes wrong..but no check engine light.
Old 01-02-03, 11:52 PM
95ls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cracking noise happen on not one but couple cars I own after installed a high performance struts on them, My LS400, Nissan Maxima and a Honda Accord. I guess the noise in came from those factory rubber busing since after market strut put more stress on them. If I put factory strut back on the noise go away so I guess you have to live with the cracking noise.
Old 01-03-03, 03:04 AM
Lvangundy

More notes so far..

The side I replaced the ball joint on is higher. About a finger width more space from wheel to fender. Car drives a little more smooth and I think the clank is still there.

I also replaced my other stock headlight (so I have 2 silverstars now) even after my bad review. The cutoff line is pretty non-existant but the light spreads further out. So - so..
Old 01-07-03, 05:12 PM
DougS68
Driver School Candidate

I just got my '95 LS400 (114,000 miles) back from a trusted private brake shop and had them replace the two front contoll arms. It was making a clunking sound over rough road and bumps. (Speed bumps were becomming torteruous.)

Long story short, those couls be wearing out. It cost me $470.00 total and drives like a whole new car.
Old 01-07-03, 07:59 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

hey dougs68 did it feel like something was loose and could u feel it in the car sometimes? i think i have the same problem now, but mines makes noise over just about any bumps! does your car have air ride or a regular suspension?
Old 01-07-03, 09:56 PM
DougS68
Driver School Candidate

I could hear and feel it in the car even at the slightest bump in the road, god help you on a bad road. It also gave me a knock or a clunk when I put the breaks on quickly, I initially thought I had a loose brake calliper or something. I have the adjustable suspension on mine.

I love my car again!
Old 01-07-03, 11:39 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

then i must have the same problem. thanks alot for the input!
Old 01-22-03, 04:26 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

Originally posted by DougS68
I could hear and feel it in the car even at the slightest bump in the road, god help you on a bad road. It also gave me a knock or a clunk when I put the breaks on quickly, I initially thought I had a loose brake calliper or something. I have the adjustable suspension on mine.

I love my car again!
I had the exact problem in my 92 LS400. Replaced both front ball joints and the Lexus Mech. also lubricated the sway bar bushings and the sound went away!
Old 01-22-03, 10:54 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

i just checked my sway bar for play at the bushings and sure enough there was play and we all know just the skightest movement from the sway bars car make a ton of noise so i'm going to install the bushings and hopefully i won't have to buy control arms.
Old 01-22-03, 11:23 PM
Lvangundy

I think my problem is a little different than the sway bushings.

I can hit a dip especially when the car is at an angle, or a heavy person sits in the car (which lowers it) it makes a LOUD single CRACK sound.

I ordered my left ball joint so we'll see after I get it installed.
Old 01-24-03, 09:33 PM
Pilot
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same noise!

I recently changed over to Tokico struts on all 4 corners. This is exactly when I started hearing the clunking noise when going over a small bump, or the slight bump at the start of my driveway. I just discovered the source the other day.
I had taken the front tires off several times trying to find something loose which would cause the noise. Finally just last week, I took the right front tire off again after still hearing the noise. I checked everything, and then bumped the upper control arm from side to side, and heard the distinct clicking noise! I could get just a very slight movement out of the upper control arm right side bushing. I was thinking about changing the bushings when I discovered you can only purchase the complete control arm at over 300.00 each! (ouch) I then put a wrench to the upper arm attachment bolts, and was able to get about 1/2 turn on each side. This cut the noticeable end play to what feels like just a few thousands of an inch. (I use to be a machinist)
I am now going to hold off on replacing the complete control arms, as the wear seems to be very small at this point.
I thought this had cured the noise, but finally did hear it again, but not as noticeable.
It is my opinion, that the new Tokico struts are working so much better than the old worn out struts, and in such a way to discover this very slight bushing wear. There is no chance the Tokico struts are the problem, but have only uncovered the slight movement of the upper control arms, which the old struts would not make happen.
I replaced my lower ball joints several months ago, so this is not part of the problem.

Pilot

91 LS400
133,000 miles.

Last edited by Pilot; 01-24-03 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-25-03, 02:37 AM
BrianV
Driver

Originally posted by DougS68
I just got my '95 LS400 (114,000 miles) back from a trusted private brake shop and had them replace the two front contoll arms. It was making a clunking sound over rough road and bumps. (Speed bumps were becomming torteruous.)

Long story short, those couls be wearing out. It cost me $470.00 total and drives like a whole new car.
I got this same problem, and the dealer I bought it from said they'd pay to get it fixed, but I've been lazy and haven't got it fixed. He told me he had a shop look at it and they said it was bad shocks, and the quote was $800, so he's prepared to pay that. However, I couldn't see how this noise would be shocks, but this sounds exactly like what it would be.
Old 01-25-03, 08:45 AM
Pilot
Rookie

Brian

I would get your car back to the dealer and have whatever replaced they want to fix. It will still save you down the road one way or the other.

Pilot
Old 01-26-03, 02:12 AM
dunn378
Pole Position

i just enstalled my new swaybar bushings and the banging noise in the front end is completly gone. thank GOD!!!!
Old 01-26-03, 10:03 AM
Pilot
Rookie

How much did you pay for the sway bar bushings?
Mine seem tight, but I guess it miight be worth it to replace these also.

Pilot

Quick Reply: lower ball joint + crack noise