LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'90 LS400 massive lack of power issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 01:15 PM
OralePinkY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '90 LS400 massive lack of power issue

I have a 90 LS, recent water pump done a month ago aswell as plugs and wires a couple of weeks before that. About 2 weeks ago while driving, the car decided to start dumping fuel in and lost a lot of power.
-236k miles on the ODO
-It also now takes longer to achieve operating temp and longer to shift up.
-CEL is not on (bulb is definitely ok, light stayed on simultaneously with 'TCS off' light before the replacment of water pump and both shut off after the replacement, not sure why)
-Engine has shut off in the middle of a 3 point turn (going from reverse to D) and while stopped at a light. (that was today while driving to work, have since started it up and has NOT shut off while idling)
-MAF has been replaced with a used one, also unplugging eithier maf showed no differance, as well as cleaning them with MAF cleaner.
-Initially, when I first put it on a lift the Cat's were glowing red hot so I replaced them with pipes (I'm not exactly rolling in dough) thinking they were clogged.

After doing research on the knock sensor and crank sensor, both seem to have CEL on as a sympton, and don't exactly have the same symptons as mine.
I am not in financial position to keep throwing parts at it, so any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 05-20-13, 01:29 PM
sanstoette
Driver School Candidate

I'd suggest finding a factory service manual, but Id look into the coolant temperature sensor.
Old 05-20-13, 02:35 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

from another thread. it seem it could be that your ECU capacitors are defective (common). check out the link in the quote below.

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
if it running very rich, with bad smelling exhaust and glowing cats, this is classic open loop operation, which can be caused by a malfunctioning ECU or several other reasons. the capacitor problem doesn't always show up under visual inspection, mine had to get really bad before there was any visible clue. - If you are a good solderer and have patience and attention to detail, then just replace the caps with the premium Japanese ones as detailed and linked to in post #1 of my ECU repair thread and eliminate that as a possibility - ECU cap problems are not a case of if it is going to happen, but rather, when!

PS - Florida seems to be the #1 state for ECU cap issues, must be the heat + humidity + salt air?
Old 05-20-13, 02:53 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sanstoette
I'd suggest finding a factory service manual, but Id look into the coolant temperature sensor.
I like this answer! but yeah, ECU capacitors is also a strong possibility

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 05-20-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 02:59 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OralePinkY
About 2 weeks ago while driving, the car decided to start dumping fuel in and lost a lot of power.

-Initially, when I first put it on a lift the Cat's were glowing red hot
these symptoms show the car was going into open loop operation, a strong indicator of a sick ECU, but certainly not the only possible cause.
Old 05-20-13, 03:31 PM
OralePinkY
Driver School Candidate

You guys are awesome!
I'll go pull the ecu and check the condition of the caps.
If it is the caps, would purchasing them from a electronics store be ok, or am I better off ordering them from Digikey?

Also called up autozone, they have a coolant temp sensor for 25$ w/ lifetime warranty, but I've heard of LS's having 3 temp sensors, how would I know its the one I'm looking for without pulling out the old one first?
Old 05-20-13, 03:57 PM
sanstoette
Driver School Candidate

The green sensor should be the one you want... the grey sensor next to it should be the one for your gauge cluster.

Old 05-20-13, 04:56 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OralePinkY
You guys are awesome!
I'll go pull the ecu and check the condition of the caps.
If it is the caps, would purchasing them from a electronics store be ok, or am I better off ordering them from Digikey?
please use ONLY the capacitors linked to in my thread, your local electronic store does note have these very rare and hard to find low-ESR premium Japanese capacitors

Also called up autozone, they have a coolant temp sensor for 25$ w/ lifetime warranty, but I've heard of LS's having 3 temp sensors, how would I know its the one I'm looking for without pulling out the old one first?
I would purchase the real Toyota coolant temp sensor (green one in photo) - some people have had luck with the Autozone version, but this is way too important of a part to go cheap and save a lousy $25 for one of the most critical sensors in the entire car. - the Toyota p/n is 89422-20010
Old 05-21-13, 01:40 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

The early 400's MAF shouldn't be cleaned. This thing is pretty sensitive to cleaners. Are one or both of the cats getting hot? Might be a coil. Hard to tell with out codes. Good luck.