LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How To: Catalytic Converter Delete For Less Than $20

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 08:23 PM
PerpLexusd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Catalytic Converter Delete For Less Than $20

So I was having some problems with lack of power in my car and tracked it down to the cats being clogged I pulled them off and one was completely destroyed inside. I start shopping around for a new one and they're like $200. I did what any logical person would do and decided to just get rid of them. Here's what I did...

To take off the catalytic converters there's a good how to on lexls.com
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/exhaust/fpipe.html

First off all the material
2 bad catalytic converters
2 2 1/2 ID 18" tailpipes (I got mine from autozone for $7 each)
Metal cut off discs (I went through 2 on the angle grinder)
Welder
Grinding wheel
Exhaust gaskets

First you're going to cut off the brackets from the cats, you can buy them on lextreme for like $60 if you want, but I figured I have a free set so I used those.

After you got them off grind them down so they look nice and shiny, if you notice the two brackets on the bottom have rings inside from the excess tube you want to keep at least two. But you want to keep the ones from the 2-hole brackets.

After you have the brackets cut off and ground down, you're going to get your tailpipe pieces and grind off the galvanization on one end. The pipes I got have one flared end, that's the first side I used

Now get the 3-hole bracket and put the pipe in it, the bracket has to be up a little about 1/4"

Put a couple tack welds on (something breakable in case the they're not in the right spot)

Now the cats are 10" end to end but just to be safe I cut the pipes a little long about 12"

Do a quick test fit to make sure it'll fit flush on the manifold

This is where my camera died, but next you're going make sure it fits then cut it to the right size, 10" next you grind off the galvanization from the tips again. Do another test fit to make sure everything is going to fit.

Mark on the tabs where the brackets are so you can tack it together in the right position.

This is where those rings from earlier come in. I think the metal from the cats were thicker then the new pipes, so the pipes fit perfectly inside the brackets with the rings in them. Tack the brackets together and do one last test fit

After everything is test fitted, go ahead and weld it together

And you're finished product

You can stop there and bolt it on or you can clean up the welds and paint if you want. I wanted to

Then bolt it up and enjoy your easier breathing Lexus

Last edited by PerpLexusd; 05-10-13 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-11-13, 06:22 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is the exahust clearance under the car? same as stock or tucked up?
Old 05-11-13, 06:31 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

does it affect your 02 sensors?
Old 05-11-13, 06:33 AM
oldyota
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up i was going to do this anyway without bad cats. Did you see/ hear results
Old 05-11-13, 10:23 AM
PerpLexusd
Rookie

Originally Posted by 240benzo
How is the exahust clearance under the car? same as stock or tucked up?
Same as stock I made the the same length as the catalytic converters

I'm not sure about the o2 sensors my cel has been on since I got rid of my egr, I haven't checked the codes yet to see if anything new has popped up.

And it sounds a little deeper but not much of a difference, from what I understand these cats are fairly unrestrictive so I don't think you get much gain from deleting them if they're still working
Old 05-11-13, 11:44 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You will have code 420 and 430 stuck on unless you get the 02 simulators. Considering it is bad for the environment and very minimal HP gains, I am a fan of just replacing failed converters with aftermarket ones. I'm not a tree huger but driving behind a car with no cats is...
Old 05-11-13, 03:42 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hows the smell?
Old 05-11-13, 06:26 PM
PerpLexusd
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You will have code 420 and 430 stuck on unless you get the 02 simulators. Considering it is bad for the environment and very minimal HP gains, I am a fan of just replacing failed converters with aftermarket ones. I'm not a tree huger but driving behind a car with no cats is...
I just checked my codes and I don't have any new codes arising due to them being gone, I would have got new ones also but I didn't have $$$ to spend on universal ones that would be more restrictive and I couldn't find my suitcase of gold bars to get an Oem replacement so I opted for the cheap route and got rid of them

Originally Posted by Dranom
Hows the smell?
I don't know, I haven't got behind the car to smell it, but from inside I haven't noticed anything
Old 05-11-13, 08:54 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

LS cats tend to be extremely reliable, and the car has more power and reliability with them than without them.

If this were a good plan, mine would have been off long ago.

It's not.
Old 05-11-13, 11:34 PM
IwantLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Cat Eff code and it came and went...I got tired of clearing the light so i threw in some FJcruiser cats i had sitting around and had the resonators removed and it sounds perfect and runs great. Cant hear it really. when your in it you hear a little bit. A good cat wont kill power. A failed cat will.
Old 05-12-13, 09:55 AM
PerpLexusd
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
LS cats tend to be extremely reliable, and the car has more power and reliability with them than without them.

If this were a good plan, mine would have been off long ago.

It's not.
I agree that they are reliable and efficient ,mine lasted 20 years, but sadly they still do fail at some point and mine did. But the car having more power with them isn't true, although without them the power gain is insignificant it still has a slight power gain.

It's kind of like having a napkin over your mouth while breathing, no matter how much it air it flows you're going to breathe better without it.

I am in no way saying this is a performance mod, rather an alternate to replacing expensive damaged parts
Old 05-12-13, 08:57 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you just gut the Cat, put a tail pipe inside of the cat, and then put the cat back on the car?
Old 05-13-13, 08:33 PM
PerpLexusd
Rookie

yeah probably but then you can't recycle them and get your money back
Old 05-14-13, 10:45 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i would have started the car with open downpipes like that and recorded a video for kicks! good work on the craftsmanship. clean welds!
Old 05-14-13, 11:03 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

So, I'm guessing you have no plans of passing the state inspection legally?

Quick Reply: How To: Catalytic Converter Delete For Less Than $20