LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New to me LS with Transmission issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 08:17 PM
Addicted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me LS with Transmission issues.

So, I bought a 92' LS 400 today. Original owner, 185K. The car is in good shape, but needs some TLC in some areas and some replacement parts.

I paid $900 for it. I got it cheap because the transmission is acting up. Basically, its slipping from time to time. And, periodically will not shift into reverse. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't, Fluid is full.

Once it starts to get warm it will stutter in 1st gear when under load trying to accelerate. Once up to speed, it will sometimes rev rpms up and slip. I'm 99% sure I just need to replace it. This does not feel like the typical solenoid issues on the A340 models I have had in the past. It feels like a slip.

I just want to check to see if this is something you guys have seen with a sensor or solenoid going out.

I have several local sources in Denver to get a used one. I am heading down in the AM to pick up a used one from a salvage yard for $200. Hopefully I can put it up on my lift and get it swapped out.

I also need to source a good HVAC computer as my screen is cracked and cannot be read. Also, the stock head unit is dead as well. I will likely just replace that with an aftermarket double din unit though. I also need to charge the A/C too.

Anyway, here she is. Not bad for $900 and a $200 tranny.
Attached Thumbnails New to me LS with Transmission issues.-lexus1.jpg   New to me LS with Transmission issues.-lexus2.jpg   New to me LS with Transmission issues.-lexus3.jpg   New to me LS with Transmission issues.-lexus4.jpg  
Old 05-03-13, 08:25 PM
Addicted
Driver School Candidate

On a side note, this is technically my 2nd LS in the stable. The other was a 96' but its a little different though:
Old 05-03-13, 10:47 PM
niteriyder
Driver School Candidate

NIce find! Seems to be relatively well kept for the miles
Old 05-03-13, 11:50 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Nice find. Is that a 1uz in the the buggy? more pics of both please.
Old 05-04-13, 04:54 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

before replacing this nearly bulletproof transmission, I would strongly suggest you replace ALL of the fluid with real Toyota T-IV and be very careful about the level, you said it is "full" but it is it actually a ways over full? - Aisin A340E doesn't like too much fluid, unless it is just a tiny bit over.

I would also change the filter which could be plugged with gook, and as this is the main pickup point for the entire fluid supply, that could make it act erratic, and you would have a chance to look in the pan and what you find inside will tell you whether this tranny is shot or just needs a little tune-up!
Old 05-04-13, 08:32 AM
diamondave
Driver

i agree with Lscowboy. Mine had a similar issue when i first bought it. sometimes it would quit pulling all together. i changed the fluid and filter and it has worked perfectly ever since. i also recommend using a bottle of Lucas transmission additive. Been using it for years and never had a trans go out with it in there. Personally thats the first thing i do along with a tune up on any used car i buy is a trans fluid and filter change. It is suppose to be regularly done as part of maintenance but most people over look it. Very nice car and good luck with it
Old 05-04-13, 09:14 AM
Addicted
Driver School Candidate

Well, I just pulled the pan. Not a whole lot inside it, but the filter has seen better days and there were a few small pieces of clutch bands in the fluid. That being said, I will only be out a few bucks to put a new filter in it and refill it to see if its any better. We'll see.

At least I have the trailer hooked up to the dually if it still does it.

Here are some pics of what it looked like:
Attached Thumbnails New to me LS with Transmission issues.-lexus5.jpg   New to me LS with Transmission issues.-lexus6.jpg   New to me LS with Transmission issues.-lexus7.jpg  
Old 05-04-13, 05:34 PM
Addicted
Driver School Candidate

Well, it seems that the flush and new filter has worked. I've put about 20mi on it since without an issue. Hopefully it holds up.

I also did a R134 retro fit and charge on the A/C today. Good to go there too.
Old 05-04-13, 06:40 PM
diamondave
Driver

when i did mine the fluid looked pretty good but the filter was pretty stopped up. i have seen many transmissions that were thought to be bad that a simple fluid and filter change fixed.
Old 05-05-13, 01:55 PM
tmart
Driver School Candidate

Default Nasty looking pan and filter

NO wonder you were having shifting issues. That is about the worst I've seen. I am currently servicing my 98 LS (second time for me) and my pan and filter are both really clean; just a little dark sludge in the pan. (not thick stuff, and the magnets have no fuzzies either. Going to use Full synthetic fluid for better heat resistance and hot & cold shifting. Last time I used Toyota T4, and it held up for 60k. So I am delighted with the cleanliness of the pan. (I dont hot rod, I baby my LS) AND---it seems to have paid off. I will post results of the synthetic --for improved cold am shifting. . Great job---you saved that tranny. They are some tough hombres.

98 silver ls 400, 122k, 27mpg hwy Mobil 1 extended performance 5w30, Bosch extended service filter. Mag 1 full synthetic multi vehicle tranny fluid.
Old 05-06-13, 01:08 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

How did you flush it?