LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Aftermarket steering wheel thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-13, 01:32 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket steering wheel thread!

I thought we could have a thread just about aftermarket wheels and what people are going with. I have this Grant wheel from an old project that I'm really thinking about throwing on the LS, but haven't made up my mind yet. What do you guys think of this wheel? Is it too sporty for the lex? I have a dark interior, so I picture it looking decent. If I did use it, I would put a on it.

What are you running?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
ydjd.bmp (576.1 KB, 8328 views)
Old 04-05-13, 06:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

that wheel has no place in an LS, unless it's a drift missile.

I like my factory wood/leather wheel, though I'll probably have it recovered in thick suede at some point.
Old 04-05-13, 06:38 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i dont see any problem with having that wheel in your lexus! its your car, mod it how you like

I imagine some of the aftermarket steering wheels people have is the RX wood ones or some Luxury looking ones though
Old 04-05-13, 07:01 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, I don't plan on drifting it (right now anyway) but I picture the car having a sporty look to it down the road when I get some decent wheels. I don't have any wood trim inside the car anymore. It's all black now.

My stock wheel is still in decent shape, so I wouldn't toss it just incase I wanted to go back. I also thought about changing the shift **** too. Eventaully it WILL be a 5spd.

In this picture, it looks like it has major "orange peel" but it doesn't look nearly that bad in person. I also have the trim on the doors painted too. I think it gives it a nice clean look.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
fgbhxsfgb.bmp (576.1 KB, 1433 views)
Old 04-05-13, 08:41 PM
nismo4life
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a 350mm Momo Monte Carlo, though I might sell it and get something with a bit of dish to avoid hitting the wiper, and turn signal stalks.

Old 04-05-13, 10:03 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

That looks pretty good. I think my grant has a slight dish to it. I might just throw it on and see how it comes out.
Old 04-08-13, 06:27 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usoff89
I thought we could have a thread just about aftermarket wheels and what people are going with. I have this Grant wheel from an old project that I'm really thinking about throwing on the LS, but haven't made up my mind yet. What do you guys think of this wheel? Is it too sporty for the lex? I have a dark interior, so I picture it looking decent. If I did use it, I would put a on it.

What are you running?
i honestly think that would look great on a dark interior LS. It's your car, if it pleases you to install that then I say go for it and report back with pictures. Not every lexus has to have a nice wood steering where, although I did put a 98+ on my 96 and i love it hehe. Been thinking a lot about an after market wood one too but the thought of not have the "center" piece ( air bag) covering the column and have everything exposed is not too appealing to me.
Old 04-08-13, 07:40 AM
makecopies
Rookie

I think the steering wheels in these cars are too big.
You should do it
Old 04-08-13, 10:44 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

All NEW matching wood everything... NRG 350mm wood grain steering wheel, woodgrain dash kit, woodgrain matching vinyl to cover OLD cracked wood, and red mohagonny VIP table made by yours truly!
Old 04-08-13, 11:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks good DJ. I still prefer factory. No concern about not having an airbag anymore?
Old 04-08-13, 11:18 AM
WhoRok305
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo Dj. Coquicustoms? Lol recognize the interior. I think the oem with wood look great.
Old 04-08-13, 11:40 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Looks good DJ. I still prefer factory. No concern about not having an airbag anymore?
Thank you! Not really, I am a VERY careful driver. I know I know, most of the time its not you that causes the accidents, but I prioritize people trying to steal my car (already attempted 3 times) than an accident, might not be the smartest move but yet again I work from home and already graduated college so I don't drive it much. Sadly but truly I have to worry more about my cars safety than my own
Old 04-08-13, 11:42 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WhoRok305
Yo Dj. Coquicustoms? Lol recognize the interior. I think the oem with wood look great.
Haha yes that would be me my friend!!! Yea the OEM interior was nice, but being a 92'. Damn near all the OEM wood accents are cracked/ faded. Even with almost 3 years trying to find mint ones, came up with nothing so I opted to just recover all the old wood and match it to the red mohagonny wood all around the interior of the car.
Old 04-08-13, 03:41 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Looks good DJ!

Anybody know the adapter I need to throw the wheel on? I think I read somewhere people were using the ones from the early supra's? I'm not going to do a quick release or anything, just a simple bolt on.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the cruise control? I might try and mount it somewhere on the column. I'd like to keep it if I can.
Old 04-08-13, 07:07 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

I used the NRG srk-120h short hub adapter I believe. I did an ALMOST complete step by step on this with part numbers and everything my friend search it on my started threads. Youll find it quite useful!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket steering wheel thread!