LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

TRAC Light Stays on

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-02, 11:39 PM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TRAC Light Stays on

I have a 1993 LS400 with 118K miles
The TRAC Activation light comes on some times and stays on.
I thought it was a Temp thing because it's been real cold in NJ lately, but it is still doing it in warm weather.

Any ideas?

Joe
Old 12-23-02, 12:45 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Check your brake fluid as beginners.
Sometimes the sensors go bad on cause the light to come on.
I suggest you dont take this lightly and get it checked by the dealer right away since the traction is tide in with the braking system as well. And given the fact that u're in nj with snow and all, I wouldnt take a chance on something this important.
Good luck and let us know what it turned out to be.

by the way which part of nj are u in ? central, south , or northeren ?
So far the best dealership I've found in the NJ area is Difeo Lexus in bridgewater. and second place is given to Lawrenceveille lexus next to princeton. That ofcourse is a personal experience from service.
I've tried a couple others but they didnt prove to be as courteous or good a pin pointing the problem with the car.
Old 12-31-02, 10:57 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default hmmm

is your check engine light turning on also?
you need to run dianostics to see whats going wrong.

Lexus has an odd way to of giving you codes, track, trac off, abs, check engine light turns on and sometimes noway related to the light thats on

Exsample: "trac" light and "check engine" light turn on and it results in being a dirty connection on the secondary TPS sensor, has nuthing to do with the "trac" but lights up anyways.
Exsample: "trac off" and "check engine" turns on and its an 02 sensor.

Xavier
Old 01-01-03, 01:12 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

check your fuse underneath the drivers side dash...ur fuse might have blown.
Old 01-01-03, 11:30 AM
chliansh
Rookie

Mine did the exact same thing this fall when the weather started to get cold. I am positive it was one of my O2 sensors. The funny thing is I never replaced any parts and the problem went away on its own. The only things I did were reset the ecu a couple of times and also when "traction control" was working I would make it kick in, like puch it when i was on a bit of gravel so the system could cycle.

Dumb luck I guess ????
Old 01-01-03, 02:59 PM
95ls400
Driver School Candidate

My 95 LS 400 also bring the ABS light on when the outside temp below 30 degree. When the engine warm up the light go out by itself and I am not worry about it. I did test the car on slippery road and the ABS system kick in and work perfect. If your car Trac light still turn on in warm weather I would recommend send it to dealer and check it out.
Old 01-12-03, 11:04 PM
Sanjman
Driver School Candidate

dont worry chliansh the problem will come back... it always does muahahahahaha.... j/k

but its true... i my TRAC light comes and goes....
Old 01-13-03, 03:29 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Anyone know how to turn off "Air Bag" Light.
Old 03-06-04, 02:56 PM
Kemo
Driver School Candidate

Default Rainy day / check engine and TRAC/off light are on

Whenever it rains, I get these two lights on and my car starts to hesitate and the engine cut off.

Please advise,
Old 03-12-04, 01:11 PM
Lexushead
Driver

Lightbulb Track light on

The same thing happened to me about a year ago. Lots of indicator lights comes on as the car comes to idle. Engine hesitate like a hickup inconsistently. It comes on more when the engine is hot, at operation temp. The tract light came on and off. Sometimes the engine light came on then off.
1. I had the dealer diagnose with their computer and all they could tell me was one of the cylinders was running lean. I asked which one and they told me they couldn't because......a bunch of bulls..t....they wanted me to bring the car back to diag. but not for free. I told them to go pound salt. They recommended me to replace all injectors. It would cost more than the car worth because of the labor.
2. I replaced all 8 injectors(used) myself. Problem still there.
3. I replaced the spark plugs. Problem still there.
4. I replaced caps and rotors. Problem still there.
5. I replaced Bosch spark plug wires, the new one I bought from the web(thepartbins) was defective(metal chips imbeded in insulation). I cut insulation and removed the metal chips and tape it so I could drive the car that weekend. I called partbins the next week requesting replacement but denied because I cut the insulation. Lost $100.00.
The problem was one of the old spark plug wires leaking. Sparks intermittenly jump from the wire to the metal next to the timing belt under the timing cover. That solved the hesitation problem.

Then another problem. Going down the hill, I thought.
6. The car keep dying after a while of driving in town. I replaced the battery(die hard) because Sears told me that the battery was bad($100.00). The car still died.
7. I replaced the alternator from the JUNKYARD, it was junk. Not much brush left. The center rod was worn too. Lost another $75.00. Got another one from a different junk yard (because I was a slow learner) for $50.00. Brush was almost gone too. Went to the Toyota dealer and order a brush/regulator for $25.00. Down $200.00 on a used alternator. That solved the stalling problem because the alternator was intermittenly not charging the battery.
8. My fanclutch was bad. The symptom was Engine fan was on all the time and the speed up with engine speed. Replaced that with the junkyard one$50.00.
9. Replace a CD player $200.00. Of course, junkyard.
Now my radio keeps fading after the 2 minutes of turning it on. Must be a bad capacitor...don't know which one. I hate to spend another $200.00 to get it repaired.
I can't open my trunk with that remote pull lever. The key doesn't work either. I might have to drill a hole and use a rope to hold it down. I appreciate it if any of you have a solution for me.
92 LS 400 w/ 234,000 miles

Last edited by Lexushead; 03-12-04 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-27-04, 07:04 PM
Anatoliy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace the TPS

Most likely it is TPS.
1. Check the code
2. Replace the TPS - http://www.lexls.com/tps.html

I had a same problem. I checked the code and it was a bad TPS.
Replaced the TPS and the problem was fixed.
Old 06-28-04, 08:32 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lextreme
Anyone know how to turn off "Air Bag" Light.
Yup. I'm doing a tutorial on that this week, maybe I'll have it up this afternoon .

The first thing I would do if the TRAC light comes on and stays on is to reset the ECU. Just disconnect the battery for about a minute. Then start it and see if the problem has gone away. If that doesn't work then I would start reading the repair manual. If you don't have one I recommend downloading one from TIS: http://www.lexls.com/repairmanual.html, this would be a good excuse to do so.
Old 06-28-04, 12:48 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

How to turn off the air bag light: http://www.lexls.com/airbaglight.html