LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone tried dropping the steering rack to do the engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 03:25 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Anyone tried dropping the steering rack to do the engine mounts?

Just looking at the bazillion writeups I see for doing the LS400 engine mounts, EVERY single one of them i've seen says the passenger side is relatively easy, but that the drivers side one is somewhat complicated because the power steering rack is in the way.

Well I am doing some major work on my car this coming sunday, and two of the things i am doing are all three of the mounts, and also the rack bushings. I figured it would make the job much easier if it's out of the way and just wanted to see if anyone else has gone this route.

Just did the new 95' ECU and cruise computer, and going to be changing the mounts, drivebelt, P/S pump, the brake fluid, transmission fluid, differential oil, and finnaly getting the alignment done and flushing the cooling system. She will be taking me to California on the 17th, and I almost am looking forwards to the drive more than anything else!
Old 03-01-13, 07:17 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember what exactly, but I know I did something silly to make it not so difficult. I think I supported the engine with a cherry picker, lowered the subframe and maybe even raised the engine a bit.
Old 03-01-13, 08:35 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive unbolted both rack and subframe. Didnt take them all the way out though.
Old 03-01-13, 10:14 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Well, i decided to crawl undernieth the car while looking at the culprit of some suspension noise, and i can see what the issue is.

The passenger side is easily accessable, and the drivers side has the rack valve and pinion housing totally blocking it. If you totally drop the rack, it looks to be a peice of cake.... we will see though, i'll take photos!
Old 03-08-13, 08:41 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Well, got it all done now. Even with the rack totally out of the way, you will STILL need to drop the crossmember... however that didn't turn out to be so bad either.... good thing i went that route too, as my rack bushings were pretty deteriorated.

As for the car, OH MY LORD, new engine mounts are a beautiful thing!!
Old 03-08-13, 10:28 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

where are the picstures ? good job. what lead you to believe the mounts were bad?
Old 03-08-13, 10:28 AM
Gumart1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you take any pics? I need to do this sometime in the next week along with my tranny mount which I know will be much easier. Can't wait to feel the difference.
Old 03-08-13, 03:54 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

I ended up not taking as many as I would have liked to, I guess i just got caught up in the job. I will have to put them up here in a bit.

I just assumed that from feeling various engine vibrations and from the driveline rumble and reading other peoples experiences on here that they were in need, and i was kind of dismayed when I pulled them and they didn't fall apart like a lot of the ones I see here did. However, the new ones were taller compared to the old ones, and the car almost has this surreal feeling now, like the engine is not even connected to it. It fixed the rumble sensation too.

I was going to try and avoid dropping the crossmember because it sounded like a total pain in the butt, but it honestly wasn't too bad. I didnt have to touch the front suspension bolts at all when I lowered it, and although i was supporting it with a second jack at first, i found that it would only come down a few inches before it wouldn't lower anymore on its own. the biggest thing I would watch for is the wiring harness that is bolted to it, and also the the P/S lines running to the rack....

However, since i totally removed the rack, i didn't have that issue, and it made it MUCH easier to get to the driver side motor mount. The Rack is pretty simple to remove, but the scary part is hooking the lines back up... as they are banjo fittings and there really isn't room to get a torque wrench in there.. plus you have to do the lower fitting pretty much by feel, and i was afraid that i wouldnt of been able to properly clean the fitting to ensure they wouldn't leak. However, i've got no leaks whatsoever, and new rack bushings to boot too

Just be sure to get the car realigned afterwards, as you will be screwing with the suspension angles a bit
Old 03-09-13, 10:58 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

sure hope you did the inner and outer tie rod ends, that makes such a huge difference in how the LS400 drives!
Old 03-09-13, 02:53 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Can't say I did yet, but they are on the list of things to do. I did just replace the upper left control arm because the ball joint had QUITE a bit of play in it, and it clunked and rattled all over the place and the steering was very squirley. When I took it in for an alignment, they said that it appears as if one of the lower control arms in the front left suspension is slightly bent, because everything went in specs except for the caster angle, which is still just a hair off.

I think the previous owner nailed a pot hole or something, which may explain the ball joint issue, and there is still a slight tapping sound coming out of the front end over harsh bumps. It steers wonderfully now though that i replaced the P/S pump and got the slack tightened up.
Old 03-09-13, 04:49 PM
Gumart1
Driver

What's the best aftermarket source for inner/outer tie rod ends and rack bushings?
YoshiMan, did you take any pics at all that you can post? Thanks
Old 03-10-13, 08:28 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

The rack bushings I got were OEM. They were only like $15 or so a peice. There are aftermarket polyurethane ones available, but as with any poly parts people who use them say they squeak when not lubed regularly. They are not a bad idea to do, especially if your car leaks oil. i had an old cressida where the bushings had TOTALLY failed, and the rack would slide to the left and right several inches when you turned the wheel. made for really REALLY sloppy (and dangerous) steering!

And yes, i have some pictures i can post up, but i got pretty involved and ended up not taking any with things apart. When i get my borrowed Memory card back, i will post them up
Old 03-10-13, 02:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

my poly rack bushings don't squeak at all
Old 03-10-13, 04:31 PM
Gumart1
Driver

PureDrifter, where did you get your poly bushings? I've used them in the past, with a little Sil-Glyde, they worked well.
Old 03-10-13, 06:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumart1
PureDrifter, where did you get your poly bushings? I've used them in the past, with a little Sil-Glyde, they worked well.
I'm using Ricochet Polyurethane Technologies rack bushings, the blue ones that are ~90durometer.

They're available on ebay, though I bought mine from another member here who didn't need them anymore.

They came with a little pot of silicone/graphite lube and I used it VERY liberally. (maybe a little too liberally, it was dripping off the bushings for a couple weeks after melting in a bit )

Quick Reply: Anyone tried dropping the steering rack to do the engine mounts?