LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

air suspension setup UCF20

Old 02-15-13, 08:39 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job Timmy! I'm planning to run a similar setup although I'm leaning towards an accuair e-level setup for simplicity and the set&forget aspect.

Did you look into running the manifolds and pumps in the little cubbies beside the spare wheel well? I was planning on doing this as I was hoping to eventually run a sub and system in the tire well.

Oh if you used stereo box carpeting for covering the floor, be ready for that stuff to pill up hard!
I used it on a previous build and had to recover it twice in <2 years do to simply having stuff in the trunk. I ended up installing some cheap hardwood flooring which turned out to be a much better choice for ware and looks. It's sort of a played trend now but something to consider if you start to find the carpeting pilling on you.

Ill probably want to pick your brain later on your install if that's cool.

Great job on the write up!
Finished product should be stunning once the wheels are on!
Old 02-16-13, 11:02 AM
SjLS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
Nice job Timmy! I'm planning to run a similar setup although I'm leaning towards an accuair e-level setup for simplicity and the set&forget aspect.

Did you look into running the manifolds and pumps in the little cubbies beside the spare wheel well? I was planning on doing this as I was hoping to eventually run a sub and system in the tire well.

Oh if you used stereo box carpeting for covering the floor, be ready for that stuff to pill up hard!
I used it on a previous build and had to recover it twice in <2 years do to simply having stuff in the trunk. I ended up installing some cheap hardwood flooring which turned out to be a much better choice for ware and looks. It's sort of a played trend now but something to consider if you start to find the carpeting pilling on you.

Ill probably want to pick your brain later on your install if that's cool.

Great job on the write up!
Finished product should be stunning once the wheels are on!

I was going to do that for my setup! Might do the hardwood floor now then,lol. Haven't really thought of a better way.

And also Timmy, the bilsteins don't have dampening, as what puredrifter just said
Old 02-18-13, 11:08 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
The Bilsteins for the 2LS do not have any adjustability in damping. (Dampening is what happens when you let loose the hose on something )
i always get that switched. thanks for the clarification on the terminology. it's like header vs headers... .
Old 02-19-13, 10:48 AM
SjLS
Rookie

Post more photos of your car! Also, when are you deciding to pick up a set of wheels?
Old 02-21-13, 01:44 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I would hate to take those valves apart if one of them was leaking, but other than that it is a great way of assembling and efficient use of space.

The car looks great Tim! Hopefully I can see it in person sometime soon.
Old 02-21-13, 03:22 PM
Jspec603
Rookie

Gotta say, nice job on your project man!!
Old 06-03-13, 02:02 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really considering doing bags first instead of a 5spd swap on my car. Driving low..... It looks bada** but sucks when you come across that one huge speed bump!

I would just use my megans, and go with the UAS bags and brackets. I'd love to see a picture of your car with it aired all the way up. I just want an idea of what kind of travel you get with the UAS bags? A video would be better too, if possible? I'd love to see how fast they are with you running 1/4 inch line. I don't want mine to bounce me out of the seat when I air it up. lol. Many thanks, if you don't mind posting a couple pis with it aired up.
Old 06-07-13, 07:56 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usoff89
driving low..... It looks bada** but sucks when you come across that one huge speed bump!
or many huge *** speed bumps and road obstacles like here in south florida

i would just use my megans, and go with the uas bags and brackets. I'd love to see a picture of your car with it aired all the way up. I just want an idea of what kind of travel you get with the uas bags? A video would be better too, if possible? I'd love to see how fast they are with you running 1/4 inch line. I don't want mine to bounce me out of the seat when i air it up. Lol. Many thanks, if you don't mind posting a couple pis with it aired up.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

super +1
Old 06-10-13, 11:05 AM
momosega
Driver School Candidate

Waouh! A very good install, I like your work!

I dream an install like this on my LS400, here in France we have too much big speed bumpers...
Old 06-10-13, 11:45 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work Tim!!!! Extremely clean love it! Awesome job
Old 06-10-13, 04:52 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many square feet is the plywood floor? I'm asking since I plan on doing a false floor as well, but with hardwood as well.
Old 06-11-13, 11:41 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

I'm really considering doing bags first instead of a 5spd swap on my car. Driving low..... It looks bada** but sucks when you come across that one huge speed bump!

I would just use my megans, and go with the UAS bags and brackets. I'd love to see a picture of your car with it aired all the way up. I just want an idea of what kind of travel you get with the UAS bags? A video would be better too, if possible? I'd love to see how fast they are with you running 1/4 inch line. I don't want mine to bounce me out of the seat when I air it up. lol. Many thanks, if you don't mind posting a couple pis with it aired up.
it really depends on the length of the megan shocks and how long they can go. the bags can go from 4" short to 9.25" long, that is a 5" travel range (very big). you will run out of shock travel way before the bags max out. so at that point you are simply stiffening the bags as you add more air. this means you can run pretty low and stiff even on bags. having coilovers gives you micro-adjustability in setting your ride height.

as for the speed of the air up, running 1/4" lines makes it slower which i like but to me it's still fast (but not car-hopping fast). this is due to my tank pressure being at 200psi. typically 150psi is enough to work, and will definitely be slower. i may change the pressure switch to 150psi to save my compressors from wear and tear.

here she is aired up all the way. i only have about 3" of travel. i hit driveways straight on with no scrapping, but i roll lower than this normally.

and down for comparison. keep in mind, the rear can go MUCH lower (tuck rim) but i cannot due to my tires resting on the rear fenders. i need a pull.

Originally Posted by momosega
Waouh! A very good install, I like your work!

I dream an install like this on my LS400, here in France we have too much big speed bumpers...
do it, it's very simple. i always tell people if you can install suspension and a basic subwoofer/amp, you can do air ride!

Originally Posted by djsurfer
Great work Tim!!!! Extremely clean love it! Awesome job
thanks bud!

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
How many square feet is the plywood floor? I'm asking since I plan on doing a false floor as well, but with hardwood as well.
i'm not too sure on the actual dimensions. what i did was measure the trunk mat to get the measurements, and used it to make a template.

Last edited by timmy0tool; 07-26-17 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 02:31 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe

A = L x W

Having done hard wood before, always buy more than you need as its nice to match up grains if you can!
Old 08-19-13, 08:47 AM
implayaz9
Rookie

how easy is to run the lines inside the car under the door sills compared to outer part of the car? I heard if I wanted to run the lines inside it does take some time
Old 08-19-13, 09:51 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's gonna take a while to run it inside. But if you have time and a place then it would be better

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: air suspension setup UCF20