LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

asking $900 can lowball for close to half?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 03:42 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default searching for the temp.

Found a decent LS that won't seem to give me any headaches. Details on second page.

93 ls400
Body's in good shape, motor runs well, front seats worn, only thing is there's a ticking sound I can hear in the cabin when I drive it and when it's idling. First thing I noticed when I test drive it. No cel, new spark plugs, new waterpump, timing belt, etc.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 02-09-13 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-06-13, 04:00 PM
ls400geek
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't get a car, at any price, that is having problems after having custom engine mods. But that's just me.
Old 02-06-13, 04:07 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

ls400 geek, yeah i am talking ot the guy right now he said it was running 12psi and the car hasnt been throughly checked out, for the price of repairs or a motor swap i can probably get one of the others i listed on the bottom of the page. he dropped his price to 750.
Old 02-06-13, 06:03 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They are trying to get rid of a headache. That headache can soon be yours, only 750

In the end this one will be cheaper and better

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3575166967.html

Last edited by sam12345; 02-06-13 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 06:54 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i would only get that car if the interior and body is mint. the motor is on it's way out and would require a rebuild or change. a boosted motor not intended for boost is asking for short and long term problems.

how long do you plan on keeping the car? it seems your priority is just to put mods and wheels on it. most of us here want a reliable car, which the LS generally is, if maintained properly even before any modding.
Old 02-06-13, 09:01 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sam12345
They are trying to get rid of a headache. That headache can soon be yours, only 750

In the end this one will be cheaper and better

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3575166967.html
I plan on picking up a ucf20, since all the others were garbage and the one good one that i really want might get sold tomorrow, I might as well just save up my paychecks to get the remaing 3k for that and maybe lowball since that cars been up there for such a long time.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i would only get that car if the interior and body is mint. the motor is on it's way out and would require a rebuild or change. a boosted motor not intended for boost is asking for short and long term problems.

how long do you plan on keeping the car? it seems your priority is just to put mods and wheels on it. most of us here want a reliable car, which the LS generally is, if maintained properly even before any modding.
the body and interior looked mint except for the guages and such, and I want a reliable car as well, thats why I am checking what fits my budget and accounting how much it would be to catch up on maintenance and such. I was going to research on where i can find a used 1uzfe with transmission and price out how much it would cost to just swap that into the car, the car has also had a rebuilt title due to theft from the previous owner before that which is not very assuring. I plan to keep this car for a while reason why im looking for a 4 door sedan and not a coupe. When it comes to repairs Ill most likely end up doing most of it myself, and if its something out of my skill level, ill just take it to my neighbor who is a toyota technician with an LS400 of his own as well.

I do not want to rush into buying the LS400 but I need a car to drive asap as my younger sister drives the xb now.
Old 02-06-13, 09:18 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

dont rush into buying a car.

i waited / searched 9 months for the perfect GS and dont regret it at all! glad i waited, i was about to bite the bullet and buy an tan interior glad i didnt i would have regreted the decision
Old 02-06-13, 10:27 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

thats the thing, i need to pick up a car as soon as possible since my sister started driving, I really want to wait for a UCF20 but im still short 3k
Old 02-06-13, 10:35 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingshawty
I plan on picking up a ucf20, since all the others were garbage and the one good one that i really want might get sold tomorrow, I might as well just save up my paychecks to get the remaing 3k for that and maybe lowball since that cars been up there for such a long time.

the body and interior looked mint except for the guages and such, and I want a reliable car as well, thats why I am checking what fits my budget and accounting how much it would be to catch up on maintenance and such. I was going to research on where i can find a used 1uzfe with transmission and price out how much it would cost to just swap that into the car, the car has also had a rebuilt title due to theft from the previous owner before that which is not very assuring. I plan to keep this car for a while reason why im looking for a 4 door sedan and not a coupe. When it comes to repairs Ill most likely end up doing most of it myself, and if its something out of my skill level, ill just take it to my neighbor who is a toyota technician with an LS400 of his own as well.

I do not want to rush into buying the LS400 but I need a car to drive asap as my younger sister drives the xb now.
Then avoid that one also, and if you have little money avoid an ls400 altogether. Get a Honda accord or Toyota corolla

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...oyota-starlet/

Last edited by sam12345; 02-06-13 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 10:38 PM
davids2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bent valves....
Old 02-07-13, 01:58 AM
ExpoGeorgi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingshawty

What some of the other members said, don't rush into buying one of these. A good deal isn't $1,000 with "minor" work needed as parts for these car's are expensive (if you haven't noticed). I bought my 94 UCF10 Anniversary Edition for $2,800 and all it needed is a new passenger side front strut and the throttle body needed to be cleaned. Clean car, no mechanical or electrical issues and owned by the same guy for 15 years. Buy a cheap car to drive for the time being and get the LS later or finance it with your bank
Old 02-07-13, 02:17 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

still searching! but I understand where all of you are coming from.
Old 02-07-13, 05:55 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone else is saying, save up and keep searching! There out there you just gotta look for it, I spent probably more than a year on/off searching until l I finally found mine and hopped on it right away. It was well worth the wait
Old 02-07-13, 09:01 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

The first car, was for sale on CL. Owner is a member and can surely tell you in detail what's up with it.

Search the classifieds and search under turbo ls or something, same pics too!
Old 02-08-13, 11:50 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

ever consider going outside of the state, say CA or AZ? you may have better luck with selection. i drove 130 miles away to find my LS, took 3 months of searching through cars like you, and am totally happy with the purchase. like everyone stated, be patient but i understand your situation is tough.

Quick Reply: asking $900 can lowball for close to half?