LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

coolant light came on!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 02:36 AM
pongydoo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant light came on!!!!

How often do you guys need to refill the coolant? I change my coolant tank almost 2 years ago and this morning when the car is cold after I started the coolant light came on and then go off after about 30 seconds so I suspect that the coolant is low and when it starts to get warmer it expand....

When the car is fully warm the level is on the upper line (label cold). Is it too low? How do I inspect if I have a leak in the system? Is it normal for the coolant to drop this much over the almost 2 years period (when the car is cold, the level is just over the bottom line (not the 1st 2 line on the top of the tank) but really botom one.

Any input would be appreciate...thanks
Old 12-09-02, 02:55 AM
AllstarMcC
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: coolant light came on!!!!

Originally posted by pongydoo
How do I inspect if I have a leak in the system?
I can at least help with this one. You need to buy/rent a coolant system pressure tester. Attach it to the radiator neck and pressurize the system and check for a pressure drop (all done with the tester). The good thing about those is it will a not only show you if there is a leak, but it also forces coolant out of the leaking spot, so it's [more] easily identifyable. HTH.
Old 12-23-02, 03:30 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

my coolant light would come on and stay on, I just replaced the coolant level sensor on top of the reservoir to the tune of 95 bucks for the sensor. If your coolant level is correct but the light comes on it is probably the sensor, presuming there are no leaks and depending on the mileage of the car. Mine has 175k and no leaks. Sensor fixed the problem, light doesn't come on anymore.
Old 12-23-02, 03:54 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by jpcdmd
my coolant light would come on and stay on, I just replaced the coolant level sensor on top of the reservoir to the tune of 95 bucks for the sensor. If your coolant level is correct but the light comes on it is probably the sensor, presuming there are no leaks and depending on the mileage of the car. Mine has 175k and no leaks. Sensor fixed the problem, light doesn't come on anymore.
Coolant level sensor on top of reservoir! Are you talking about the radiator cap?
Old 12-23-02, 08:14 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, coolant level sensor on top of the RESERVOIR, not the radiator. Did not replace cap on reservoir, didn't touch radiator. The sensor has a rubber top on it, pull it off and use a monkey wrench to unscrew the sensor and pull it out. Drop the new one in and your done (don't forget to plug it in to the harness), No more idiot light!
Old 05-16-23, 11:56 AM
lakesdhomi
1st Gear

Default Coolant light came on stayed on……..

Originally Posted by jpcdmd

High temp light came on coolant levels were on point, but the sensor senses coolant temp. so the engine was operating at a higher temp. due to lack of motor oil so jus note that it may not be jus a faulty or erratic sensor could be something else causing the engine to be over temp. Have a safe one!!🤙🏽