LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Can't open trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 10:38 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't open trunk

So how does this work, or is it broken?

I can't open the trunk with my remote. If i look in the car i see the trunk button and a key lock. I can open the trunk from the inside, but only when the engine is off.

If i click the key lock i can't open that trunk from the inside, but i can't open it from the outside either....

Am i missing something?

Lexus LS 400 1996
Old 12-26-12, 07:54 PM
SilverJade
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my 99 I have to be really close to the car AND hold my remote button down for a couple seconds then it unlocks. Maybe my remote battery is weak. I can lock and unlock the doors from a fair distance away though
Old 12-26-12, 09:30 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

should be able to open it when the engine is running. strange.
Old 12-27-12, 02:19 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilverJade
on my 99 I have to be really close to the car AND hold my remote button down for a couple seconds then it unlocks. Maybe my remote battery is weak. I can lock and unlock the doors from a fair distance away though
Hmm i'll try that, i can unlock the doors from a distance away either.
Old 12-27-12, 09:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

With the engine running, remote operations are disabled although I haven't tried panic.
Change the battery. I can unlock the trunk about 50+ yards away, locking is even further away, maybe 75 yards if in clear sight. Parking structures it drops with cars blocking and any concrete, etc.
Old 12-27-12, 06:53 PM
SilverJade
Driver School Candidate

After further testing with a new remote battery, I have results very similar to RA40. I seem to still have to hold the remote button down just a little longer to get the trunk lid to unlock as compared to the doors. My remote also seems disabled with the engine running.
Old 12-27-12, 07:15 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverJade
After further testing with a new remote battery, I have results very similar to RA40. I seem to still have to hold the remote button down just a little longer to get the trunk lid to unlock as compared to the doors. My remote also seems disabled with the engine running.
Its always been normal to have to long press the trunk unlock for it to open. Are you thinking that the trunk pops with a quick tap of the remote like the doors do?
Old 12-27-12, 07:23 PM
SilverJade
Driver School Candidate

Sha4000,
I have only had this vehicle for about a month and a half so I am still learning what is normal and what I might need to replace or work on. Thanks for confirming that it seems remote trunk unlock does indeed require the remote unlock button to be held down slightly longer than unlocking the doors.
Old 12-27-12, 09:59 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yoshiii
I can open the trunk from the inside, but only when the engine is off.

are you talking about using the remote or the switch on the car?
Old 12-27-12, 10:20 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Trunk release from the remote is about 2 seconds of constant pressure. Unlocking the doors is much quicker and to unlock all doors is a quick double tap. That said, I still fumble unlocking all doors. Wife says, "Hey it's not unlocked!"
Old 12-27-12, 10:26 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

i tend to press unlock 3 times just incase i didnt hit it hard enough the 2nd time..
Old 12-31-12, 01:09 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

Aaaah i didn't know that! When i hold the button and stand next to the trunk it does open....

So now there remains only one thing. When i drop people of and they want to take out their luggage, i have to turn the engine of to use the button on the dash. How do i open the trunk when the engine is running?
Old 12-31-12, 11:54 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Aaaah i didn't know that! When i hold the button and stand next to the trunk it does open....

So now there remains only one thing. When i drop people of and they want to take out their luggage, i have to turn the engine of to use the button on the dash. How do i open the trunk when the engine is running?
The trunk latch is located on the left side of the steering wheel near where your knee would rest. It also has a lock there that you can use your car key to turn. This is so if someone breaks into your car they can't just pop your trunk and take your things in there. If you lock it with the key you will have to unlock it with the key again before you are able to use it to pop the trunk.
Old 01-07-13, 02:35 AM
Yoshiii
Driver School Candidate

I have unlocked it and i can use it when the engine is off. Doesn't work though when the engine is on...
Old 01-07-13, 10:18 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

I have unlocked it and i can use it when the engine is off. Doesn't work though when the engine is on...
thats strange. Mine doesnt open when its not in park. but it opens when its started in park.

Quick Reply: Can't open trunk