LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Front LBJ nut hitting rotor?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 08:57 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front LBJ nut hitting rotor?!

My buddy and I just threw in some Megan coilovers today. We were going to replace the lower ball joints today but ran out of fuel and just wanted to get the coilovers in already. We're going to replace those tomorrow.

However, I ran into this issue, i'm guessing either it's worn out LBJ or wheel bearing?

Initially I thought it was the heatshield making contact with the rotor, so I beat it out of place. However it appears that the lower ball joint nut has worn through the heatshield and totally killed my front rotor...

Anyone else want to take a guess?

It's worse when I turn left, even the slightest. This is on the Front Driver's side. The slower you go, the worse the rubbing is...

Front LBJ nut hitting rotor?!-bj3dil.jpg

Last edited by Shiryo; 12-19-12 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-19-12, 09:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks like the LBJ itself has failed, you're lucky that's all the damage it did. (see that wrinkle in the boot? yeahhh that's not supposed to be there...)

replace it (the pair), align it, and you're set.
Old 12-19-12, 10:09 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Thanks PD!

Exactly what I was hoping for. I wish we had taken the time to replace them... But i'm sore all over as it is. Tomorrow!
Old 12-19-12, 10:56 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Hey PD, you wouldn't happen to know if this would cause vibration during braking due to wheel shudder would it?

I have a slight shudder while stopping, those brake rotors only have 1k miles on them and didnt fix my issue, thought I had warped rotors.

The Strut bushing you told me to replace made the shudder almost transparent, but it's still there.
Old 12-19-12, 11:15 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Umm a failed LBJ isn't likely to cause the nut to hit the rotor unless the LBJ is completely detached from the knuckle.

I'd spend some serious time checking the hub bearings and even the LCA for bends. While your LBJ is probably toast, you probably have a few other issues going on. Compare to the other side while the wheels off and check the angles.

If you haven't done so, check all the ball joints and tie rods with the method I posted in my coilovers how-to.
Old 12-19-12, 11:19 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

You make me sad... I'll go check... On a side note, I did replace the wheel bearing. Could be a bent LCA... PO said it needed a new one...

Just checked your DIY, didn't see anything about a check method. But i'll see what's up tomorrow after my buddy and I are fresh for another of suspension work.

Last edited by Shiryo; 12-19-12 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-19-12, 11:58 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

If you are looking at a bent lower LCA on one side, check everything for bends: strut rod, UCA, inner tie rods, outer tie rods, even the knuckle for damage of any kind. If you have a jacked LCA, you could have other issues as well as it takes a lot to bend a LCA on most cars and is never the only thing wrong.

Be sure to have a tape measure, ruler and a large set of 16" channel lock pliers when you are checking things out for bends. Another give away that something is wrong is if one of your coilovers is set dramatically different from one side to the other to get the same ride heights.

Oh and don't forget to check your capacitors
Old 12-20-12, 12:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the ball or socket portion of the LBJ is what's damaged here, i'm betting partial separation. that's why he's so lucky it's only partially detached.
Old 12-20-12, 12:39 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I thought I fixed the link but here you go:
Old 12-20-12, 09:31 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shmee
If you are looking at a bent lower LCA on one side, check everything for bends: strut rod, UCA, inner tie rods, outer tie rods, even the knuckle for damage of any kind. If you have a jacked LCA, you could have other issues as well as it takes a lot to bend a LCA on most cars and is never the only thing wrong.

Be sure to have a tape measure, ruler and a large set of 16" channel lock pliers when you are checking things out for bends. Another give away that something is wrong is if one of your coilovers is set dramatically different from one side to the other to get the same ride heights.

Oh and don't forget to check your capacitors
Yeah, well we've replaced the UCAs yesterday, i've already replaced all my inner and outer tie rods. strut rod bushings have been replaced, wheel bearings have been replaced. I have a set of LCAs that I could throw on too, but I need to make sure the bushings on them are good.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the ball or socket portion of the LBJ is what's damaged here, i'm betting partial separation. that's why he's so lucky it's only partially detached.
What exactly could have happened?

Originally Posted by Shmee
I thought I fixed the link but here you go:
http://youtu.be/_VfMZ0g31J8
Ah, this is a neat way to inspect these, a lot easier then the whole tire shake and push.
Old 12-20-12, 09:56 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad you got in there and fixed it. For the 2-GS guys the results of a LBJ or UBJ failure isn't pretty. I need to check mine.
Old 12-20-12, 09:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

take the lbj off and cut the boot off (after installing the new LBJ obviously lol).
Old 12-20-12, 09:59 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Not yet, just woke up an hour ago, waiting for the word from my buddy to head over and start wrenching... This would be ten times easier if my impact gun wasn't being rebuilt by Snap On... Damn thing shouldn't be defective in the first place... Should have went with a Mikita or Ingersoll in the first place. Sucks doing work with breaker bars.
Old 12-20-12, 11:29 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

IR air tools all the way, had my QTi's for 7+ years now without service and only random oilings.

It's good that you replaced that other stuff already but like I said, if you do have a bent LCA, check the strut rod and the knuckle for damage. new bushings in the strut rods are not going to negate a bent or twisted strut rod.

As far as why a LBJ separates, it's usually one of three things; extremely worn out, defective part or an extreme impact/force beyond normal operational limits.

If it's just worn out to the point of separation, you would have had a host of other issues such as clunks bangs and vibrations, excessive tire wear on the affected side, the car would likely wonder all over the road and next to impossible to align do to constantly changing specs to name a few.

A defective part usually occurs within the first 5-10k and is usually a matter of a poor fit of the ball into the cup of the joint or a defect of either or both.

If it is a matter of an extreme force or impact, that could be a lateral collision/accident and usually from wheel hitting a curb, a extreme strike with a pothole or pavement slab heave. However, it could also be from pre-existing damage to another component like a bent LCA from an incident like above where the LBJ may have already been replaced but assessment of the damages was not correctly done or corners were cut. If a bent LCA is not replaced, it can force the LBJ to work at or past the limit of operation. if the joint reaches it's limit of motion and is forced past it, the joint is ripped from it's receiver much like a hyper-extended knee or hip would be. This can result in the joint resting on top of the cup and not fully detached like what it looks like you may have, or a complete separation and something like this:

which could result in this:

or this:

or this:
Old 12-20-12, 11:57 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Jesus, I thought those would be due to failed wheel bearings or something, not ball joints.

Quick Reply: Front LBJ nut hitting rotor?!