LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 Ls400 starting /stallling issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-12, 02:16 PM
adrenelin5
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Ls400 starting /stallling issues

I've been battling this thing for about 5 months now. Just when I think I got it figured out I realize I don't.

The symptoms are:

Car's starter either turns very quickly, very labored or sometimes just one click and does not turn over. Sometimes the one click issue just happens out of the blue but sometimes it happens just after the car has stalled while out driving.

Since I 've owned the car it has always either been intermittent in it's labored/fast start but only later developed the one click issue. I thought it was the battery but I no longer think this to be the case.

6 months back before the one click thing began I was out for a drive and the car stalled. I tried to start the car repeatly. I turned over fine but no dice. I towed it home and replaced the fuel pump. I then tried starting it but it wouldn't. My father in law checked to see if there was power at the fuse responsible for the EFI/starter and found the power to be intermittent. He pushed and pulled at the fuse and relays and everything in there and the car started. We figured it was a loose connection of some sort in the fuse box. The problem went away for a short period.

I then began to have the same issues and put some dialetric grease on the efi relay and that seemed to have a positive effect for a while but starting stalling issues returned. I replaced the EFI relay and that seemed to help. Never had a stalling issue for months.

A while later just as the weather began to get colder the car began to have the no start issue (wouldn't turn over at all intermittently). It got to the point that It was a 50/50 while the car was cold. I bought the solenoid rebuild kit and installed it. Before I put everything back together I tested the starter and it worked flawlessly considering how much abuse the battery had taken. That was 3 weeks ago.

In the weeks following the rebuild I had intermittent labored/ slow starts and then eventually a no start so I tried the dialetric grease thing and it instantly corrected the problem. Then today while driving down the street It died and would only click once while attempting to start. I wiggled the relays and the box and everything in there like before and it didn't help this time. I went to the trunk to check the harness in the hinge and found some really sloppy/ almost disconnected harness repair. There was one mostly severed wire and one that was falling out of it's crimped connector. I hooked them up properly tried to start the car and I got a labored start out of it. I went back to the wires in the trunk and moved them around and got a good start. I then disconnected them and still got a good start. I did some test starts and the intermittent thing is still there. Any idea's besides the starter needs to be replaced.

I was also wondering if it's normal to not be able to turn over this engine by hand.

Last edited by adrenelin5; 12-18-12 at 04:05 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-18-12, 02:55 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Is the '94 LS400 OBD I or II ?? Is the car throwing any codes?
Have youe ever checked the ignition switch, wear and tear there could give you the intermittent stalling, poor starting, no start conditions you're seeing -- What you need is a good diagnostic, to isolate what most to least likely is cause of problem
Starter itself is not all that expensive, $140-$200, can't imagine why you didn't tackle that when you did the solenoid. But, then again, does it need a starter?
Old 12-18-12, 03:14 PM
adrenelin5
Rookie

Default You got me!!?

Originally Posted by Riick
Is the '94 LS400 OBD I or II ?? Is the car throwing any codes?
Have youe ever checked the ignition switch, wear and tear there could give you the intermittent stalling, poor starting, no start conditions you're seeing -- What you need is a good diagnostic, to isolate what most to least likely is cause of problem
Starter itself is not all that expensive, $140-$200, can't imagine why you didn't tackle that when you did the solenoid. But, then again, does it need a starter?

It's an OB1. No codes. The starter apparently is bullet proof. Considering the no start problem also at times rears it's ugly head directly after it stalling leads me to believe it's not the starter. How do I check the ig switch?

Last edited by adrenelin5; 12-18-12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-18-12, 04:26 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

make sure all of the trunk hinge wires are completely repaired properly, with the correct wires together, soldered, and then individually taped with electrical tape

this is a known problem area with the first gen LS400 and you must get it repaired like new before you go any further

the next most likely thing to check is the positive battery connection, take it apart and replace that end piece with one from the dealership - I can get you the part number, but they will recognize it at the dealership

if that doesn't work, then I would strongly suggest you replace the ECU capacitors - using the exact ones mentioned in the thread.

sure, it could be the starter, but that is expensive and a royal pain of a job to do or very expensive if you have it done, so let's rule out all the more likely stuff that costs like $20 or less first, before spending $1000!

I know some of my recommendations are a bit unconventional, but you would be surprised how many LS400's have been magically restored to running like new after these kinds of issues from the just the steps I listed above!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-18-12 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-18-12, 05:50 PM
adrenelin5
Rookie

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
make sure all of the trunk hinge wires are completely repaired properly, with the correct wires together, soldered, and then individually taped with electrical tape

this is a known problem area with the first gen LS400 and you must get it repaired like new before you go any further

the next most likely thing to check is the positive battery connection, take it apart and replace that end piece with one from the dealership - I can get you the part number, but they will recognize it at the dealership

if that doesn't work, then I would strongly suggest you replace the ECU capacitors - using the exact ones mentioned in the thread.

sure, it could be the starter, but that is expensive and a royal pain of a job to do or very expensive if you have it done, so let's rule out all the more likely stuff that costs like $20 or less first, before spending $1000!

I know some of my recommendations are a bit unconventional, but you would be surprised how many LS400's have been magically restored to running like new after these kinds of issues from the just the steps I listed above!
Tomorrow.... after a good night of drunkenness I'm going to cut out and replace the wiring in the trunk hinge one foot in either direction of the existing breaks on all the wires and properly solder them. I will report if this fix's the issue so anyone plagued with similar issues will have some insight.

You also mentioned the positive terminal connection. Mine looks fine to the naked eye. Sure it's scratched and old but I'm curious why or how this piece could be a problem.

Last edited by adrenelin5; 12-18-12 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-18-12, 06:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

You also mentioned the positive terminal connection. Mine looks fine to the naked eye. Sure it's scratched and old but I'm curious why or how this piece could be a problem.
there is a break in the line about a couple inches from the battery post where the bolt is, corrosion likes to get up in there and eat it internally and when I took mine apart, I was like WHOA! - because it looked fine from the outside - just replace it, it is only like $10-$12 bucks at the dealer
Old 12-19-12, 06:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

link to DIY for the trunk hinge harness:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html
Old 12-19-12, 11:18 PM
adrenelin5
Rookie

Default Hinge repair

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
link to DIY for the trunk hinge harness:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html
I cut out about a foot off each wire in the trunk hinge and soldered in new and there seems to be no improvement. My father inlaw suggested changing the battery out with one he has in his truck thats exactly the right size and also brand new. But I'm a little skeptical about a low battery causing the car to die while driving.

Last edited by adrenelin5; 12-19-12 at 11:22 PM. Reason: rewording
Old 12-19-12, 11:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

a defective battery and/or alternator can either one cause a car to die while driving! - absolutely!
Old 12-20-12, 11:14 AM
adrenelin5
Rookie

a defective battery and/or alternator can either one cause a car to die while driving! - absolutely!
I only say this because My battery light comes on during start test but does not come on anytime while driving. I checked the connection at the positive terminal and while I was able to loosen the wing nut relatively easily there was little/no discoloration to the mating surfaces. Perhaps the wing nut was the problem. If it does not improve today I'm going to borrow a battery. Also just to note I had starting issues directly after replacing the starter solenoid but after charging it on high for an hour it worked as it should. Then days later I started to see slow starts again.
Old 12-24-12, 01:49 AM
adrenelin5
Rookie

I think you are right about the alternator. I put a near new battery in yesterday, today it decided not to start. Next, I did nothing but hook up a charger and boost it and it came alive instantly. I guess it is possible for an alternator to not show it's malfunctioning by illuminating the battery light to be defective. I'll be pulling it in the morning to check the brushes. If this does work then I'm afraid I replaced the EFI relay, fuel pump, filter and replaced the contacts and plunger on the starter for no reason. Thats a lot of bloody work although I learned a lot . I'll just be happy if this **** is done with.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the help.
Old 12-24-12, 06:09 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

u dont have to pull it apart..take it to a local parts store and have it tested
Old 12-24-12, 09:11 PM
adrenelin5
Rookie

Pulled the alternator today. The brushes were full of really gooky oil. No I idea how but I image that would cause a charging problem. Got the battery on trickle charge now. I guess i'll find out in the morning.
Old 12-25-12, 04:04 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ps pump is leaking
Old 12-25-12, 11:43 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

ps pump is leaking
power steering system component(s) are leaking, may not be the pump or just the pump alone, could be reservoir, reservoir o-rings, hi pressure hose, etc.

but it is definitely leaking PS fluid that killed your alternator!

Quick Reply: 1994 Ls400 starting /stallling issues