LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Factory Radio Service aux-in on 2000 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 08:14 PM
DesertLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kansas, thanks for posting this. This is on my wishlist as I like to upgrade my LS but keep it fairly stock looking.

I am considering getting the "premium" mod with the connection in the back of the unit. When you remove the wood shift cover, is there enough space under there to run the wire all the way to the armrest?

I thought about drilling holes into the armrest, at a place below the shifter cover, so the wire could run and stay in there when not in use and be completely out of sight. Thanks for your help and sorry if my description is not very good.
Old 03-18-13, 08:59 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I actually just ran the wire from my aux- in under the shift plate up into the armrest this weekend. Worked great! There is plenty o' room, at least in my 97. In the armrest, I just used the same path that the wire for the carphone used to be in, so their wasn't any drilling needed. the ground loop isolator tucked nicely into the space underneath the head unit, behind the shift plate.
Old 03-18-13, 10:00 PM
DesertLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mspearl95
I actually just ran the wire from my aux- in under the shift plate up into the armrest this weekend. Worked great! There is plenty o' room, at least in my 97. In the armrest, I just used the same path that the wire for the carphone used to be in, so their wasn't any drilling needed. the ground loop isolator tucked nicely into the space underneath the head unit, behind the shift plate.
MS, did you happen to take any pictures with the wire under the shift plate? If not, could you take some pictures of the wire running into the armrest console? I'd love to see how you have it all connected!
Old 03-19-13, 05:01 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Hiya! I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.

Originally Posted by DesertLS
MS, did you happen to take any pictures with the wire under the shift plate? If not, could you take some pictures of the wire running into the armrest console? I'd love to see how you have it all connected!
Old 03-19-13, 07:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there's MORE than enough room for a wire under the shifter bezel.
Old 03-19-13, 07:35 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

There's lots of room. I ran my wire right into the center console. No need to drill, there's a small removable plate inside the center console above the 12v adapter.
Old 02-28-17, 06:58 AM
BNastee
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default great result

Thank you for posting about Factory Radio Service. I sent my 2000 LS base head unit to Jon and have it reinstalled now. I'm very happy with the results. As long as you aren't charging your phone you won't have any ground loop feedback and the sound is very, very good.

I have a 70s era Chevrolet radio I'm going to send him as an AUX Port project.

Rich

Originally Posted by Kansas
There isn't much to see in these photos other than the flawless installation of a push-button on/off switch for the aux-in to the right of the fader **** and the 3.5mm aux-in port (included 6 foot 3.5 mm audio cord plugged into it) installed at the back of the head unit. http://factoryradioservice.com/index.php

Edit: The radio must be set to either FM1 or FM2 for the aux on/off switch to work.

The cost of this deluxe version of the several aux-in formats offered by Factory Radio Service was $85 not including shipping ($15 each way via FedEx) between Kansas and Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

Sound quality is excellent. Although the aux-in is connected to the FM section, sound quality is closer to CD quality. I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between playing my favorite "test song" from a commercial CD and from my phone's memory ... and I've listened to that tune a few hundred times on vinyl, CD and MP3 since the 60's.

I was particularly impressed when how great Pandora sounds through the aux-in connection -- definitely going to have to get a higher capacity data plan for my phone.

The service by Factory Radio Service was fast - they received my radio on a Thursday and shipped it back to me the following Monday. I couldn't be more satisfied.

There were a couple of issues that have nothing to do with the aux-in install: The output level of the audio-out jack on my Samsung Galaxy S3 "Infuse" charging cradle is too low to supply the aux-in. Instead of plugging the aux-in cable permanently into the charging cradle, I instead have to plug the aux-in cable into the top of my phone each time I want to stream audio from it. Not a huge problem but I was looking for "perfect".

And so far, most of the time, my car's electrical system has been emitting too much EMI and/or RFI to charge my phone while listing to audio from it. I've tried ferrite chokes on the phone's micro USB charging cable with no improvement. Any suggestions for suppressing this interference would be appreciated.

Regardess of the current phone charging issue, sliding the charging portion of the cradle downward and away from the phone makes the audio crystal clear.
Old 02-28-17, 06:49 PM
bornking
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BNastee
Thank you for posting about Factory Radio Service. I sent my 2000 LS base head unit to Jon and have it reinstalled now. I'm very happy with the results. As long as you aren't charging your phone you won't have any ground loop feedback and the sound is very, very good.

I have a 70s era Chevrolet radio I'm going to send him as an AUX Port project.

Rich
Amazon sells cheap ground loop isolators
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (03-01-17)
Old 07-02-18, 12:24 AM
99LSprobs
Rookie

Do you have a link to replace the LCD’s??? On my 99 LS the buttons on everything don’t light up at night, I have to turn on the lights to change everything. And it’s not a fuse, the climate control section still works
Old 07-03-18, 10:31 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

ive considered this, but i just use the cassette player to run my phone music from. unfortunatly, mp3s from a phone, dont sound anywhere near as good as a cd. doesnt matter if its via a cassette adapter in a 20 year old ls400, or via BT audio in a new ls500, the quality just isnt there. im an audiophile so i notice crap like this. most people wont tho. although inconvienent, CDs are by far superior in sound quality.

the cassette adaptors arent awful, depending on what year car it is and how much the player was used if you dont mind a little hiss. i dont. oddly enough, the cassette adaptor sounds WAY better in my 95 then in my 2000
Old 07-03-18, 11:22 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
ive considered this, but i just use the cassette player to run my phone music from. unfortunatly, mp3s from a phone, dont sound anywhere near as good as a cd. doesnt matter if its via a cassette adapter in a 20 year old ls400, or via BT audio in a new ls500, the quality just isnt there. im an audiophile so i notice crap like this. most people wont tho. although inconvienent, CDs are by far superior in sound quality.

the cassette adaptors arent awful, depending on what year car it is and how much the player was used if you dont mind a little hiss. i dont. oddly enough, the cassette adaptor sounds WAY better in my 95 then in my 2000
I agree.When nephew schooled me on car audio a few months back he set up a bunch of different setups,one thing we did was compare his phone via bluetooth to my ipod clone via wire,the wire had it all over the wireless.You could really tell the difference via headphones,night and day difference.It was a surprise to HIM! And that man can set up a stereo system that blows your mind and doesnt cost a billion dollars either.And Ive owned some cars with really good high end car stereos.

Car radio/speaker market tech has been really improving.A LOT!
Old 07-03-18, 11:30 AM
99LSprobs
Rookie

Ik what you mean, I notice the difference 2! And it really annoys me. I use the tape/ aux cord also and it gets the job done but nothing compares to the CD as u said. I don’t even own any CDs I like I just listen to them for the better boom
Old 02-11-19, 02:06 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

prolly no good for a non namakichi nav radio off a 99?
Old 02-11-19, 04:54 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
prolly no good for a non namakichi nav radio off a 99?
The aux-in mod should work fine on a standard Pioneer system although the Kenwood I later had installed was more satisfying: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8219167
Old 02-11-19, 04:57 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
The aux-in mod should work fine on a standard Pioneer system although the Kenwood I later had installed was more satisfying: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8219167
Nice but that would require another 200 or so just to get the vents. Plus more for the deck and kits. If I can get the mod working on stock setup that would be quicker and easier on wallet. Have a few things coming up that have priority on this car.