LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Wreck

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-02, 02:14 AM
SCLEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wreck

This was insane. I was in my friend's mom's LS430 and we were driving down the freeway when the cars piled up all of a sudden and they were stopped. My friend's aunt just called the driver, and she looked down to check the cell phone at the exact moment the cars were stopped infront of us. I was in the passenger's seat and yelled "Brake BRAKE BRAKE!!" and she looked up and stomped on the brakes, and since it is nice and new (still has dealer tags) they worked very well. We stopped 10 feet in front of the stopped car, but a KIA SOFIA rear ended us!

The man jumped out of his car yelling explitives , like " Woman! why'd you brake so fast *****" to the driver. He obviously didnt have insurance, and said so. Also, this is the funny part, "Look what you did to my new car!" We searched the license plate database, and it was a 1999, compared to our 2003 LS430. I was appalled he would even think to make this remark! Then he drove off and told us to meet him at El Fenix, we decided not to, and surveyed the damage later, just a bunch of white marks and two small scrapes in the rear bumper.

Probably $500 worth of damage, but a small price to pay for our safety, just thought I should share with ya'll even though I own an SC400.
Old 12-09-02, 04:34 PM
harris10101

what an ***, a new ls, id kill him if that happened to mine
Old 12-09-02, 08:01 PM
JWC83
Driver School Candidate

You sound like a stuck up *****. There is no reason at all to judge someone's character based on what kind of car he drives. You're one of the people who drives a nice car just because he thinks it will make other people think more highly of him. It doesn't! You harp on the man who hit you, but had you not been in the passenger seat, wouldn't your friend have done the very same thing to the car in front of her since she was looking at her cell phone? Yes, she would have. Oh, but she drives a Lexus, so I guess that would not make her a horrible and degenerate person. Get over yourself.
Old 12-09-02, 09:15 PM
harris10101

i didnt mean that to make the other guy look like a poor kid, im from a 3rd world country, and i lived there for a long time so i know what being poor is like. Im just saying that him not saying sorry or anything of that matter is completly disrespectful to the other person (u in that case) becausehe fails to realize that his car isnt the only on damaged. Im sorry if u felt that i was insulting him, i guess you took my statement the wrong way
Old 12-09-02, 09:16 PM
harris10101

also, the id kill him part is exaggerated, i meant that i would make him compensate for part of the damage, or something like that
Old 12-09-02, 10:12 PM
JWC83
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I was responding to the first post. Should have made that clearer.
Old 12-09-02, 11:54 PM
scbysnx
Driver School Candidate

I completely agree that the conduct of the man who hit you was rediculous and it was his fault he hit you not yours.. but the fact that you focused on the fact that your car was nicer than his is kinda snobbish.. the car probably was new to him.. just learn some humility please
Old 12-10-02, 05:42 PM
harris10101

im sorry if you took it that way, and i dont necessarily think my car is better, its just that he blamed the crash on u for braking, even though he was the one that didnt have the good enough reaction time or whatever it was that he needed, im sorry if u thought that i mean that all offensively, but i really didnt
Old 12-10-02, 07:26 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I was sitting still in my LS400, waiting for the car in front of me to turn, and got hit from behind by a Ford Taurus going about 40 miles per hour. It was a 55 mph area and her black marks were about 20 feet, that's how I estimate her speed. That Taurus was tore all to pieces. Radiator busted, hood buckled, headlights everywhere, wouldn't even crank. when I got out to check on the lady in the Taurus, I saw the front of her car and after finding out she was okay, I was afraid to look at the back end of mine. You know, after seeing how tore up her front end was. Well, I finally had to look and I couldn't believe it. The only damage done to my car was to the bottom bumper strip. That colored bottom trim. I could barely believe my eyes. It just had a few DEEP scratches. slightly buckled in the bottom.

The LS400 held up like a tank. It is nice to know you got some protection.

I just drove on home like nothing happened. My friends went to see her car and couldn't believe the difference in the damages.
Old 12-10-02, 09:51 PM
paradox
Rookie

Hey Gebo... the same thing happened to me this past summer. I was driving a loaner ES300, when I was rear-ended by a (Chevy?) Econoliner van. This was right outside the Lex dealership too. The front bumper on the van was pretty mangled, but the ES' bumper barely evidenced a scratch. However, one of the techs there pointed out that the bumper does need to be replaced, because the material within is all collapsed. If you push the area of impact with your hand, it'll just depress right in. Reason I mention this is that it won't offer you the same level of protection if something like this should ever happen like that again, unless it's replaced. Glad you were okay.
Old 12-10-02, 10:41 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Paradox,

Yea, thanks for info. It is scheduled to be replaced/repaired next Monday. I feel pretty good getting it done right because my friend is gonna do the painting. He said he'd make sure the body guys do their thing right........