LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 LS: ECU tuning options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 08:49 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 LS: ECU tuning options?

Hey,

I've just started looking into the idea of tuning my ECU. Basically, I want a good, solid tune to go with my cams, intake and exhaust mods (to come). I will also possibly be running an oil cooler. The gains will be more apparent with a good tune. It doesn't seem to have been explored all that much for LSs. Anyone have any insight? I was looking at the Apex'i S-AFC Neo, seems like Lextreme recommends it. Any words of wisdom on the whole situation. I basically looking to get a little more HP for a budget of around 2gs.

P.S.: I would do my R154 swap before the power getters but my winter storage spot only allows for minimal amounts of car-related work so swapping the trans isn't an option. Only when I take it out in spring.

Renato.
Old 11-21-12, 11:33 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easiest way is to find a MINES ECU I would have thought.
Old 11-21-12, 11:57 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steve2006
Easiest way is to find a MINES ECU I would have thought.
I've been looking around but they're pretty pricey usually and harder to tune, I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks for the insight
Old 11-21-12, 07:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

SAFC-Neo is a decent start but is a piggyback (no ECU flashing options available, the Mine's ECU basically does the same thing but with a daughterboard on the ECU instead of externally, iirc).

If you're planning on boosting it then you'll be needing timing control, so the AEM F/IC 8 is a better choice.

In my opinion the end-all of ecu tuning solutions is in the form of big boy standalone, ie-Pectel SQ series, or Motec. Aem's new standalone is a nice consumer-grade standalone though...
Old 11-21-12, 10:42 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd avoid Pectel's unless you are a Programming and Software engineer with a Minor in Automotive systems
Unless they have improved in recent years, the system is hopelessly pedantic, saying the end user support is "poor" would be high praise and the ECU are no better than options that cost much much less.

DTA ECU would be a much better option than a Pectel and well within your budget. Plus they have a very good back end and customer support with a programming/tuning system far more intuitive than a Pectel. This means that most quality tuning shops that specialize in tuning, that own and run a Dyno in house should be able to handle your project at minimal additional cost. i believe there are even one or 2 DTA dealers in Eastern Canada.

A Motec is well out of your budget, unless you triple or quadruple your numbers and have a shop that can build you a harness, a Motec is probably out of the question. Although there are some very good Motec tuners in and around GTA and Montreal.

AEM units seem to be getting very high praise and are a reasonable price All things considered. They are also a fairly common tuning systems across the import world which means a LOT of tuning support across the country.

Piggy-back ECU's are band-aid solutions and are often very crude in their capabilities.

A flasher style tuner is obviously the simplest method but I don't think major companies like SCT have done or will do any work on Toyota ECU's from 15+years ago when they basically stopped paying attention to the Bread&butter Domestic cars of the same vintage.

I am interested to see what you can find though, so please keep us updated.
Old 11-21-12, 10:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Shmee
I'd avoid Pectel's unless you are a Programming and Software engineer with a Minor in Automotive systems
Unless they have improved in recent years, the system is hopelessly pedantic, saying the end user support is "poor" would be high praise and the ECU are no better than options that cost much much less.

DTA ECU would be a much better option than a Pectel and well within your budget. Plus they have a very good back end and customer support with a programming/tuning system far more intuitive than a Pectel. This means that most quality tuning shops that specialize in tuning, that own and run a Dyno in house should be able to handle your project at minimal additional cost. i believe there are even one or 2 DTA dealers in Eastern Canada.

A Motec is well out of your budget, unless you triple or quadruple your numbers and have a shop that can build you a harness, a Motec is probably out of the question. Although there are some very good Motec tuners in and around GTA and Montreal.

AEM units seem to be getting very high praise and are a reasonable price All things considered. They are also a fairly common tuning systems across the import world which means a LOT of tuning support across the country.

Piggy-back ECU's are band-aid solutions and are often very crude in their capabilities.

A flasher style tuner is obviously the simplest method but I don't think major companies like SCT have done or will do any work on Toyota ECU's from 15+years ago when they basically stopped paying attention to the Bread&butter Domestic cars of the same vintage.

I am interested to see what you can find though, so please keep us updated.
the toyota ECUs havent had their encryption cracked. ever.

I did say the "end-all" not the easiest/cheapest/most user friendly That being said, the customization potential of those top end ECUs is unmatched, and with the right amount of money/knowledge can do incredible things. If I was doing my LS up the way I wanted, with minimal budget constraints, would definitely be on my list.

Piggy back solutions have come a long way though, you may want to look into the new piggyback options from AEM/Innovate/A'pexi

Last edited by PureDrifter; 11-21-12 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-21-12, 10:58 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Shmee, how about you start putting together performance ecu's like Mines used to. That would be a great if someone was able to do this. Just switch out diodes, a few capacitor and maybe a couple of resisters right? Counting on you Shmee! Wonder how Mines did it?

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-21-12 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-21-12, 11:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

lol these aren't 70's/80s ecus.

if i remember right Mines/Blitz/Tom's/etc... use a daughterboard setup, basically an on-board piggyback in essence, though more than just fuel/air control.
Old 11-22-12, 08:26 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Pd,
I figured the Toyota ECU had yet to be cracked, sort of what I was getting at.

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Shmee, how about you start putting together performance ecu's like Mines used to. That would be a great if someone was able to do this. Just switch out diodes, a few capacitor and maybe a couple of resisters right? Counting on you Shmee! Wonder how Mines did it?
What are you on about!?
Old 11-22-12, 09:08 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry, Shmee. I was just teasing you because of your electrical engineering knowledge. Mines said they stopped making the modified ecu's due to parts no longer being available. I guess like Nakamichi.
Old 11-22-12, 10:05 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

I figured that's what you were doing, but I do not have a lot electrical engineering knowledge, I am working on my BEng for Mechanical Engineering which has a little cross over with Elec.
Old 11-25-12, 12:32 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Thank you everyone for your input! Let's keep the discussion alive as I think many users can benefit from this. Pure, I'm not planning on boosting it. Just some N/A powergetters, I just want something that I can use to make little adjustments to the ECU with. Would anyone recommend an oil cooler? Does anyone know if these cars run hot (oil and coolant now that I mention it) when they're driven hard for an extended period of time (i.e.: circuit, autox, etc...)?
Old 11-25-12, 03:27 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

oil cooler is a good idea, but a trans cooler is probably going to be more urgently needed when tracking.

SAFC neo will be fine if you don't intend to boost. Boomslang could probably make you a harness so it becomes plug and play for wiring.
Old 11-26-12, 08:29 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
oil cooler is a good idea, but a trans cooler is probably going to be more urgently needed when tracking.

SAFC neo will be fine if you don't intend to boost. Boomslang could probably make you a harness so it becomes plug and play for wiring.
Thanks for your input Pure, you always provide valuable info. Is Boomslang a user here?
Old 11-26-12, 11:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

boomslang is a company. google boomslang harness and you'll find the site. The GS/IS guys are rather familiar with them.