LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Does this look like a damaged master control switch to you? (LS400)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 03:47 AM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does this look like a damaged master control switch to you? (LS400)

This is from my 95 LS400. I've searched and read about other people having problems with their windows. My problem is that every window in the car (Front & Rear driver/passenger side) works with their own window switch but the windows won't work (won't roll up or down) from my master switch except for my own window (drivers window). I read that a lot of people have been taking apart their circuit boards and cleaning the contacts on them due to corrosion. Well I took mine out and cleaned the contacts even though it didn't look like there were any corrosion or burnt contacts. Then retried the switch to see if it would work but it didn't

Here's photos of my master switch circuit board.

Does it look f'd up to you or do you guys think it could be some wiring problem that's causing my master switch not to work?
Help please!!! Any would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-12, 04:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

people talking about contacts are talking about the switch contacts, not the circuit board.
Old 10-21-12, 04:25 AM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
people talking about contacts are talking about the switch contacts, not the circuit board.
oh I thought they meant on the circuit boards. When I opened up the switch there was this white rubber thing with small circular contacts all over the bottom of it. You know what I'm talking about?

This is what I pulled out when taking apart the switch: I unscrewed the wooden trim>pull off the black plastic cover (with the window buttons attached to it)>under the cover were long plastic things (that looked like those toothpick looking things you use for golf to hold the golf ball in place) that pushed against this rubber piece the same size as the circuit board>pull off the rubber, there are small contacts under it. Do I take a picture of that and show it?

Oh I even tried my friends master switch (from a 99 LS) to see if it would work but that didn't do squat!
Old 10-21-12, 08:58 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The interlocked U shaped print in the lighter circles are contacts, the rubber pads have a conductive coating underneath which when the pad is pressed makes the contacts connect together.
The actual PCB looks fine, there is no evidence of track damage.
Old 10-21-12, 10:26 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You may have one or more broken wires in the wire harness that leads to the master switch. I don't have a schematic, but one wire is probably common to all three remote windows, and if it is broken, all three will not work from the master control.
Old 10-21-12, 03:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SPhoto
oh I thought they meant on the circuit boards. When I opened up the switch there was this white rubber thing with small circular contacts all over the bottom of it. You know what I'm talking about?

This is what I pulled out when taking apart the switch: I unscrewed the wooden trim>pull off the black plastic cover (with the window buttons attached to it)>under the cover were long plastic things (that looked like those toothpick looking things you use for golf to hold the golf ball in place) that pushed against this rubber piece the same size as the circuit board>pull off the rubber, there are small contacts under it. Do I take a picture of that and show it?

Oh I even tried my friends master switch (from a 99 LS) to see if it would work but that didn't do squat!
that would be because '98-00 switches are a different part number since the whole car is multiplexed...
Old 10-22-12, 12:22 AM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steve2006
The interlocked U shaped print in the lighter circles are contacts, the rubber pads have a conductive coating underneath which when the pad is pressed makes the contacts connect together.
The actual PCB looks fine, there is no evidence of track damage.
So this circuit board looks fine then?

Originally Posted by fixmiester
You may have one or more broken wires in the wire harness that leads to the master switch. I don't have a schematic, but one wire is probably common to all three remote windows, and if it is broken, all three will not work from the master control.
Got any pics of the wires so I could get a better idea/visual?

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
that would be because '98-00 switches are a different part number since the whole car is multiplexed...
I see. I thought it didn't work because the 98-00 has all automatic windows while my year 95-97 only has the driver window automatic.