LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I have a confession to make....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 12:11 AM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a confession to make....

Two days ago I bought a 1993 LS400. I got it for a good price so was planning on flipping it in a few months to make a few quid on it. The journey home was two hours which was enough to know I ain't letting this thing go!!!

I'M IN LEXTACY!!!!

And today was another reason to keep this PHAT cruiser! I went for a drive up the highway to do an economy run. I filled the tank to the brim, traveled 108 km's (67miles for you Yankies). I pulled into the servo and only managed to squeeze 4.99 litres in her!!!! (1.3 gallons)

1.3 gallons for 67 miles!!!!

Dunno bout you lot but that is INSANELY GOOD in my book!

Last edited by Boob; 10-07-12 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-07-12, 01:09 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

sounds like a winner!
Old 10-07-12, 02:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

congrats on the pick up mate but either you misread or the receipt was wrong or there's still space in your tank, no way at all your gasoline powered LS made 50mpg+
Old 10-07-12, 02:14 AM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
congrats on the pick up mate but either you misread or the receipt was wrong or there's still space in your tank, no way at all your gasoline powered LS made 50mpg+
A friend & I had a good discussion about it today. The amount of km's traveled & fuel put it were 100% correct............108 km's (67 miles) for 4.99 litres........(1.3 US Gallons).

We were both racking our brains how this came about. Agreed it's bonkers! The only possibility I can really think of was the top up wasn't quite the same as the first but even then it can't take much more as fuel (both fills) were frothing up at the cap. Going to try it again tomorrow. Any excuse to go for a long cruise
Old 10-07-12, 06:00 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

lol..congrats...and u did not get that type of mileage. your 93 gets 23-25 tops
Old 10-07-12, 08:08 AM
E36M3
Driver

On your first fill up, make a note for yourself the date, number of (A) gallons, and (B) mileage at the time you filled her up. Make another note the second time you fill her up and the (C) mileage and reset the trip meter to zero. Subtract C from B and that's your ending (D) miles/trip miles. Divide D from A and that's your calculated MPG.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-12, 08:19 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

wow..reset trip meter..fill up and run out 3 tanks of gas,keep track of how many gallons each time..fill up one final time and at that point add up total gallons and divide total mileage by the number of gallons. thats ur mileage and its not exact but only a reference point
Old 10-07-12, 09:39 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Congrats!
If your gas does that, many of us here in the states would like to see those numbers.
Usual numbers for the 1-LS is about 19-22 MPG. 2-LS 95-97 is 20-24, 98-00 about 21-26 MPG.
Old 10-08-12, 01:13 AM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E36M3
On your first fill up, make a note for yourself the date, number of (A) gallons, and (B) mileage at the time you filled her up. Make another note the second time you fill her up and the (C) mileage and reset the trip meter to zero. Subtract C from B and that's your ending (D) miles/trip miles. Divide D from A and that's your calculated MPG.

Hope this helps.
lol thanks captain obvious! Aside from the date............wtf has the DATE got to do with an economy run? And why would you need to reset the trip meter AFTER the run??

Originally Posted by RA40
Congrats!
If your gas does that, many of us here in the states would like to see those numbers.
Usual numbers for the 1-LS is about 19-22 MPG. 2-LS 95-97 is 20-24, 98-00 about 21-26 MPG.
Cheers....didn't get a chance to do it again today so will try again on the same stretch of highway to keep it as close to the first run as possible. What also needs to be taken into consideration is it's an ECONOMY RUN......& on (mostly) flat highway. If you have ever seen Top Gear (UK version) they also have had stupidly good mileage from a variety of totally different cars. To compare normal day to day driving to an eco run is apples & banana's material as few people will drive like that everyday.
Old 10-08-12, 01:37 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Boob
lol thanks captain obvious! Aside from the date............wtf has the DATE got to do with an economy run? And why would you need to reset the trip meter AFTER the run??

Cheers....didn't get a chance to do it again today so will try again on the same stretch of highway to keep it as close to the first run as possible. What also needs to be taken into consideration is it's an ECONOMY RUN......& on (mostly) flat highway. If you have ever seen Top Gear (UK version) they also have had stupidly good mileage from a variety of totally different cars. To compare normal day to day driving to an eco run is apples & banana's material as few people will drive like that everyday.
good mileage is one thing, but you won't get 2.5-3x the mileage average owners get....

also, jeremy didn't even get anything close to what you claimed in the turbodiesel vw/audi he drove across the UK.
Old 10-08-12, 02:50 AM
Boob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
good mileage is one thing, but you won't get 2.5-3x the mileage average owners get....

also, jeremy didn't even get anything close to what you claimed in the turbo diesel vw/audi he drove across the UK.
Time will tell I guess.........will post results of the 2nd run. Will be paying particular attention to the filling of the tank both times. Even though I did the first time that's obviously the area for greatest variance.
Old 10-08-12, 06:28 AM
E36M3
Driver

Originally Posted by Boob
The date has nothing to do with it. It's there for my own personal settings. Also, you don't need to reset the trip meter.
Old 10-08-12, 11:14 AM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your MPGs are awesome. Mines only got 19 mpgs tops /mostly freeway and about 16 mpgs mostly city.
Old 10-08-12, 11:31 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

welcome boob! these cars are great, which is why there is still a strong following despite their age.

i have an unproven theory that gas (or petrol) outside of the US burns better. i say this b/c cars in europe get almost TWICE the amount of miles than us stateside. they can get about 600 miles on a full tank. how is that possible?! all that makes sense to me is that their gas prices are almost double so that compensates for it all! same bang for the buck.

i've based all my info from watching episodes of top gear UK haha!
Old 10-08-12, 11:37 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in virginia. I regularly get 26 mpg in the summer. Thats 585 miles a tank...
I have averaged 29 mpg on a 100 mile trip to the beach before. That comes to 650 miles a tank...

Boom. Theory killed.

Quick Reply: I have a confession to make....