LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 Brakes and Rotors. Front Screws Missing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 05:48 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Brakes and Rotors. Front Screws Missing!

I was going to see how my rotors and pads looked yesterday. I removed the wheels and saw that my front rotors didn't have the bolts in them that go to the hub. The driver side rear did have both. The passenger side rear had a really bad stripped head and the other one was sheared off. Anyways, the pads and rotors looked very thick still so I will wait until spring. My questions are...
How important are these bolts and should I get the ones in the front installed?
Do these need to be removed to get the rotor off, in other words, does it actually lock the rotor to the hub or is it just used as a spacer?
Anyone have a link online to get them?

The crazy thing about all this is I have the carfax for my vehicle and the last brake service was performed by a Lexus dealership!
Old 09-24-12, 07:24 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

most of the answers to all ur questions are self explanatory..except the spacer comment. that statement right there is bewildering
Old 09-24-12, 07:40 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

don't be ridiculous and dumb - ALL bolts related to the braking system are CRITICAL for safety. - Toyota doesn't spend money on extra bolts just for fun! - I personally wouldn't ride with you down to the local WalMart until all wheels have the missing bolts installed correctly and torqued accurately.

Do these need to be removed to get the rotor off, in other words, does it actually lock the rotor to the hub or is it just used as a spacer?
if you are not sure what the function of these braking system bolts are, then perhaps someone else needs to do the repair!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-24-12 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 09:49 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Don't really need the insults...
I've done tons of brake jobs but mostly with floating caliper systems. This is probably the first fixed caliper system I've looked at, not sure if that makes a difference. Also, the last brake service (like I said) was done by a Lexus dealership approximately 40,000 miles ago! The reason I asked what they did is because I have not noticed anything abnormal with the car and why would a reputable dealership induce that kind of vulnerability by not placing 4 bolts in some rotors during routine maintenance?
Old 09-24-12, 10:21 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

wasn't trying to insult, but was shocked at your leisurely attitude concerning brake bolts!! - that is a super dangerous thing to play around about!

you can get shoddy and unsafe work from *any* mechanic, even from a Lexus dealership - yes, Lexus dealership mechanics are a better overall group than average, but bad work does get done there sometimes.

are you sure it was an oversight error, perhaps the bolts were not left out, but incorrectly installed and sheared off and fell out since the time that anyone last looked at it?

ALL brake bolts are critical, there are no extra bolts just for fun - I would get on this project this week!
Old 09-24-12, 10:39 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Thanks, I ordered new ones. The closest dealer who had them in stock was in Plano TX! I ordered from Sewell. I was definitely shocked when I didn't see them in there, it did concern me. Maybe they were sheared off, I didn't look that close. If they are that will be fun to get out, vise grips?
Old 09-24-12, 12:08 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

ok ok ok here is the lowdown on the hardware. you will be fine WITHOUT them! reason i say that is b/c these two screws are simply there to keep the rotor on the hub while you reinstall the caliper. they are NOT critical for your braking. the WHEELS STUDs are the main parts that enable the rotor, not those small bolts! i hope this makes sense.

this is why you did not see any adverse affect on your braking with or out without them. it is very possible the lexus tech failed to reinstall them back. they do strip very often if not properly removed with an impact driver. but don't fret too much, this part is not critical! to remove the stripped head, simply slot the head with a dremel, spray PBblaster to loosen the threads, and remove. you can also drill them out.
Old 09-24-12, 05:49 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

he said "bolts" - not screws

all of the bolts are critical!
Old 09-25-12, 06:04 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Well I am talking about the phillips head hardware that screw through the rotor, they normally need to come off to remove the rotor. Honda's and Mazda's also do it IIRC. I already ordered them anyways, thanks though.
Old 09-25-12, 06:47 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i knew what u meant...cowboy ur way over the top here and am surprised u didnt have an admin warn u about ur attitude..those screws are not needed just so u know and have no safety effect what so ever.
Old 09-25-12, 12:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
don't be ridiculous and dumb - ALL bolts related to the braking system are CRITICAL for safety. - Toyota doesn't spend money on extra bolts just for fun! - I personally wouldn't ride with you down to the local WalMart until all wheels have the missing bolts installed correctly and torqued accurately.

if you are not sure what the function of these braking system bolts are, then perhaps someone else needs to do the repair!
calm down, lose the attitude, and don't post in this thread any longer.

OP is talking about the two screws (see the title?) that hold the rotor to the hub. They are not mission critical by any means, though they do help extend pad life by keeping the rotor centered and reducing the chance of warpage.
Old 09-27-12, 08:22 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Thanks everyone, I ordered them but may wait until spring to install them since I will have new rotors and pads at that point.
PD, I took your advice and ordered Centric blanks and Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced ceramic brake pads.
Old 09-28-12, 08:12 AM
kyddo112
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those screws are annoying unless you have the right phillips head for it. i used to leave them off after i would have to drill them out once they stripped but found the perfect phillips head in a cheapo walmart tool kit. but yeah like everyone else said you can run without them.