LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Old 10-12-12, 12:25 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

you don't need bags of them, just those brands listed above and make sure they are the low ESR type that yamae specified in post #8 of this thread and that they are 105C temp rated, and at least as high of a voltage as the originals.

examples:

Rubycon type ZLH
Nippon Chemi-con type KZE
Panasonic type FR

Attachment 501425Attachment 501695Attachment 501426Attachment 501427Attachment 501695Attachment 501428Attachment 501695Attachment 501429

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 07-20-13 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-14-12, 01:30 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be really nice if someone sold these capacitors as a kit.
Old 10-14-12, 07:14 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking solid state capacitors this way no liquid to leak. Also higher temp rating

http://www.avx.com/docs/Catalogs/tap.pdf

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll

They cost a lot more which is why manufactures do not use them

Last edited by sam12345; 10-14-12 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-14-12, 06:45 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
I'm thinking solid state capacitors this way no liquid to leak. Also higher temp rating

http://www.avx.com/docs/Catalogs/tap.pdf

They cost a lot more which is why manufactures do not use them
Tantalum capacitors are good except 2 points.
1, Much expensive compared with electrolytic capacitors.
2, Bigger risks of fire hazard as is explained below.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/10...gers-tantalum/

I had big problems introducing tantalum capacitors for the power circuits. We were manufacturing RF equipments a lot and we often had smoke/burning problems at the market as well as at the manufacturing lines. We finally started to use an aging machine to age those tantalum capacitors to eliminate risky ones. The defect ratio has dropped but we still we had market failures time to time. We ended up not to use them anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
PhilipMidd (07-03-18), shamanic (05-30-17)
Old 10-15-12, 12:47 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I like to save up tantalum capacitors & lithium batteries for New's Years celebrations, cheaper than conventional fireworks - very good BANG! - lol
Old 10-15-12, 02:16 AM
Kanderson1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys....i have my work cut out for me, but nothing beats a failure but a good try. I will keep you all posted on my progress....
Old 10-15-12, 09:44 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kanderson1
Ok guys....i have my work cut out for me, but nothing beats a failure but a good try. I will keep you all posted on my progress....
If you purchased the correct brand & type of capacitors, as yamae & I specified, and you are careful with the 4 ribbon cables inside the ECU, and you wear all cotton clothing and bare feet to prevent static and you carefully inspect your work after you are done with a loupe, then you will be just fine!

I found that due to it being a multi-layer board, I had to solder the caps on both sides of the board, just "get in and get out" on the soldering, these caps do not like high heat from the soldering iron for an extended time period, and keep the leads long for the same reason (maximize lead length from board to cap) - you can always fold the cap down when you are done to make it fit back inside ECU case.

I also gave the board and ECU casing a blow of gentle compressed air when I was done to ensure no clipped leads or stray solder remained, but be gentle!
Old 10-15-12, 09:22 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not buying the exploding capacitors since those types are used all over inside cell phones. Unless they are not used on the power circuits.

I looked it up and I guess you are correct if incorrectly applied. From wikipidea

The low leakage and high capacity of tantalum capacitors favor their use in sample and hold circuits to achieve long hold duration, and some long duration timing circuits where precise timing is not critical. They are also often used for power supply rail decoupling in parallel with film or ceramic capacitors which provide low ESR and low reactance at high frequency. Tantalum capacitors can replace aluminum electrolytic capacitors in situations where the external environment or dense component packing results in a sustained hot internal environment and where high reliability is important. Equipment such as medical electronics and space equipment that require high quality and reliability makes use of tantalum capacitors.
An especially common application for low-voltage tantalum capacitors is power supply filtering on computer motherboards and in peripherals, due to their small size and long-term reliability.[2][3]
When applying tantalum capacitors, the possibility of thermal runaway (see above) or spontaneous short-circuiting must be considered. In many cases, a failed capacitor will only make the circuit stop functioning normally. However, if sufficient power is available, catastrophic thermal runaway may cause a fire or small explosion. A design can prevent this by using external current limiting (e.g. thermal fuse, circuit breaker).
Old 10-17-12, 12:26 AM
LexterLS40
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok there were some questions for me...

I am sorry to resopnd so late:

The ECU is from my LS400 build 1991 ufc10
The thing laying on the circuitboard is problably a hair from the white dog i have.
I really do not know anything about values or transistors on my ECU.

These pictrues were taken to show to the experts to see if i have ECU issues.

Do i have ECU issues ?

Greetings from the Dam
Old 10-17-12, 12:27 AM
LexterLS40
Driver

Originally Posted by cobalt91
It would be really nice if someone sold these capacitors as a kit.
good idea Cobalt .....
Old 10-18-12, 07:17 PM
53bel
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexterLS40
Ok there were some questions for me...

I am sorry to resopnd so late:

The ECU is from my LS400 build 1991 ufc10
The thing laying on the circuitboard is problably a hair from the white dog i have.
I really do not know anything about values or transistors on my ECU.

These pictrues were taken to show to the experts to see if i have ECU issues.

Do i have ECU issues ?

Greetings from the Dam

if you have it open or what not can you get a better look or pic under/around C715 and the one next to it and like every one else says if you dont now you, you will later so might as well fix em. Oh what are your symptoms that you are having?
Old 10-18-12, 08:24 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

I have seen capacitors look OK at a glance. But the ESR shows too big and the capacitance too low. It would be better for old LS400/Celcior owners to replace those capacitors as a preventive maintenance. They only cost 10 dollars+ or so.
Old 10-21-12, 10:28 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Manufacturer authorized USA online Internet sources for various recommended capacitors: (so you can avoid getting fake counterfeit capacitors)

Attachment 501425

www.digikey.com

www.newark.com

Attachment 501426Attachment 501427

www.digikey.com

www.newark.com
www.mouser.com

Attachment 501428

www.digikey.com

www.mouser.com

Attachment 501429

www.digikey.com

www.newark.com
www.mouser.com

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-21-12 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-21-12, 05:47 PM
53bel
Rookie

Nichicon, Nippon and Rubycon are on amazon very easy for 1 payment and it was cheaper to get more in a bag for the shipping plus i got more to play with now
Old 10-21-12, 09:03 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Nichicon, Nippon and Rubycon are on amazon very easy for 1 payment and it was cheaper to get more in a bag for the shipping plus i got more to play with now
not sure this is the best plan, none of those companies list amazon as an authorized dealer for their caps, and I have gotten plenty of counterfeit cell phone accessories from amazon, so a bit wary of this - DigiKey is cheap, like 33 cents or less for each capacitor, just not worth the risk of counterfeit when fixing a $2400 ECU

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)