LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Old 05-23-14, 08:10 AM
ldrbro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed the ECT, broke the plastic clip, so this is next, but I won't be doing it - excited to see how both of these combined will improve upone an already smooth and powerfull ride for a car with 231,000 miles on it. If anyone knows of a resource in Colorado to do the soldering, I'd appreciate it. And I ordered the exact caps from the sources supplied in this thread, thanks for the detailed information, just wish I had more than an 8th grade level of soldering experience!
Old 05-23-14, 09:21 AM
bernynhel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ldrbro
Changed the ECT, broke the plastic clip, so this is next, but I won't be doing it - excited to see how both of these combined will improve upone an already smooth and powerfull ride for a car with 231,000 miles on it. If anyone knows of a resource in Colorado to do the soldering, I'd appreciate it. And I ordered the exact caps from the sources supplied in this thread, thanks for the detailed information, just wish I had more than an 8th grade level of soldering experience!
How about anywhere in the Western Hemisphere to do the soldering?
Thats where Im at!
& stay away from ecmtogo.com
Old 05-27-14, 05:35 AM
Tuha
Driver

Ordered my caps last week. Can't wait.
Old 05-30-14, 03:08 PM
steedls400
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just spoke with Darryl at lexuspartsplus.com about fixing the ECU. Seems legit... What do you think LScowboyLS?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ptd/4432235192.html
Old 05-30-14, 05:46 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Email jim walker
Old 06-07-14, 08:19 PM
bunnybob
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,
Just read all 55 pages and signed up.
What a handy thread.
I have a late 97 5 speed VVTI LS 400 that I bought here in Australia three years ago and has 350,000 kilometres on the clock with the following symptoms.
-"Check engine" light comes on minutes after starting up.
-"VSC off" light comes on as well.
- The engine goes into "Limp Home" mode and I need to shift gears manually in order to get up hills, even fairly minor ones.
- The exhaust smells a bit strange.
- It runs fine for a while and things then go pear shaped. I used to get 10 minutes of normal operation. Now its more like two.
- Ive noticed that the "mode" readout sometimes changes from current usage to another mode.
- Ive noticed too that the brakes seem to lack the grip I'm used to.

I will order the caps as per updated info at post #1 for the "98 - 00" series.
I'll probably get a mate who is a computer guy to do the soldering.
I'm not totally sure where I'll find the ECU. I know I've changed the air conditioner filter down there before so I'll poke around and see what I find.

One question that I haven't seen raised yet that the more informed Lexus owners may have an answer to.

Are there any other mods that might be worth doing while I have the ECU out and an experienced solderer at my disposal.

Regards
Old 06-07-14, 08:36 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

You have to remove the glove box to get to the ECU and I don't believe there are any mods that go with the ECU fix.
Old 06-07-14, 10:21 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by bunnybob
-"Check engine" light comes on minutes after starting up.
-"VSC off" light comes on as well.
- The engine goes into "Limp Home" mode and I need to shift gears manually in order to get up hills, even fairly minor ones.
- The exhaust smells a bit strange.
- It runs fine for a while and things then go pear shaped. I used to get 10 minutes of normal operation. Now its more like two.
- Ive noticed that the "mode" readout sometimes changes from current usage to another mode.
- Ive noticed too that the brakes seem to lack the grip I'm used to.

Are there any other mods that might be worth doing while I have the ECU out and an experienced solderer at my disposal.

Regards
You need to read codes first. I assume that your O2 sensors might have an open heater problem or a limited voltage generation judging from your symptoms. I don't think you can fix all your problems only replacing those ECU capacitors, but it is a good preventive measure to replace those. But it is a good second step.

There are some mods or improvements such as a stable operation at the lower +B voltage, the gas-mileage improvement and others but I am still doing experiments and I dare not release those open yet. What I don't like is that there comes too many questions to my personal mail box when I write some. I seldom can respond those.

May be I can open this. The photo below shows a dis-colored resistor at a DC regulator. Compare the color between the one with a purple arrow at the upper part and the one at the lower part with an yellow arrow. The lower one is a 2.7 ohm resistor. This tends to increase the resistance resulting a poor engine behavior especially at a cold snowy night or a foggy summer night with almost every electrical equipment on. The voltage regulation becomes poorer at those times when the resistance is increased. You'd better to replace it if the resistance is bigger than +15%.
Attached Thumbnails All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)-the-resistor-which-has-increased-resistance.jpeg  
Old 06-08-14, 01:09 AM
kevvo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote: "I'm not totally sure where I'll find the ECU."

Hi Bunnybob.and welcome.

I've a 1999 R/H/D model and I wonder about the location of the ECU, too. I've got the American/Canadian repair manuals as the Australian manuals are no longer available. The L/H/D models have the main ECU on the right according to the L/H/D books I have and I 'suspect' that the R/H/D models have the ECU on the left.

I think that your brake issues might be non related to ECU issues. Someone more knowledgeable here can tell you for sure.
Old 06-08-14, 05:45 AM
bunnybob
Driver School Candidate

Hi Yamae,

Parden my ignorance, but I don't know what you mean by "read codes first".

If this has been covered in the thread previously, I'd like to know where. I'm happy to do the research but am not sure where to start.

Is there some form of self diagnostics. My car has been trouble free since I bought it so I'm new to this.

Mine is right hand drive, like Kevvos.

My guess is the brake issue is related to the VSC being off.
Old 06-08-14, 06:35 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

He means if the check engine light is on to read the codes through the diagnostic connector port.
Old 06-08-14, 06:36 AM
Yamae

The ECU has a capability to diagnose the car and tells the driver what is(are) wrong showing him/her the code(s) at the multi display located under the speedometer as long as it is working well. The detail is in the manual in case of a JDM. It must be found somewhere at this forum too but I don't remember where it is. Dealers have a scan tool and you can ask them to diagnose the car using it but they may charge you some money.

The ECU is located close to the blower unit where you put the cabin filter in. A JDM RHD Celsior has it 6-7cm away left from the blower unit. May be yours is located at the same place.
Old 06-08-14, 07:09 AM
Yamae

All are written in Japanese but you can see how the diagnosis can be done at the middle part of the page of below link. The Google translation might help you some. Access the page below and double click each photos and this will let you see bigger photos.
http://celsiorup.com/custom20/2099RadarCruise4.htm

I just pick up the related area and show you the screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)-diag-using-a-multi-information-display.jpg  

Last edited by Yamae; 06-08-14 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 02:33 AM
bunnybob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks fellas.
On with the reading glasses.
Old 06-09-14, 01:43 PM
340massive
Rookie

Cool ECU Pic LS400

Hi on replacing the cap on the 94 LS400 is there pic or diagram or location on board where the caps fail?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)