LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Garmin/Samsung replaces Magellan/Nokia

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 08:32 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Garmin/Samsung replaces Magellan/Nokia

I finally jettisoned my aging Magellan GPS and the Nokia phone kit I had in my first LS400 back in the late 90's and transferred to my 2000 LS400 when I bought it in 2003. My reasons for keeping the Nokia kit and it's ancient (2004) 6340i phone so long was it's handsfree feature, phone charging and that it automatically muted the car audio system. The Magellan was "adequate" at best.

The new Garmin is a 5" inch screen 2595LMT with lifetime maps and advertising-free traffic updates. Its traffic receiver is hidden inside the leather Kuda phone console on which the cradle from a "Samsung INFUSE Vehicle Navigation Mount" is attached . The Garmin is mounted on the same Pro.Fit Legend bracket on which the Magellan was mounted except that the Legend bracket's swivel mount was removed and replaced with a 17 mm Pro.Fit "Bravo Ball" to which the Garmin cradle attaches.

The Samsung Galaxy S III could have been used on it's own for navigation but that eats up data plan minutes and does not always work in rural areas like a dedicated GPS does. The INFUSE kit comes with a windshield mount that can also be attached to an included adhesive disk attached to the dash.

Although the Samsung INFUSE was designed for a prior Samsung phone, it works perfectly with the new Galaxy S III - it's only $17.50 including shipping from AT&T. (The INFUSE is made by German maker Herbert Richter.) The INFUSE cradle charges the phone through a USB cable which I attached to a "Bell Power Source" I purchased at a Target store. Besides a USB port, the Bell Power Source has two standard cigarette lighter ports one of which is used to power the Garmin GPS. The cables are hidden in the phone console, behind the ashtray and behind the carpet on the transmission tunnel.

The SAMSUNG INFUSE cradle also has a standard audio out jack. If I would do Puredrifter's CD hack or have eBay vendor Factory Radios install an RCA jack on my Nakamichi, I could be streaming music from the Samsung phone's memory or Pandora. Edit: I've since had Factory Radio Service add an aux-in to my Nakamichi: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...000-ls400.html

While I no longer have the automatic radio mute, the Garmin/Samsung combination has other advantages. The Garmin's Bluetooth works perfectly with the Samsung phone. The phone's address book transfers quickly to the Garmin and making calls through the Garmin by touching its screen or using voice commands is easy. I was concerned that I might not hear an incoming call since there is no automatic radio mute but the Garmin "rings" VERY loudly when a call comes in.

Nope, I didn't take photos while doing all this. There are plenty of previous threads on how to disassemble the center stack and console. For me, this install was super easy since I've ripped car interiors apart so many times. And finally -- using those instructions from Billy Powell, this was the first time I removed the center air vents without the vents falling apart into a zillion pieces. Inserting a tiny screw driver into the vent on either side to release the clips allows the center vent to slide out effortlessly in one piece.

Here are photos of the "old" Magellan/Nokia and the "new" Garmin/Samsung. It's nice to finally be able to leave my phone in my pocket and be able to receive and make phone calls in both my old 00 LS400 and my wife's Prius v Five wagon.
Attached Thumbnails Garmin/Samsung replaces Magellan/Nokia-magellan-and-nokia-640x480.jpg   Garmin/Samsung replaces Magellan/Nokia-garmin-and-samsung-front-view-640x480.jpg   Garmin/Samsung replaces Magellan/Nokia-garmin-and-samsung-front-view-empty-phone-cradle-640x480.jpg   Garmin/Samsung replaces Magellan/Nokia-garmin-and-samsung-side-view-640x480.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 02-26-13 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 06:32 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats awesome
Old 04-23-14, 06:04 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kansas - could you give me some tips on installing the Kuda mount? I bought one but am unsure how to install it, and the included instructions are essentially: "install it".

Do I just jam that metal bracket in between the head unit and console trim, or am I supposed to remove the head unit to attach the Kuda? And the screw at the bottom - surely they don't expect it to be drilled into the plastic console trim, do they? Is it just supposed to slip under the edge of the console trim maybe?
Old 04-24-14, 06:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

The Kuda console must overlap and ride on the upholstered console "rail" and must be firmly pressed against the wood console panel while you attach it to the trim panel with the provided self tapping screw. You might want a helper to firmly press the Kuda against the wood panel while you screw the bottom of the Kuda to the trim just above the carpet on the transmission tunnel. The older Kuda mounts required drilling or screwing self tapping screws into the car's trim. The newer Kuda consoles like the one I bought recently for my new Sienna van do not require drilling or damaging trim.

Be sure that the Kuda does not interfere with the opening of the glove compartment - it will be close!

I had to remove my Kuda many times of the years for various projects and eventually broke the plastic reinforcement behind the trim where the Kuda's self tapping screw goes in.. I had to abandon using the self tapping screw to hold the Kuda in place and had to use a bolt and nut. I also had to use a metal plate with holes in it hidden behind the console trim to stiffen the broken plastic reinforcement ... i.e. I inserted the small screw bolt through the Kuda, through the console trim and then through the metal plate and then attached a nut to the small bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Garmin/Samsung replaces Magellan/Nokia-kuda-view-from-driver-seat.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 04-24-14 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 06:26 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Sorry, my brain didn't recognize "metal bracket". Yes, you must jam the metal "blade" on the Kuda mount between the radio head unit and the upholstered center stack frame. The upholstered part of the Kuda may not fit completely flush against the console wood and the radio headunit but it should be very close. It's important to get it lined up (and ensure that the glove box and CD changer door clears) before driving the self tapping screw. Having a helper firmly press the Kuda against the wood panel and head unit makes it easier to drive the screw.