LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Potential LS(95) buyer, anti-theft quest, searched

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 01:08 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Potential LS(95) buyer, anti-theft quest, searched

Greetings everyone, I'd like to start by saying I'm a former Toyota mechanic and have a little familiarity with the Lexus line, however I was not sure what sort of anti-theft system the earlier models have. It was the later model LS400's with VVT-I have the transponder I believe? I'm assuming the 94+ models have some sort of anti-theft that is more than just the steering/wheel lock and radio code...but I don't know

I am looking at buying a 95 LS400, for some reason the seller says it has the front of a 99. From the pictures I have seen it appears to be sitting at a mechanics shop.

I would like to apologize also for the lack of info...but this is literally all the guy listed...

"This car dose not run !!!!!!!!!
Due to the antitheft system!!!

It is a 95 ls400

But it has a 99 model front end"

That's all they say, I have emailed them and asked if the car turns over or just spins without firing. I have also asked why it has a "99 front" and if it's simply cosmetic or does it ACTUALLY have the front from a 99. That was yesterday so I'm giving them another day before I try again or move on.

I would love to get this car and find out it's a simple fix (car is in good condition otherwise) but as I am not clear what ant-theft system I MIGHT be dealing with, I have no way to judge if it's something I can fix cheaply and easily.

The car is dirt cheap so this will most likely be a no go but I wanted to get the take of the community here. If it were the later model I would know more what to look for, and I am going to assume the problem IS the anti-theft system...but not knowing if it spins or not...and not even knowing if it is the 99 or 95 ecu that is hooked up...and I'm not sure how the earlier models anti-theft systems(if equipped even) "act"

I wouldn't dream of asking for a diagnosis as I don't know anything but what is listed. I'm more so curious as to how much of a pain it would be to fix this (IF someone has a lightbulb moment). I know on the later models it's a nightmare and could require a new ecu, but I'm not so sure about this one. I'm hoping it's something I could fix, if I have to spend a little cash and get my hand dirty I'm used to it. But if it's more likely a $400+ in parts alone kind of fix then it'll be a no go. I do my own work on all my cars and I'm fairly good with re-wiring...but I always know what I'm getting into FIRST...so I'm here to see if I can fix this I'm hoping it is just a sort of fix that is more labor than it is parts so the mechanic is cutting his losses and selling it...but could just be some dudes back yard with a bunch of cars and tools laying around lol

Any thoughts? Again I really do apologize for not knowing more before asking.
Old 07-21-12, 03:07 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if its a '95 engine/ecu (the ecus are NOT interchangeable at all...) then no, it doesnt have a transponder setup, that started in '97.

this sounds like a bleeding nightmare, honestly. unless you get a clean title car with a great body and no accidents for <$1000, i wouldnt touch it.

edit: if it's this car http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3103774626.html it's been posted before, general consensus is to run, not walk, far, far away. needs a complete respray from the looks of things in addition to whatever else. unless you have an idea that makes it worth the money it's going to get parted out.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 07-21-12 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-21-12, 03:21 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a nightmare. PD is right. Not worth your time.
Old 07-21-12, 10:23 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Another vote to keep far away from it.
Old 07-21-12, 11:40 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I love what the sellor says in his Craigslist ad:

"This car dose not run !!!!!!!!!"
"Again this car dose not run so please dont ask ..."
"Please people no low ballers!!"

He'll probably sell it someday. Every village has its idiot
Old 07-21-12, 02:13 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I love what the sellor says in his Craigslist ad:

"This car dose not run !!!!!!!!!"
"Again this car dose not run so please dont ask ..."
"Please people no low ballers!!"

He'll probably sell it someday. Every village has its idiot
i'm just gonna email him and ask him if it runs...
Old 07-22-12, 01:15 AM
NetG
Driver

Damn...glad I asked! Didn't realize it was a "known" car lol.

I knew the 2003 IS300 I found being sold for dirt cheap was a scam (the car suddenly is three states away when I said I wanted to see it, and google checkout was another big flag )

But yeah that's the car...that actually makes me a little more curious though, paint is not biggy, I intend to repaint anyway (nothing fancy just a decent same color job).

If they used the 99 ecu...could be the problem. I've done engine swaps and aided my buddy put an sc400 1uz into his (now mine) 84 celica/supra...(well I didn't help much, just a fender lizard really). Electrical problems, for me, are only difficult when it requires the changing of ecu's, and that's only because body ecu's aren't cheap, neither are engine ecu's...but tracking/fixing electrical problems is a passion of mine...I always make the (female dog)iest jobs my favs...still hate em

Well I have some leads on some older LS400's that ONLY need a paint job. I doubt that guy will give me any more info than what he listed...but hey...seems he's been trying to sell it for a while...might get him to come down enough to make it worth it even if I have to scrap the car...which if the engine is new, my 94 1UZ was about $600-$700...well it did run though HA HA.

Either way...I think I'll pass.

THANK YOU CLUB LEXUS!!!!
Old 07-22-12, 03:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just to clarify, unless he did some unspeakable, frankenstein-esque things to that harness, the '99 ECU wouldn't even plug in....
Old 07-23-12, 03:03 AM
NetG
Driver

That's actually kind of what I'm worried about. I sent him a txt and he said he replied to my email but I got nothing. Really though...if that IS the problem...ok ok...I already said no and I need a car running now not in 5 months when I find out a single wire was spliced wrong or something...those are annoying...and that's the easy stuff LOL

Thanks again