LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 Lexus LS400 205k. Worth looking at closely?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 10:59 AM
OU303
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Lexus LS400 205k. Worth looking at closely?

I've searched around this forum a lot recently and haven't seen anything about someone BUYING an LS400 with this many miles at the time of purchase. Would you guys consider this for $4,000? The ad claims the car is in "mint" and "no problems runs great." I contacted him and he emailed me back. He said it has been dealer serviced. He also says he can provide all service records. He said he has some and is willing to get the complete records history from the dealership. If everything checks out and the car needs nothing what do you guys think?

I have been specifically trying to stay at as low of miles as possible for my budget. Trying to stay below $7k out the door so budget dictates not being able to afford the premium price for the ones with around 100k and less but I had been trying to stay around 120k or 140k. It just gives me pause to think about buying a $4000 car with 205k miles. If it checks out 100%, though, this could be the best combo of price and quality if he can produce all records and the car checks out with my mechanic.

The guy is out of town for the 4th but comes back the 5th. He said he can show it on the 5th. Without knowing for sure I strongly get the impression that this is an older gentleman. He is the original owner. There are limited records on Carfax, some indicating dealer service, so at least supporting he did some things at the dealer.

Assuming it really is mint how likely is it that this car is going to have a catastrophic mechanical failure of like $1000+ just based on such high mileage? What do you guys think in general?

Last edited by OU303; 07-03-12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-03-12, 11:43 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No 18-year old car with 205K miles is in mint condition. It is not worth of 4K.
Old 07-03-12, 11:54 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

these cars, if serviced run well over the 200k and beyond. at this point there should have been 2 timing belt changes in the records. that's one of the main concerns. but of course usually wear and tear is a factor. are they highway miles (hard to prove)? was the car driven during colorado winters? etc.

in my opinion, keep looking. you can def find a lower mileage LS on your budget so remain patient.
Old 07-03-12, 12:37 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

4k is alot for 200k+.
Consider that I got a 90 with 120k for 2500$. And I feel I paid a little too much.
Old 07-03-12, 12:41 PM
OU303
Rookie

Originally Posted by dashan
No 18-year old car with 205K miles is in mint condition. It is not worth of 4K.
Maybe not mint but it could be in very good if this guy really did everything by the book every time.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
these cars, if serviced run well over the 200k and beyond. at this point there should have been 2 timing belt changes in the records. that's one of the main concerns. but of course usually wear and tear is a factor. are they highway miles (hard to prove)? was the car driven during colorado winters? etc.

in my opinion, keep looking. you can def find a lower mileage LS on your budget so remain patient.
I already had this in mind to ask (when he gets back) about the timing belts.

I just asked a little bit ago how the miles were put on. Awaiting response.

I asked if it was driven in the winter but I think that with the amount of miles on it logic dictates it was an everyday driver year round.

I have another one where the guy is also out of town on business until the 10th. We planned to talk on the 9th to arrange to meet up mid-point on the 10th. He has also agreed to take the car to my mechanic, which is about an hour away from him (but everything is). That one is a 2000 with 142,000 miles. Not exactly low miles but I can get into that one for about $7k and it's a 2000! Also, because I plan on it being the family errand car it will not be a daily driver and will probably only get 5k/year once I get a hold of it. He said it has been dealer maintained for the life of the vehicle and he has all records. He said that this is the 4th LS400 he has owned. Sounds like maybe he buys one, drives it for a few years, and buys another one. I am out of VIN searches on my Carfax (shoulda paid more attention to the fine print before subscribing) so I just emailed him and asked him for the plates if it has plates.

What do you think about this one? It's not high mileage in the sense of what the average mileage driven is generally. Comes out to right about 12k a year if you factor 12 years. Higher per year than I would like but he has it priced $2,200 below the KBB at $7300. I have to assume this one has been driven in the winter, too. Short of COMPLETELY lucking out or finding a decent one at auction somehow, I am not sure if I will have another chance to get into a 2000 within my budget based on my exhaustive searches the past two weeks.

I can decide for myself pretty clearly on most of the ones I have come across but some of these higher mileage ones I just don't have a good feel for.

P.S. Found a 1996 LS 400 outside Chicago for $7,700 with 75,000 miles if anyone is interested in that one. Just too much for my budget with travel included.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/3107941713.html
Old 07-03-12, 12:55 PM
LSTex
Driver School Candidate

If it's in good shape, 4k isn't bad in my book. I paid 5k for my 96 about 4 years ago and am pretty happy with it. It had over 180k on it at the time and almost 209k now. It's a fun ride and still squeels the tires when passing if I get on it.

I say go for it.
Old 07-03-12, 01:14 PM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my advice is spend a little more and get the best condition LS you can find because parts are expensive and all the little things add it fast.
Old 07-03-12, 01:41 PM
OU303
Rookie

Originally Posted by LSTex
If it's in good shape, 4k isn't bad in my book. I paid 5k for my 96 about 4 years ago and am pretty happy with it. It had over 180k on it at the time and almost 209k now. It's a fun ride and still squeels the tires when passing if I get on it.

I say go for it.
I wouldn't be surprised if I can get him down to $3500. I really want to stick to the newer Gen2 body style but am trying to get the bang for my buck. Plus in all actuality I could put a good used motor with under 100k in it for like $1k down the road if need be. I have a few connections. Transmission is more of a concern obviously but I don't know if I have ever read about the transmission failing on these on anyone who has done any kind of maintenance.

What is really causing me trouble is there are very few of these within even 500 miles. I don't think this is a dry time, either. I think this is going to be a trend. There just aren't too many full size RWD cars around these parts. People around here want AWD Subaru cars or SUVs. For that reason I might be able to strike a good deal if I get lucky but at the same time I think slim-pickings is gonna be the long term problem.

Last edited by OU303; 07-03-12 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 01:45 PM
acidfire52
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 280K on my 97 now. The suspension had to be completely replaced as it was all worn out, not a cheap undertaking at all. The upper control arms are scary expensive. The rest of the car is in great shape. Engine and tranny run like butter.
Now, I would agree $4000 is a bit too much for that many miles. I would show him $3000 in cash and see what he says.
Old 07-03-12, 01:59 PM
OU303
Rookie

Originally Posted by acidfire52
I have 280K on my 97 now. The suspension had to be completely replaced as it was all worn out, not a cheap undertaking at all. The upper control arms are scary expensive. The rest of the car is in great shape. Engine and tranny run like butter.
Now, I would agree $4000 is a bit too much for that many miles. I would show him $3000 in cash and see what he says.
Fellow Coloradan I see At what mileage did you have to re-do the entire suspension?

I have seen about the upper control arms through my research (mostly this sit!ha) of common failures with these cars. I also found a place that rebuilds the rack&pinions with a lifetime warranty
Old 07-03-12, 02:02 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If he is the original owner, you may be in a good spot as far as maintenance. Much depends on the service history. If all this has been done on schedule, you will have a car that is better cared for than the many out there. That is worth some peace of mind, how much depends on you.

You can get a pretty good idea of the interior, a clean interior indicates somebody who wasn't a slob at least. These OCD types would indicate a similar mentality with maintenance. A person who isn't forthcoming with service or says, "I don't know" is a red flag. A willingness to provide documentation is

Check it out and see how you feel.

A bit skeptical of the one in Palentine. Seems like a younger owner with the clear corners and no front plate. Might be great, you would have to see for yourself.
Old 07-03-12, 02:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

even in mint condition the price is high for a car with that mileage.

unless it's museum quality with a literal STACK of maint. receipts, i would walk away.
Old 07-03-12, 03:59 PM
Kevin85
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paid $1500 for a 91 with 104k with a stack of maintenance records.
keep checking craiglist for a better deal then that.
Old 07-03-12, 06:37 PM
OU303
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kevin85
paid $1500 for a 91 with 104k with a stack of maintenance records.
keep checking craiglist for a better deal then that.
Well the problem is that even though the miles per year are higher, the newer car you get into the higher the value, even with the same miles.

Originally Posted by RA40
If he is the original owner, you may be in a good spot as far as maintenance. Much depends on the service history. If all this has been done on schedule, you will have a car that is better cared for than the many out there. That is worth some peace of mind, how much depends on you.

You can get a pretty good idea of the interior, a clean interior indicates somebody who wasn't a slob at least. These OCD types would indicate a similar mentality with maintenance. A person who isn't forthcoming with service or says, "I don't know" is a red flag. A willingness to provide documentation is

Check it out and see how you feel.

A bit skeptical of the one in Palentine. Seems like a younger owner with the clear corners and no front plate. Might be great, you would have to see for yourself.

Exactly what I was thinking. As long as it had the 2nd timing belt done at 180k and everything else checks out with my mechanic, I am going to consider it IF he does have all maintenance records for the history. Any major gaps and I am not going to give the car another thought.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
even in mint condition the price is high for a car with that mileage.

unless it's museum quality with a literal STACK of maint. receipts, i would walk away.
It's not going to be museum quality I don't think but it does look unusually clean for a '95 from the photos. Gotta see it in person and up close to know for sure, of course.

It is TBD but I am fully expecting a stack of maintenance records. If it doesn't have them, I am walking away without looking back.

What do you guys think of a 2000 LS400 with 142k with all maintenance records for $7,300? $2k below book. He said it has a few "very small" dents and dings but has all records of all maintenance done on time at dealer and interior is "immaculate." He also has an extended warranty that he thinks is transferable. I gotta wait until the 10th when he gets back in town but I think he's legit with his representation. As I said above, he said this is his 4th LS400 and he takes care of his cars.

Last edited by OU303; 07-03-12 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 07:47 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by OU303
What do you guys think of a 2000 LS400 with 142k with all maintenance records for $7,300? $2k below book. He said it has a few "very small" dents and dings but has all records of all maintenance done on time at dealer and interior is "immaculate." He also has an extended warranty that he thinks is transferable. I gotta wait until the 10th when he gets back in town but I think he's legit with his representation. As I said above, he said this is his 4th LS400 and he takes care of his cars.
I know I already said this to you, but I'd wait and go for the 2000. I was excited to get my first lexus, and bought one too soon, which I ended up selling after a couple of months because I found the one i REALLY wanted. Wasted some money in the process too, which I wouldn't have if I had waited. Its only 7 days wait man! Go for the 2000!

Quick Reply: 1995 Lexus LS400 205k. Worth looking at closely?