LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Post up your Rear muffler set-up!!! In need of inspiration!!

Old 06-28-12, 01:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

that's a possible scenario for replacing everything, not an example of stock.
Old 06-28-12, 07:58 PM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, most any straight thru muffler or resonator will do little to dampen sound, but will reduce some raspiness. To dampen sound you'll need a muffler with some bends (offset inlets and outlets) inside or internal baffles.
Old 06-28-12, 08:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Dirtybrd
FYI, most any straight thru muffler or resonator will do little to dampen sound, but will reduce some raspiness. To dampen sound you'll need a muffler with some bends (offset inlets and outlets) inside or internal baffles.
this isn't true at ALL. please check your information rather than post misinformation. Straight through mufflers, when properly designed, can give more than adequate sound levels.

if you have some reputable source to back that up other than hearsay please feel free to share.
Old 06-30-12, 01:43 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would removing the cats make it sound any beefier? i just have my mufflers cut off for now but i want it to rumble and not sound like a v6 lol
Old 07-01-12, 12:56 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

not really, stock cats flow pretty good.

removing the 3 resonators and 2 mufflers and replacing them with an x/h pipe and a quality pair of mufflers (straight through for me please...) will get you the v8 sound you crave.
Old 07-01-12, 01:11 PM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
this isn't true at ALL. please check your information rather than post misinformation. Straight through mufflers, when properly designed, can give more than adequate sound levels.

if you have some reputable source to back that up other than hearsay please feel free to share.
How about personal experience. I can appreciate that you're a MOD, but there may be someone out in the world that might know a thing or to also. On my Audi A4 I did a full stainless exhaust with single Magnaflow round mufflers and 2 stainless resonators, all of this was after a large turbo which tend to act a little like a muffler also. I had to add two more offset inlet/outlet mufflers to make it quiet enough to where I felt comfortable letting my then 3yo daughter ride in the car. Like I said before, just cause I'm new here doesn't mean I'm new by any means. I've owned, built, and modded over 20-25 cars in my life not counting the ones I haven't owned.
Old 07-01-12, 04:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Dirtybrd
How about personal experience. I can appreciate that you're a MOD, but there may be someone out in the world that might know a thing or to also. On my Audi A4 I did a full stainless exhaust with single Magnaflow round mufflers and 2 stainless resonators, all of this was after a large turbo which tend to act a little like a muffler also. I had to add two more offset inlet/outlet mufflers to make it quiet enough to where I felt comfortable letting my then 3yo daughter ride in the car. Like I said before, just cause I'm new here doesn't mean I'm new by any means. I've owned, built, and modded over 20-25 cars in my life not counting the ones I haven't owned.
so by going from 2 large OEM-made bafflered mufflers to a single (most likely smaller, on an A4) straight through muffler with two resonators (why 2 on a 1.8t btw? resonators dont decrease exhaust VOLUME as much as they change the pitch of the exhaust...) you've come to the conclusion that straight through mufflers arent as effective as baffled/chambered mufflers at sound deadening?

really?

common sense dictates that in terms of sound level: car with more mufflers < car with fewer mufflers, regardless of type.

the only way your example would be valid is if you set up a straight through exhaust in the same basic configuration as your previous/factory exhaust and compared the sound. going from 2-3 mufflers to 1 then blaming the muffler design for it being to loud is rather pointless.

I was looking for a copy of an article GRM did a while back, comparing a ton of different mufflers for backpressure, power, and sound. Doesnt seem to be available publicly so this should hold you over for now.
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...st-system.aspx
Old 07-01-12, 06:44 PM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

The 1.8t is a single into a dual muffler system. I had the system built as a single into dual as soon as the downpipe bent under the car. The round Magnaflows I ran where 18-20" long if I recall correctly and the after it was too loud, then I added the offset mufflers on each side at the end of the system. Also, I said straight thru mufflers would not do much for reducing sound levels, when I said that I was referring to a muffler you can basically see through the inlet/outlets, not a chambered or baffled muffler. I think that may be where our confusion with each other may be. Yes a baffled or chambered muffler with center inlet/outlet will reduce sound quite good.
Old 07-01-12, 08:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

please reread my initial statement. I am stating that a properly set up straight through muffler based system will give more than adequate sound levels and better performance than a chambered/baffled muffler.

you realize they make straight through mufflers with offset inlets/outlets right?
Old 07-02-12, 06:57 AM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

please reread my initial statement. I am stating that a properly set up straight through muffler based system will give more than adequate sound levels and better performance than a chambered/baffled muffler.

you realize they make straight through mufflers with offset inlets/outlets right?
Yes I do, it's pointless to continue back and forth. We both have out thoughts and valid points.
Old 07-03-12, 05:21 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

what about droning? im thinking of doing a cat back,ive heard magnaflows are cheap and will have the droning effect. im looking for a slight rumble without any droning
Old 07-03-12, 05:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the resonators will decrease droning and raspiness.

so an x-pipe, 2 resonators, and 2 (longer the quieter) straight through mufflers will get you the sound you seem to desire with minimal performance loss.
Old 07-03-12, 06:16 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

performance loss? i thought u would gain not lose. i was also under the impression that a chambered muffler was quiet and a straight through muffler was noisey.
Old 07-03-12, 07:27 AM
Dirtybrd
Rookie

Drone will be an issue with almost any dual exhaust, how much drone is the the question. Pure Drifter is right, and I think he means from the gains you'll get with the exhaust the mufflers will cause only minimal loss

Last edited by PureDrifter; 07-03-12 at 02:53 PM. Reason: corrected as per 2nd post.
Old 07-04-12, 08:02 AM
jrm7885
Pole Position

I removed the middle resonators, which are more like mufflers when I cut into them. Then I replaced it with 2.25 inch pipping. Then I cut the oem mufflers off and replaced them with oem style magnaflows and cut the factory tips and hangers off the old mufflers and welded them up. The car has a nice deep sound when at idle, and a great sound when driving. It also is not annoying on the highway, in fact it almost sounds stock unless you put your foot into it. I did not want the car to sound like a mustang, just my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post up your Rear muffler set-up!!! In need of inspiration!!