LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

GS430 owner getting ready to dabble in LS400-land

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 12:54 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GS430 owner getting ready to dabble in LS400-land

Hi all,

I've been a VERY happy GS430 owner for the last two years, and am debating purchasing a car that a friend of mine owns. It's a 1997 LS400 with 36,000 original miles. Yes. 36,000 original miles.

I have a couple of concerns that I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can assist with. The first concern is that the head unit (I believe it is the Nakamichi flavor) is not working correctly according to my friend. I'm a stickler for originality, and would prefer to keep this unit. Is there a way to get it refurbished? Or am I destined to replace it with something from the aftermarket?

My second concern is the mileage. This car has obviously been driven very lightly, though it's never had long periods of inactivity. I know the original owner -- this was his wife's car, and she didn't go far -- and the maintenance has been performed at the dealership. However, sometimes it's not about the mileage, but about the years. Is there anything I should be concerned about with having such few miles on a car 15 years old? Essentially, the car is 100% original, though it does have a new set of tires (and I believe the brakes have been recently done).

Any and all advice is appreciated in advance!
Old 06-14-12, 01:08 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mileage has been performed by the dealer so write down the VIN and head over to Nexus web site. You can view the service history. Compare your finds to any relevant information in the stickies and go from there. You may even find an answer to the head unit problem. I feel you on keeping it original, but if you head over to the audio thread you'll find some great examples of going aftermarket and staying classy.
Old 06-14-12, 01:51 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You should be able to find a working head unit online for around $150.00 or less. Even buying one for parts will be a lot cheaper then going aftermarket. But who knows how long it will last. 14 years for a head unit is not a bad lifespan.

I would look at fluid changes all the way around. Also, wear on rubber belts, mounts, etc. Timing belts are also time sensitive. Has it had one? Due to the age it should have a full 90,000 miles maintenance.
Old 06-14-12, 02:26 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Spend the same amount of the funds and buy a 98+ LS400.
Old 06-14-12, 05:29 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

that's a low low mileage car! i would start with the belts, inspecting the serpentine first. if it's in decent shape you can wait a bit for the timing belt. as Lav said it is time sensitive but i don't see it as being a problem unless you live in humid tropical climate (not sure if NC is like that). a fluid replacement wouldn't hurt, but do a simple drain and fill. if the car sat in the garage for the majority of its life i wouldn't worry.
Old 06-14-12, 06:05 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikes7ke
The mileage has been performed by the dealer so write down the VIN and head over to Nexus web site. You can view the service history. Compare your finds to any relevant information in the stickies and go from there. You may even find an answer to the head unit problem. I feel you on keeping it original, but if you head over to the audio thread you'll find some great examples of going aftermarket and staying classy.
Will do -- I'm planning on running the VIN to see just what exactly has been done, and I'll take a read through the stickies. There are some really good upgrades out there in audio, but I do like the stock look.

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You should be able to find a working head unit online for around $150.00 or less. Even buying one for parts will be a lot cheaper then going aftermarket. But who knows how long it will last. 14 years for a head unit is not a bad lifespan.

I would look at fluid changes all the way around. Also, wear on rubber belts, mounts, etc. Timing belts are also time sensitive. Has it had one? Due to the age it should have a full 90,000 miles maintenance.
I'll check online for a head unit. You're right -- $150 is a lot cheaper than an aftermarket upgrade. I think I will do the fluid changes all the way around, as they are relatively inexpensive. I"m assuming the timing belt has not been done as of yet, but I won't know for sure until I run the VIN.

Originally Posted by dashan
Spend the same amount of the funds and buy a 98+ LS400.
Is there that big of an upgrade between '97 and '98? I thought the body styles stayed basically the same until the 430 rolled out. Unfortunately, the budget (and the two kids in college) is probably not there for a year newer with the same mileage.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
that's a low low mileage car! i would start with the belts, inspecting the serpentine first. if it's in decent shape you can wait a bit for the timing belt. as Lav said it is time sensitive but i don't see it as being a problem unless you live in humid tropical climate (not sure if NC is like that). a fluid replacement wouldn't hurt, but do a simple drain and fill. if the car sat in the garage for the majority of its life i wouldn't worry.
NC is pretty humid in the summer (I'm near Raleigh), but the car is from FL, and it's REAL humid down there. I will definitely check the serpentine belt first. The car was garaged from when it was new to last year, and starting last year, it was in a carport.
Old 06-14-12, 06:16 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its a solid bet that youll have FAR less to worry about with a cream puff LS than you would with any other vehicle. I would buy that car in a NY second if the price was right.

What is the asking price.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-14-12, 06:55 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1

Is there that big of an upgrade between '97 and '98? I thought the body styles stayed basically the same until the 430 rolled out. Unfortunately, the budget (and the two kids in college) is probably not there for a year newer with the same mileage.
From Lexls.com:

- The LS400 Series IV debuts with many improvements.
- Redesigned front end. Changes to the hood, fenders, grille, front bumper, and front lights.
- Discharge headlight became standard equipment on Canadian models and optional equipment for US models.
- Slightly refined rear lights.
- Outer rearview mirror was changed to reduce wind noise.
- Wheels were redesigned and now have 5 spokes.
- A retractable headrest was added to the rear center seat.
- Another rear personal light was added to the rear quarter pillar area.
- A leather & wood steering wheel and wood shifter were introduced as optional equipment.
- VVT-i (variable valve timing-intelligent) system and the ACIS (acoustic control induction system) was adopted in the 1UZ-FE engine to improve fuel economy, improve performance, and reduce emissions. ETCS-i (electronic throttle control system) was also added to ensure excellent controllability of the vehicle and improve its comfort. Worlds first production V8 engine with VVT-i.
- 290 hp @ 6000 rpm and 300 ft-lbs of torque @ 4000 rpm.
- The 4-speed automatic transmission was replaced by a 5-speed transmission.
- Propeller shaft was slightly changed.
- The differential gear ratio was reduced to improve fuel economy. 2 mounts were used on both the front and rear of the differential to further reduce vibration and noise.
- The VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) system was added.
- Suspension and brakes slightly revised.
- The hydraulic circuit of the power steering system changed.
- More work on the body and sound dampening material to further reduce vibration and noise.
- An automatic headlight beam level control system was added to models with HID headlights.
- A headlight off delay system was added to keep the headlights on for a set period of time after occupants exit the car.
- A multi-information display was added to the instrument cluster to display vehicle data and warnings. The design of the shift indicator was changed.
- An automatic recirculation system was added to automatically switch the air inlet mode in accordance with the level of concentration of harmful elements in the air.
- An all-door one-touch auto up and down function was added.
- A jam protection function was added to prevent a person's hand or other object from becoming caught in the door window.
- A function to operate all windows was added to the door lock remote control.
- Changes were made to the engine immobiliser system. The starter cutoff function was discontinued. The theft deterrent system was slightly changed.
- The construction and operation of the inflator for the front passenger air bag was changed.
- A garage door opener was added to the map lamp area.
- A seat belt warning for the front passenger was added. The display method for the seat belt warning system changed from the illumination type to the flashing type.
- A navigation system was offered for the first time as an option.
- Some changes to the audio system. A diversity rear window imprinted antenna system started to be used.
- Top speed = 149 mph; 0-60 = 6.3 seconds; 0-400m = 14.9 seconds.
Old 06-14-12, 07:40 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by parkerjs
I think its a solid bet that youll have FAR less to worry about with a cream puff LS than you would with any other vehicle. I would buy that car in a NY second if the price was right.

What is the asking price.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
About the asking price.....

Well, we really haven't worked out an asking price, if there even is one. The friend that I'm buying this from is an occasional business partner of mine. There's always a lot of back and forth between us, but recently, it's all been pretty one-sided, with me getting him into several opportunities this year alone that he couldn't have managed on his own. He realizes that at this point, he owes me one....haha. In all honesty, I expect to 'buy' this car for the price of my labor in detailing his CTS-V, simply because he'll feel he has to get something in return!
Old 06-14-12, 07:44 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

@Mugen -- thank you for that list. Yep, there is definitely a few differences there. In this situation, I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and stick with this car. My '03 GS has every option available, and some of them (especially the auto-leveling HID's) are pretty slick.

Did you really pull this info from Lexis.com, as in the LexisNexis site? Or did you mean to type Lexus.com?
Old 06-14-12, 08:09 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

With an asking price in that neighborhood... let me be the first to welcome you to LS-Land !
Old 06-14-12, 09:58 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by parkerjs
With an asking price in that neighborhood... let me be the first to welcome you to LS-Land !

Thank you very much! I think I've only gotten two deals like this in my life, and the first one was a 1970 442 hardtop that I bought for $50 wayyyyyyy back in the very early 80's! I guess I was about due again, right?
Old 06-14-12, 10:20 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1

Did you really pull this info from Lexis.com, as in the LexisNexis site? Or did you mean to type Lexus.com?
Haha, no no, http://www.lexls.com

WEALTH of information there, especially on the '89-94 models.
Old 06-14-12, 11:29 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
Haha, no no, http://www.lexls.com

WEALTH of information there, especially on the '89-94 models.
LOL....I hate when I confuse an l for an i. Excellent link! I have added it to my favorites, and can tell I will be spending quite a bit of time there.
Old 06-14-12, 11:37 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thats an awesome find...

Quick Reply: GS430 owner getting ready to dabble in LS400-land