LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP! Dealer wants 65 for new key and trunk stuck closed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-02, 11:02 PM
eee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP! Dealer wants 65 for new key and trunk stuck closed...

Here's my dilemma; first, I lost my master key about a week ago. I'm sure it will turn up eventually Second, about a month ago my trunk somehow got stuck shut. I tried EVERYTHING i could think of to unstick it. It's not vallet lockout button in the front by the gas lever, when i pull the auto release i can hear the mechanism in the trunk itself activating. I tried the master key, when i still had it, in the trunk lock almost turning it so hard it broke. Still, nothing. Locked tighter than a safe. I can only conclude that either there is something stuck in the trunk latch not allowing it to release or the mechanism is broke somehow.

Here's the kicker- the dealer says there is nothing they can do until i buy a new master key, for $65. I know that once I buy the key they will try to turn it in the lock and find out the same thing I tried to explain to them, it won't open like that. Then they will probably drill and replace the lock thus requiring me to buy not only a new lock but also....yes....another new key.

I pulled the back seat out only to find a big a** gas tank which seals the trunk off tighter than a drum. There is absolutely no access through the rear-lights, license plate, etc. I am totaly confused and dont know what to do and I can't afford $500 to have someone open my trunk for me. I would think that a car company would devise some kind of hidden safety release, nope. If anyone can add or recommend ANYTHING, your opinions will be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-02, 12:34 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've seen this happen to another LS

Your situation reminded me that I have seen the same thing happened to another 1st Generation LS in the Lexus service area a year ago. I remember it took the master mechanics long time to open the trunk ( I was waiting for my car). I wonder this is a common problem with the 1st gen. LS
Old 11-08-02, 12:54 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just found a guy who can open anything in my town and he opened up my trunk. Now the same guy made me a set of 2 master keys for $70. I just had to give him the number. Find such guy in our town and you are good to go.
Old 11-08-02, 03:06 AM
jslionheart1
Rookie

Default buy the dealer's key

In my 1st generation LS I locked my keys in the trunk (girlfriend actually did it) and had the trunk lock activated. In my case, the dealer cut me a new key for around $60 and I could open the trunk.

In your case, however, I would suggest buying the key from the dealer. Even though this will probably not work, as you have described, it may intrigue the mechanics enough to find a solution to the problem -- short of replacing the lock. You might get an expert mechanic that can do it right away or you may want to find a locksmith who specializes in opening trunks.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-02, 04:34 PM
Carnaught
Driver School Candidate

Default to rplace key,

try on eBay to buy one at a reduced cost!
Old 11-12-02, 11:50 PM
theomms
Driver

Default lock picker

I also have a girlfriend and so of course my keys also found their way into the closed trunk.

I called a locksmith who came out to where i was at in about 30 min and then he picked the lock in about ten minutes. I got my keys and a birthday cake that was in there out, and the whole thing cost $45 bucks.

I am sure that there is someone like that where you live.
Old 11-12-02, 11:56 PM
theomms
Driver

Default lock picker

I also have a girlfriend and so of course my keys also found their way into the closed trunk.

I called a locksmith who came out to where i was at in about 30 min and then he picked the lock in about ten minutes. I got my keys and a birthday cake that was in there out, and the whole thing cost $45 bucks.

I am sure that there is someone like that where you live.
Old 11-08-07, 10:47 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Old thread but new story.

Was driving my Fathers 90 LS to get some work done on it & also had to make a FedEx delivery. Pops keeps his LS 400 key bare (no key ring) & loves to have his trunk lock on since he is convinced some teenage deviant needs his one Lexus 15" tire & rim.

As is my custom, I throw my house keys on the floorboard & only carry car keys on errands.

Well my mind had not made the adjustment & I left my keys on the floorboard, took my $3000.00 fedex package out of the trunk & into the fedex facility. Upon leaving I found I no longer had any keys at all. Had to conclude that the single Lexus key was in the trunk.

AAA got the locks popped so I again had a key to my 94LS & house keys. From there I could drive to pick up a spare 90LS key, but it did make for a long day!!

I am wondering now if I just could have taken off the 3rd brakelight & subwoofer cover. Taken out the sub & reached in to grab the key?
I was about 1/8 of a mile from Jason Phan & JPI.