LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Exhaust Drone

Old 07-02-10, 03:41 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turboomni
Yum? What is yummy about that? lol
cause i have a ROBOBABE fetish hahaha

Old 07-02-10, 04:38 PM
turboomni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
Just like a slide trombone changes frequency as the pipe length is changed so will exhaust systems/pipes.

The stock exhaust on 95-00 LS400s (maybe others can't recall just now) have resonant cancelling weights installed.

See the weights bolted on ether side of the Y after the cats in pic below.
Yes those are the type of weights he is ordering that hang on the exhaust pipe. I hope that will do the trick. The size pipe I believe he used was 2 1/4 inch.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-03-10, 12:54 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brandicus
cause i have a ROBOBABE fetish hahaha

Sweet mercy.
Old 07-03-10, 01:01 PM
turboomni
Driver School Candidate

dont even know what that is ,,a blow up girl robot tv show?

ok i googled the term robobabe and Ryan,,,StarTrek Robobabe,, good grief

Last edited by turboomni; 07-03-10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-11-12, 09:55 AM
redhead
Driver School Candidate

Default LS400 exhaust drone

Hello. I am new to CL. I have searched a lot on the site about muffler and resonator delete. I want to know first hand from someone who deleted the mufflers or resonators on a 95 or similar generation LS400 and if they had interior drone. I hate that drone when your cruising so any help would be really appreciated. If I were to delete the mufflers I would put still run pipe to the back like stock. Thanks again!!
Old 05-11-12, 01:16 PM
ocr
Pole Position

I just did a 2 1/4" true duals with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers yesterday. My radio turned on at its normal setting, not loud but not uber quite, masks the exhaust pritty well. Personaly I would also add an x pipe to help eliminate the slight rasp it'll have. You can even add a small resinator on it later if its to loud for ya.
Old 05-15-12, 08:08 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

i first did the resinator and it was a bit quiet. Then swapped out the rear mufflers for more high flow., perfect. Then the all my mufflers were ripped off in an extremely deep puddle.... WAY too loud. I then put the front mufflers back on and it would still make my windows rattle when the car exhaust drone struck. so took it into a muffler shop and had it all rewelded . Perfect again!
Old 05-15-12, 08:53 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

I have a single glasspack (after the 3 oem catalytic converters) that runs to a 2.5" pipe straight out the back. Only on one side. I have been pulled over twice for my exhaust and I plan on putting another muffler on just so I stopped getting pulled over even though my car isnt even that loud. Trucks and motorcycles are way louder than LS400's but unfortunately be prepared to be heavily profiled by the police.
Old 06-01-13, 07:28 PM
Hodson
Rookie

Default Straightpipe, big exhaust drone.

Hey guys! I've had my LS for a while now and a few months ago deleted both resonators and both mufflers. Car sounds kickass, but I now have a pretty enormous drone between 1500-2000ish RPM. It's awesome everywhere else except for that one solid cruising rpm range. Hear it all day, every day, giving me a headache.

Anyone know the best way to tackle this? I'm 20 and don't have thousands to throw around, buying $300 resonators, paying to put them in, finding out they don't work and moving on to the next idea. I've heard glasspacks and basic exhaust resonators don't do much for low-RPM drone. I know there are a lot of people on here who have straightpiped their cars too.

My car is a '91 LS400, I kept the exhaust completely stock except just basic muffler and resonator deletes. All 3 cats and the 1-7/8th inch piping are still there. I believe the exhaust shop used 2 inch pipe for all 4 deletes and filled in the spaces with some mig welding. I was thinking of trying out those clamp-on resonator weights that hang off the sides of the pipe, and also heard about "branch resonators" but apparently you need to know exactly how long to make the pipe extensions for that to work.

Anyway! Any ideas are welcome, and any experience from those of you who have also straightpiped your 1UZs. PS. My car straightpiped has no excessive raspiness or ****ty noise, it sounds badass. Best sounding V8 i've owned.
Old 06-01-13, 08:54 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Straight pipe it but keep a pair of mufflers under the back seat to reduce chances of cabin drone.
Old 06-01-13, 09:45 PM
Hodson
Rookie

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Straight pipe it but keep a pair of mufflers under the back seat to reduce chances of cabin drone.
Would that happen to be exactly where the resonators used to be? I've heard chambered mufflers (such as flowmaster and thrush, although I would never put those sounds on a lexus) do next to nothing for drone, but magnaflows and such can do a good job due to their construction. Can others chime in with their exhaust setups and what kind of drone, if any, they get?
Old 06-02-13, 10:46 AM
Hodson
Rookie

I refuse to believe nobody else has this problem. lol.
Old 06-02-13, 11:32 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is not completely straight pipe, but a flow-threw design. I have a bad drone too, but it doesn't bother me that much. It's the worse around 2k rpm's. But it goes away at highway speeds where it sits about 2.5-3k rpm's.

I just deal with it... Your not going to be able to get a real loud exhaust and have little to no drone. You just have to chose what you want more. You can put like you said a chambered muffler on it to get rid of the drone, and still sound decent.

I have more of a glasspack style muffler and tips with resonators in them.
Old 06-02-13, 03:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you got rid of the resonators, what did you expect?

throw a couple resonators on before the mufflers to get rid of the drone.
Old 06-02-13, 09:11 PM
Hodson
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you got rid of the resonators, what did you expect?

throw a couple resonators on before the mufflers to get rid of the drone.
Every other car i've owned to date has never given me so much drone after removing them, including the GT mustang I had (so you can't blame the fact the lexus is a V8)

I've read that in-line resonators will not remove low end drone, only high end drone. My drone is only from 1600-2000ish rpm. PS I have no mufflers either lol. My exhaust consists of the three stock cats and nothing else. I got rid of the resonators because they made the car sound like a bag of dicks, it sounded like a weird V6 echo. awful.

I was thinking doing Pypes M80 mufflers at the back where the stock mufflers were and seeing if that changed anything, but I've also heard adding mufflers can increase drone? And I don't know which design of muffler is the best for reducing drone, a straight-through style muffler, or a chambered muffler?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Drone