LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Finally ran some seafoam.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 07:31 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Finally ran some seafoam.

I bought some seafoam yesterday and decided to run it through the vacuum system this time after finally finding the Seafoam DIY thread(had never been sure where to suck it). With the cooperation of my roommate, I sucked a 1/3rd of the bottle into the brake booster vacuum line while he held the RPM at 2500. Then I shut it off and let it set for 15 minutes as instructed. Fired her up, revved it up a bit, and then drove around for a while until the smoke dissipated. My roommate who is a total noob to cars thought there was something horribly wrong with it because of the smoke, so that was worth the $10 alone. The neighbors were less than impressed when I pulled out into the street with my Lexus from Hell, since their kids were all playing out in the road.

Overall, my impressions have been that it has slightly better throttle response. It's hard to tell, but I think it takes off a little easier. Really nice for idling through parking lots. We'll see if I get better MPG. It probably won't improve at first, because I've been playing with the skinny pedal too much. I decided to give it a go tonight on the way home from the grocery store. It went from 20-60 pretty quick. A police officer pulled out onto my street so I had to slow down real fast. I was surprised he didn't pull me over, considering my tags are expired.

It didn't smoke nearly as much as my 89 Firebird did when I ran seafoam through it, but then the Firebird had 190k on it, and had been heavily abused by its previous owner. I don't think he ever serviced it. This car only has 119k and seems to have been cared for a little better.
Old 05-02-12, 10:23 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

seafoaming is fun, but i honestly wouldn't run that stuff in my cars. watch out for kids, and get your tags taken care of please.
Old 05-02-12, 11:28 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not? It seems a high percentage of people who use it properly have a positive result...
Old 05-02-12, 12:50 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You might want to check your plugs. I have heard others suggest that this can foul plugs up pretty bad. I use Seafoam at oil changes to help clean out deposits but I don't think I am going to do the intake thing myself.
Old 05-02-12, 01:56 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes thats true. Its recommended to change spark plugs after seafoam
Old 05-02-12, 04:56 PM
awdandrwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High percentage of people do all sorts of things, doesn't mean it's good. I personally wouldn't do it on a modern car either, but if it didn't harm anything, good.

Reasons not to do it -- sensors, cats. Fuel-injected cars run alot leaner than carburated cars, and our cars have high compression. Alot less chances of carboned-up pistons and chamber.

Stan

Last edited by awdandrwd; 05-02-12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 05:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
seafoaming is fun, but i honestly wouldn't run that stuff in my cars. watch out for kids, and get your tags taken care of please.
I'm pretty careful in residential areas. I renewed my registration online, but have yet to receive it in the mail.
Old 05-02-12, 07:10 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your neighbors want you to remove everything after the exhaust manifolds- cats, exhaust pipes, mufflers, and do ot again.
Old 05-02-12, 09:01 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by awdandrwd
High percentage of people do all sorts of things, doesn't mean it's good. I personally wouldn't do it on a modern car either, but if it didn't harm anything, good.

Reasons not to do it -- sensors, cats. Fuel-injected cars run alot leaner than carburated cars, and our cars have high compression. Alot less chances of carboned-up pistons and chamber.

Stan
No offense. If a car has EGR, you WILL have carbon build up period.

Fuel injected cars does not run leaner, the PCM controls the air fuel mixture by switching it lean to rich constant to obtain stochiometer 14.7:1 for the sake of the catalyst efficiency.

Sea foam is safe for oxygen sensor and cats. It says it on the bottle.

Overall, it's an ideal thing so sea foam to get all that carbon build up to regain performance and lower emissions. It's just not environmental friendly for the neighbors as it will smoke a lot.
Old 05-02-12, 10:20 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

All I know is, it runs better afterwards than before.

And like GS4 said, you can't have an engine with EGR and not have carbon buildup. It's part of what cost Ford millions on the 6.0 powerstroke.