LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90-94 LS400 HID Fog Lights DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 01:19 PM
ef9racer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 90-94 LS400 HID Fog Lights DIY

things needed.

1st: H1 HID bulbs

2nd: HID ballast

3rd: ratchet, Phillips screw driver, pliers, 6in extension, and a 10mm socket.

4th: last but not COMMON SENSE that i cant make up wright for that. So for that you will need to provide that.

step 1: find all of the bolts and scews.

step 2: remove all three screws that hold in the fog light and the corner light housing (later on you will need it out.

right behind the fog light housing is the bulb pigtail connector .

remove the pigtail and bulb.

step 3: remove the bulb keeper.

with that removed now pry the the metal cap.

step 4: modify the bulb seat.

put the keeper back in the and reseat the new bulb.

step 5: remove the headlight housing to route the wires.

connect the wires to the pigtail and then to the ballast.

step 6: reverse step 1 and 2.

step 7: turn them on and see if they work

GOOD LUCK.

MY BEFORE AND AFTER.

I KNOW IM GOING TO GET A LOT OF DISLIKING COMMENTS, BUT HOWEVER PLEASE DONT BE TOO HARSH. BE CONSTRUCTIVE PLEASE.

Last edited by ef9racer; 04-18-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-18-12, 02:50 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice bro! i plan on puttion HIDs in both fogs and headlights when i install my EagleEyes that Ive had since b4 christmas. what color are thoes? and i wana see pics of a night shot. im gona be black housing my EagleEyes. ill mostlikly do it tomarow since im tired of putting it off. ill also go ahead and order my HIDs. just trying to find the right kind of LEDs to use for my corner lights as i am going to fill my corner lights w/ a bunch of LEDs.
Old 04-18-12, 06:02 PM
ef9racer
Rookie

i don't remember the k i think they are 10k or 12k. i do know they are not super white cause they a little blue.
most definitely will have some night pics when it gets dark here soon.
Old 04-18-12, 07:28 PM
ef9racer
Rookie

on start up

after it heats up

after all the only reason i did it is that i need hi beams at night, cause where i drive home from work at night dont have street lights and we have deer, fox, coyotes, beavers, raccoons, and possums. the NO hi/low HIDs are not cutting.
Old 04-18-12, 08:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there's literally next to no benefit running such high kelvin bulbs, you lose so much actual output...
Old 04-18-12, 08:53 PM
ef9racer
Rookie

its not dialed in yet im only using it as a tool to redirect light to where it is needed. i know by using in in a small housing it will generate a flashlight effect to see farther with a more focused light than the standard wide refection lens. so they no longer are used to be fog lights.
Old 04-18-12, 10:44 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ef9racer
its not dialed in yet im only using it as a tool to redirect light to where it is needed. i know by using in in a small housing it will generate a flashlight effect to see farther with a more focused light than the standard wide refection lens. so they no longer are used to be fog lights.
Hear's food for thought.. from reading and searching, I found out that OEM headlights w/ halogen bulbs suck (we all know that first hand)... OEM headlights w/ HIDs are better... EagleEyes headlights w/ halogen bulbs is an even bigger improvment!! So now just imagine EagleEyes headlights w/ HIDs :-)

Hear in a couple days we all will see the results.. after I recive my HIDs. And ill be taking the shield out of the fogs in the EagleEyes.

Ef9racer - I think you have 10k bulbs.
Old 04-18-12, 11:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

it would have a crap pattern.

best output for a factory halogen car is clear lens+HID Projector retrofit.
Old 04-19-12, 01:31 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The DOT baffle design on the fogs is for a downward dispersion. Looking forward the the main headlights.

That is why I want HID installers to post a beam pattern into my thread so we can see how some of these HID's installs go with various K rated bulbs. As well the resulting beam pattern. The headlights on the 1X is marginal with HID. I haven't seen a really clear cut-off or good throw with DOT spec housings.

So please...post the beam pattern showing the beam cutoff on a side wall shot and throw down the road for us.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...m-pattern.html
Old 04-19-12, 07:40 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Glad you like it but there is only one correct way to do HID upgrade IMO, Retrofit. Check out maxima.org and see thousands of garbage unusable light output with HID through halogen housings. It's like light splatter and is extremely unsafe for people you are behind or passing head on.
RA40's thread is another good example. Last I looked there was like 2 ppl with any sort of focus or cut-off. The rest is like looking at light on the bottom of a pool.
Old 04-19-12, 01:38 PM
bauceLS400
Driver

Looks good man, you should have gone with a more yellow color to make it look oem. Im interested in seeing how it looks like with both lights on.
Old 04-19-12, 04:36 PM
ef9racer
Rookie

im considering retrofitting projectors from a wrecked 3000gt, since they have 4 all to geather i might of well do the head and fog lights as well.
im also going with a lower kelvin bulb, since i was not pleased with the performance of the other bulbs. anyhow this is still a good write up though.

Last edited by ef9racer; 04-19-12 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 06:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Yup, props for the write-up.
Looking forward to what else you have planned.
Old 04-20-12, 12:09 AM
Raddison
Pole Position

Originally Posted by j2b4o
It's like light splatter and is extremely unsafe for people you are behind or passing head on
..but I can see everything...

..on a serious note, I don't really see where you're pulling "extremely unsafe" from. Having an untinted LS I get to enjoy every kind of headlight beam blasting through my rear window. HIDs in cars are NO WORSE than any truck in stock form with halogens, GOD FORBID lifted at all. Proper projectors in newer cars are almost worse, because every bump in the road and you get a nice view of the true second coming of Christ as that cutoff pops up into your rear and side view mirrors melting your retinas.

I swapped cars with a friend of mine to see how my HIDs looked from another driver's point of view and was hardly bothered. And the whole "do onto others" thing went out the door when I had a haggard frame-lifted f-350 behind me with 55w HID headlights, fog lights, and driving lights lighting up more road than my own headlights.. through my windshield.
Old 04-20-12, 12:19 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
it would have a crap pattern.

best output for a factory halogen car is clear lens+HID Projector retrofit.
i know that is the best light output. just saying that HIDs in my EagleEyes will be one hell of an upgrade from OEM w/ halogen bulbs. i do plan on doing a retro fit but i dont have any projectors and dont yet know what kind i want. just tired of my EagleEyes just sitting in there box when i have had em for 5 months already.

Quick Reply: 90-94 LS400 HID Fog Lights DIY