LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need some advice for storing my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 06:58 PM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some advice for storing my car

I drive a 98 Ls400 and I’ll be going on deployment soon, only issues i have is a power steering leak and low engine idle, its not looking like ill be able to fix it prior to being deployed, would you guys recommend putting the car in storage? Or should i have my wife drive it about twice a month to keep it running? I know that when cars sit for a while alot can break down, however im constantly hearing it may be best to just put it in storage, whats your opinion on this? Ill be gone for close to a year, thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-19, 09:14 PM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

A couple things to consider...
If you DON'T choose to store it.
-what happens 3 or 4 months in when your wife goes out to drive it and a tire is low or the battery is dead? Is she capable of handling these situations? If not the car could end up sitting for an extended period of time not stored properly.

If you DO store it.
A year is long enough you'll need to get the entire car up in the air to avoid ruining the tires. If you don't already have a floor jack and 2 pair of jack stands you'll need to invest in those.
Remove the battery and consider it worthless by the time you return. Buy a new one when you get back.
When you get back be careful starting the car for the first time. Either disconnect the spark plug coil packs or remove the fuse for the fuel pump. Either of these will eliminate combustion and allow the starter to spin the motor pumping oil up into the cylinders. Everything will be very dry and you want oil circulating before combustion creates force on the main bearings and other moving parts.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited by bradland; 01-16-19 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 04:23 AM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate your input, shes capable of doing both of those things so i think ill go with having her keep it running, just really dont want all if my seals and gaskets drying out and cracking.
Old 01-17-19, 08:00 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

have her drive it from time to time and keep the battery on a trickle charger
Old 01-17-19, 09:01 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

I think most folks can handle turning on a car and drive it around for 15mins to get the engine up to operating temps to cycle the fluids around.
it will have to be done once or twice a month.

if money is no object, I would just store it indoors with the battery disconnected, as is.
this also removes the inconvenience to the wife, and risk of a car collision.
I've had my weekend car sit for over a year and start right up with a new battery.
tires are a concern only if you see extreme temperature swings (not so much for me in CA).
Old 01-17-19, 12:18 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The battery does not suffer if you keep it connected to a good electronic charger and store it at normal temperatures,
Lead acid batteries age even slower then normal when stored that way.
I get anywhere from 4 to 9 years from my batteries. You should too.
I store my cars 6 months each year these days. Altering between winter and summer car. Small issue like parking brake needing a little lubrication.
Old 01-18-19, 11:14 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by python
have her drive it from time to time and keep the battery on a trickle charger
Agree.What I do.

Old 01-18-19, 11:17 PM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikaelse
The battery does not suffer if you keep it connected to a good electronic charger and store it at normal temperatures,
Lead acid batteries age even slower then normal when stored that way.
I get anywhere from 4 to 9 years from my batteries. You should too.
I store my cars 6 months each year these days. Altering between winter and summer car. Small issue like parking brake needing a little lubrication.
So you dont ever run into issues with gaskets and seals drying out and leaking? That’s honestly my biggest concern when storing my car, really dont want to come back and everything is leaking.
Old 01-18-19, 11:33 PM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

No not really. This is common practice for Motorcycles also in large parts of the world. Here in sweden we drive a few months every year and garage it 6 months every year or more. My current bike a YAMAHA 1100 is a 1994 model . No such problems after 26 years.
I have heard though that it is good to start the car and let it get warm every once in a while to let the AC- compressor seals get som new oil. reduces the risk for leaks.
I am sure it also depends on quality of rubber etc. I was susprised when doing the timing belt on my LS400 how good shape rubber hoses and plastic connector were after 20 years. Did not need to replace anything. Changed the original ignition parts like ignition cables etc but there was nothing wrong with them really.
Old 01-19-19, 03:13 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Do not leave parking brake on.It can 'freeze' in that position.BTDT,at least on drum brakes.
Old 01-19-19, 06:54 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

these are the greatest cars ever until they arent and these cars REALLY hate to sit. worst thing you can do in the world to an old car with high miles is to not drive it. have your wife or friends drive it for you a little a few times a week. even if its only a few miles around town, trust me on this, do it. if the pump is leaking make sure she or whoever keeps an eye on it and add fluid accordingly. DO NOT LET IT SIT!!! you will be sorry.
Old 01-19-19, 11:55 AM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stereorob
these are the greatest cars ever until they arent and these cars REALLY hate to sit. worst thing you can do in the world to an old car with high miles is to not drive it. have your wife or friends drive it for you a little a few times a week. even if its only a few miles around town, trust me on this, do it. if the pump is leaking make sure she or whoever keeps an eye on it and add fluid accordingly. DO NOT LET IT SIT!!! you will be sorry.
Yea i think im pretty set on keeping it running, the plan is a 10 mile drive twice a month/ every 2 weeks. Im sure its fine to store most cars but i love this one and cant see it degrade because i cant drive it.
Old 01-20-19, 01:06 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

My guess is that driving it once in a while is best for it. 10 miles every 2 weeks sounds good.
Storing cars and motorcycles for several months with no driving seem to work descently well where I live. This can be due to the fact that our average outside temp here in sweden is 43 F or 6 degrees C.
= Yes refrigerator average .... I have a heater in the garage that keeps temp at about 10 centigrade minimum. It is extremely seldom high humidity in the garage ,
Our summer temperature inside my garage seldom go over 75 F because the concrete floor directly on the ground keeps temps down. So most of the storage is done dry and low temp.
That should help.
Here in sweden driving it intermitently would mean keping it road registered, insured, That runs at say 50$ a month here .
Over the 3 year period I have driven LS cars alternating summer/winter that would be an extra 1800$ extra expense for the not used car.
Not something I would like much. I paid 2000$ for my LS400 1995. I try to do this on a budget.
Also these days I almost always do some DIY service on the not used LS and I appreciate that I can work on it an hour or two when I feel like it and
When cars here with our salted winter roads etc are passed 10++ years some bolt etc are seized and dismantling is not fast nor easy with normal DIY equipment.
Also a month or so to search for and wait for parts like suspension bushings or ball joints from US or Japan is often needed.
This often mean that the not used car is non driveable for long periods of time.
Old 01-20-19, 12:06 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

when the pump leaks it leaks on the alternator so your wife may be stranded, so best to get it fixed or store it, i say store it disconnect the battery and forget about it until you return.

Quick Reply: Need some advice for storing my car