LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

headache.Valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 11:22 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default headache.Valve cover gasket

I havn't taken my car to the mech for the past 4yrs and thinking I am on a roll by doing everything mysellf,

I ordered the valve cover gasket from ebay which never came with the grommet for the bolts.The drivers side cover gasket was completely loose when I took the bolts off.I put the new gasket on and it was even leaking more than before.I then retightened without using any sequence and it is still leaking.Since this ebay order never came with any grommet for the screws, I went to O reilly to order new ones.At the moment the whole engine is smoking when driving down the road.Does anyonj know the SEQUENCE on tightening the bolts on the cover?.I have even used silicon /RTV on almost every grove on the cover and oil is still pouriing out when driving.
Old 03-23-12, 11:35 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

it would be neat to know what you are driving, but it sounds like you need to remove it all and clean things up .

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/valvecover.html
Old 03-23-12, 11:59 AM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's leaking that bad it's not because of tightening sequence. You may have rolled the gasket out of position when installing the cover.
Old 03-23-12, 12:12 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Originally Posted by billydpowe
it would be neat to know what you are driving, but it sounds like you need to remove it all and clean things up .

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/valvecover.html
I have a 95 and sorry I missed the valve gasket tutorial on his site.Now I have to go buy the 4 valve cover gasket for each cover
Old 03-23-12, 12:41 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkstealthpaid4
I have a 95 and sorry I missed the valve gasket tutorial on his site.Now I have to go buy the 4 valve cover gasket for each cover
4 valve cover gaskets?
you mean 1 valve cover gasket and 4 spark plug seals per valve cover?
Old 03-23-12, 06:20 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpencerT
4 valve cover gaskets?
you mean 1 valve cover gasket and 4 spark plug seals per valve cover?
Unbelievable!A crack in the cover.No wonder the bolts were loose when I first took them off.Slightly leaking when I bought the car and got worse over a 5 yr period.Damn cars that have previously overheated.Put one on from a junk yard with a new gasket.Let's see how this one works.
Old 03-23-12, 10:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

unrelated to overheating actually, someone saw it leaking and instead tried to tighten the hell out of the cover bolts.
Old 03-24-12, 05:46 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
unrelated to overheating actually, someone saw it leaking and instead tried to tighten the hell out of the cover bolts.
In 5 yrs I have never touched the valve cover or the bolts.The former owner wasn't mech inclined and so I am guessing someone retightened the bolts and when I came along I made it worse by cracking it.It was completely losse when I first tried to take them off.

Most mech are also not using the sequencing method on specific vehicles..I was just taught to tightened them in sequence so they wouldn't warp or crack again.Far left up,middle bottom,far right up and then back down far right bolt and so on.................
I am done with this issue now I am moving on to a power steering pump issue.I should have never got the pump from a junk yard.The pulley seems to be locking up.The pulley came off on the hwy and so did the belt..Sorry unrelated......
Old 03-24-12, 07:40 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

there is a tutorial on rebuilding the PS pump if you still have the old one. look it up and save a little.. or rebuild the current one.
Old 03-24-12, 12:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

A torque wrench does wonders if a person does not have a sense of how tightly they are snugging things up. The Toyota torque specs are fairly lax but given aluminum parts, a torque wrench is.
Old 03-25-12, 05:39 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Originally Posted by RA40
A torque wrench does wonders if a person does not have a sense of how tightly they are snugging things up. The Toyota torque specs are fairly lax but given aluminum parts, a torque wrench is.
Thanks for mentioning a torque wrench because with the new cover,gasket and gromett is still leaking but not as much as before.The http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/valvecover.html site says the torque should be 52in-ib but my mech says that is too much.I am never doing valve cover on any V engines.When the cover is off you see all the oil sitting in the corner pockets ready to splash out.Not like an easy straight 6 engine where the oil is actually sitting down.Silicone is on all the corners where the oil sits but it is still slightly leaking.
Old 03-25-12, 05:49 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Unrelated question .....I am about to change out the power steering pump for the 2nd time.Anyone know the bolt size that hold the pump under the car?I remember I had to borrow a swivel socket from my mech.I had a long extension with a socket and that didn't do the job until I got the swivel socket.I need to get this before until I start the job.I just don't want to buy a whole swicket socket set.