LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Converting Power Antenna to Hidden Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 02:10 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converting Power Antenna to Hidden Antenna

Ive had this idea for a long time and since my power antenna broke today I think its time.

I want to disconnect my power antenna and get a non power antenna, maybe a mast but probably not, and hide it in the trunk or car somewhere.

Anybody done this? or know how I would wire it?
Old 03-17-12, 02:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

search the LS400 forum for antenna, there's a couple threads on this already including possibly using the cellphone antenna imprinted on the rear windscreen. mind you most of those look ridiculous imho if the hole for the antenna isnt welded/filled and the quarter repainted.
Old 03-17-12, 03:15 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

I was planning on just leaving the old antenna there
Old 03-19-12, 11:25 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i did this by running an extended antenna wire from the power antenna to the cell phone antenna plug located on the pass side under the trunk carpet (which eventually leads to the imprinted antenna on the rear glass). works perfectly with good reception.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-my-trunk.html
Old 03-19-12, 12:00 PM
curepunx
Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i did this by running an extended antenna wire from the power antenna to the cell phone antenna plug located on the pass side under the trunk carpet (which eventually leads to the imprinted antenna on the rear glass). works perfectly with good reception.

Hmm, this seems interesting.

Care to provide a picture/part number/where you bought the extended antenna wire? I'd definitely like to get this done on my 1LS.
Old 03-19-12, 03:07 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

I saw your other thread about this and is now my plan.

Does this work with a 95-97? I know i have the wire for the car phone but i dont think there is a different pattern in my rear glass
Old 03-19-12, 07:11 PM
timmy0tool

i have a 97 so this will work !

i got the extension wire from an aftermarket antenna at your local auto parts store. it mates on the factory antenna side, but when mating to the cell phone antenna you will need to get creative. the cell phone side connector is male so the extension wire will have to be a female to fit. they will not mate perfectly (due to different threads and sizing) so i simply made sure the center conductor of each wire is making contact with each other, before securing the two together with electrical tape. i ended up using heat shrink for a cleaner look (which you don't see anyway).

it's hard to explain w/o pics so i hope you understand it. you can always just use any wire (i.e. coaxial cable for your cable box) to bridge the two together.
Old 03-22-12, 11:01 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

i have a 97 so this will work !

i got the extension wire from an aftermarket antenna at your local auto parts store. it mates on the factory antenna side, but when mating to the cell phone antenna you will need to get creative. the cell phone side connector is male so the extension wire will have to be a female to fit. they will not mate perfectly (due to different threads and sizing) so i simply made sure the center conductor of each wire is making contact with each other, before securing the two together with electrical tape. i ended up using heat shrink for a cleaner look (which you don't see anyway).

it's hard to explain w/o pics so i hope you understand it. you can always just use any wire (i.e. coaxial cable for your cable box) to bridge the two together.

I understand that part.
how did you mate the stock antenna wires to the new extension wire?
do you have a picture of this?
and what kind of wire did you use?
Old 03-22-12, 11:08 AM
timmy0tool

it will be hard to see now that the heat shrink is holding them together. i'll see if i can take a pic later tonight.
Old 03-22-12, 11:16 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Im just not sure which wires.
did you just splice them together?
Old 03-22-12, 11:30 AM
timmy0tool

there is a cable that plugs into the retracting antenna (single coaxial cable, that cables leads to the factory head unit). unplug that and add an extention wire to the other side of the trunk where the imprinted antenna plug is shown here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-my-trunk.html (the first pic, not the second). the second pic is the power wires connectors for the cell phone module.
Old 03-22-12, 11:48 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

ohh.
It seems so simple now.
thank you. this is brilliant if it works good.
Old 03-22-12, 01:36 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well he already stated it works. I doubt Tim is out to trick us into unnecessarily plugging our antenna wires.
Old 03-24-12, 07:59 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Having just broken my newly replaced antenna by going thru a car wash (I was in a hurry to remove the pollen) I think I will try this next.