LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension problems 96 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 07:05 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok how about re-using the old UCAs with new bushings?

Like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-FRONT-UPPE...28e44f&vxp=mtr
Old 10-23-12, 07:21 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SpencerT
BEWARE aftermarket upper control arms!!!!!!!
Many many users have had horrible experiences with these
Agreed.

Supposedly Dorman is good.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7115103-post29.html
Old 10-23-12, 09:37 PM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BEWARE aftermarket upper control arms!!!!!!!
Many many users have had horrible experiences with these
I've read lots of information about the problems with some of the aftermarket parts but I found these Meyle arms on some sort of closeout and paid about $159 shipped for both of them. Meyle parts are somewhat widely used by Euro car enthusiasts and I've used some of their parts on my Mercedes and my BMW and I've never had a problem. I guess I'll find out soon enough if the LS400 will eat right through them but I have never had any kind of problem with their parts previous to this purchase.

For all I know the existing arms are still good but my gut feeling is that they are pretty damned sloppy and have been for some time. I decided to quit procrastinating and get the parts I need to tackle this repair mainly because of the great deal I found on the control arms. I wasn't about to throw $500 at the factory arms so this cheaper option has got me moving forward. I would have preferred the Beck Arnley or Moog control arms but they would have been about $400 and that was also more than I wanted to spend. I'm a cheap bastard.

The arms arrived today and they look well built. If my upper control arms are contributing to my handling problems they will certainly be a huge improvement over what I have.

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...ml?3593=268877

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...ml?3593=268875

Here is what I paid 4 days ago:

Item Product Name Price Qty Total
268877 Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly $ 66.35 1 of 1 $ 66.35
268875 Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly $ 78.55 1 of 1 $ 78.55
Sub-total $ 144.90
Home Delivery $ 15.04
Order Total $ 159.94

Anyway, the original parts definitely didn't set any endurance records so I'm pretty open to trying something else. I can't wait to get this thing sorted out. I've actually just recently decided that I would like to keep it for a few more years so I'm finally motivated to freshen up the ol' undercarriage. Other than the suspension, this car is cosmetically and mechanically very solid.
Old 10-24-12, 05:26 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Goofaroo
I've read lots of information about the problems with some of the aftermarket parts but I found these Meyle arms on some sort of closeout and paid about $159 shipped for both of them. Meyle parts are somewhat widely used by Euro car enthusiasts and I've used some of their parts on my Mercedes and my BMW and I've never had a problem. I guess I'll find out soon enough if the LS400 will eat right through them but I have never had any kind of problem with their parts previous to this purchase.

For all I know the existing arms are still good but my gut feeling is that they are pretty damned sloppy and have been for some time. I decided to quit procrastinating and get the parts I need to tackle this repair mainly because of the great deal I found on the control arms. I wasn't about to throw $500 at the factory arms so this cheaper option has got me moving forward. I would have preferred the Beck Arnley or Moog control arms but they would have been about $400 and that was also more than I wanted to spend. I'm a cheap bastard.

The arms arrived today and they look well built. If my upper control arms are contributing to my handling problems they will certainly be a huge improvement over what I have.

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...ml?3593=268877

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...ml?3593=268875

Here is what I paid 4 days ago:

Item Product Name Price Qty Total
268877 Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly $ 66.35 1 of 1 $ 66.35
268875 Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly $ 78.55 1 of 1 $ 78.55
Sub-total $ 144.90
Home Delivery $ 15.04
Order Total $ 159.94

Anyway, the original parts definitely didn't set any endurance records so I'm pretty open to trying something else. I can't wait to get this thing sorted out. I've actually just recently decided that I would like to keep it for a few more years so I'm finally motivated to freshen up the ol' undercarriage. Other than the suspension, this car is cosmetically and mechanically very solid.
Thanks, I'm keen to know your results!
The Meyle UCAs are also readily available on ebay and especially to us here on the other side of the world.
Old 10-24-12, 05:27 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wnyjazz
Agreed.

Supposedly Dorman is good.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7115103-post29.html
Ive had a look and they only seem to make the for UCF10s (89-94).
Old 10-24-12, 06:38 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

The Meyle UCAs are also readily available on ebay and especially to us here on the other side of the world.

I didn't know I could get them on Ebay for a bit less than I paid. I thought I had found a great deal. The Meyle parts that I have purchased in the past were not so disproportionately inexpensive compared to the other brands.

I'll report back when I get them installed and I'll try to keep posting updates as I put some miles on them. I am just not going to spend the ridiculous money that the OEM parts cost so we need to think outside the box and find alternatives.

Does anyone know who makes the original control arms?

Last edited by Goofaroo; 10-24-12 at 06:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-27-12, 11:15 PM
Driver School Candidate

Sigh, had the car jacked up and checked by a local tyre workshop.

Turns out the ball joints at the steering tie rods on both sides had freeplay. No wonder the car was swaying around.

Waiting tomorrow to hear back from ebay sellers of steering tie rods. There are lots on ebay and cheap fortunately.

Otherwise all the other suspension components looked fine.

Sadly, I've bought a used set of Tein Comfort Sports..which now I know I don't need. Ah well, might fit them anyway as they seem to have good reviews on the LS400.
Old 11-03-12, 04:45 PM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Here is the poo. I got everything taken apart today and was very surprised to find that the control arms and struts appeared to be in great condition. Once I got the springs off and checked the shocks they actually had a surprising amount of dampening left but I replaced them with KYB Excel G shocks.

The control arms were the big surprise. I expected the original ball joints to be completely destroyed but they weren't. The bushings appeared to be in great shape and the ball joints had no slop and were actually still fairly stiff when moved around by hand with them off the car.

I found nothing that would account for how crappy the front end felt and I had replaced almost everything but the UCAs and shocks so I figured I would just install the new parts and see what happens. I got it all together, took it for a test drive, and it is fixed. It drives much better than it has the entire time I've owned it. I can't say for sure what eliminated the knock because I replaced the shocks and the upper arms but I would guess that it was the arms. Either way, the front end feels like new and before it felt like the bushings and ball joints in the upper arms were completely shot.

As for the Meyle arms- The taper on the ball joints fit perfectly, they bolted right in easily, and they appeared to be well built. They certainly fixed my problem but only time will tell how long they will last. I drive this car about 15K-20K miles per year and I will report back periodically with updates as to their durability. I should probably mention that unlike some have reported with the Arnott arms that the ball joint taper was not only correct but it bolted in at the correct depth. It was just right to make a good seal around the boot but not too far as to crush the boot as it moves through it's travel. I lubed the bolts going through the bushings and the external surfaces of the bushings with anti-seize although I saw no reason that they would ever squeak.

I would guess that the factory UCAs have been sloppy for a very long time. For the difference in price between the factory arms and the Meyle arms I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Meyle arms again if I can get at least 40-50K miles out of them. They aren't that difficult to replace so it would be worth the difference in price. Who knows, they may last for a long time.
Old 12-10-12, 10:18 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

could you tell us the country of manufacture printed on the Meyle UCA boxes they came in? (or else the country marked on the arms/bushings/joint themselves?)
Old 12-17-12, 08:20 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Sorry but I don't recall where they were made. I don't believe that it was China and I think it may have been India but I could be wrong.

I also should mention that my knock is back although not as bad. I am suspecting either the upper shock mount or the sway bar end links. If I was to do this again, I would just replace everything at once and hopefull be done with it for a while.

The poly carrier bushings really made the rear track much better.
Old 02-10-13, 09:20 PM
Driver School Candidate

Good info here.

To update, my car developed a grinding sound on Left front side.

I had the wheel hub bearing replaced and the sound went away. However the car now has a knock coming from the left front. The mechanic thinks the upper balljoint was the culprit causing the wheel bearing to wear down in the first place.

Anyway saw the mechanic taking off the wheel hub and he had to hammer hard on the upper and lower ball joints.

I've bought the Meyle UCA and new lower ball joints. Should be able to fit them this week.
I'll update later on.

Goofaroo, do keep us updated on how the Meyle UCA does. Thanks dude.
Old 03-11-13, 01:58 AM
Driver School Candidate

I've fitted the Meyle UCA on the left and lower ball joints on both sides.

Much nicer feel on the left. The knocking sound on the left has gone. Car feels much firmer.

I now want to fit a new UCA on the right.

The car is 16 years old after old and heavy too.
Old 03-18-13, 12:34 PM
Goofaroo
Rookie

I've had no problems at all with the Meyle UCAs. However, I still have the knock on the right side. Yesteray, I finally got around to replacing the sway bar end links (Deeza- Made in Turkey) and the sway bar bushings (Moog). The front end really feels nice and solid now but I still have the knock on the right. I have decided that even though it looked perfect when I replaced the shocks, the upper shock mount has got to be the culprit. I am going to replace it soon and I will report back.

For the record, I have done nothing to the rear except for the Adus carrier bushings and the rear seems to work perfectly.
Old 03-21-13, 03:51 PM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Yesterday I got the new strut mount for the front right and had the day off so I I removed the old strut assembly. The old strut mount looked completely solid but I did find that the bumper on that side was in pretty poor shape and was no longer attached so it was just flopping around on the shock shaft. After driving all around town trying to find a replacement, I ended up modifying one that I had left over from another project. Even though the old strut mount looked perfect, I went ahead and installed the new one and buttoned everything back up.

FINALLY! This damn thing finally drives like a proper LS400 and the front suspension not only works great but is dead silent. I even took it in for some new tires and now it tracks flawlessly straight and rides really smooth. Now if I can just get around to fixing EGR pipe and the small oil leak I'll be good to go.