LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 ls400 undercarriage picture of stock exhaust

Old 01-03-12, 10:07 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 ls400 undercarriage picture of stock exhaust

I have a brand new greddy exhaust for a ls400 and i want to see if it fits my 96. It has a flange after the first y pipe and as memory serves the 96 doesn't have any flange after the cats at all right. Unless it was made for a either the 1ls or 98 and up. If anyone has pictures of the exhaust alone that also works too. Thank you!

Last edited by PureDrifter; 01-03-12 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 10:09 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Sorry can a mod change the title to "1996 ls400 undercarriage picture of stock exhaust" Thank you!
Old 01-03-12, 10:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Greddy never made an exhaust for the LS/Celsior. and '95-00 exhausts are identical.

you may have a GS/SC exhaust.
Old 01-03-12, 11:43 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Yea noob me, got it for a steal so im not even compaining. Anyway, the pipings look like it will work with a lil modifications. Can it be modified to fit?
Old 01-04-12, 12:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

just take it to an exhaust shop and have them make you the bits you need.
Old 01-04-12, 08:29 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by akitomk3
I have a brand new greddy exhaust for a ls400 and i want to see if it fits my 96. It has a flange after the first y pipe and as memory serves the 96 doesn't have any flange after the cats at all right. Unless it was made for a either the 1ls or 98 and up. If anyone has pictures of the exhaust alone that also works too. Thank you!
Is this of any help??
Attached Thumbnails 1996 ls400 undercarriage picture of stock exhaust-exhaust.jpg  
Old 01-04-12, 06:20 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

^ Thank you!! That helps a lot.
Old 06-04-12, 08:27 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
just take it to an exhaust shop and have them make you the bits you need.
I also got a line on a sweet exhaust for a 98 GS300 that I hope can be moded to work on my LS400. The setup comes with two mufflers and a y-pipe and it looks like the y-pipe will fit in place of the mid-silencers on the LS. Of course a flange will have to be welded onto the factory end so the bolt-on will work. If it works out I will have the shop also add a flange to the factory pipe I am removing so I will then have a true bolt-on/off system where I can swap them back out come CA emissions time. Got a link to any posts with details in the forums where others may have had some success with this mod? Thanks.
Old 06-04-12, 03:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the bends and length will all be different. good luck.
Old 06-04-12, 06:01 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

the bends and length will all be different. good luck.
Length is easy to fix by adding additional tubing. Not sure what you mean by the bends being different. The new muffler inputs appear to be bent nearly identical to the stock ones; even the hangers are in the right place. From there it's a straight shot to the y-pipe and on to the CAT tubing. But let's say you're right...what would you recommend for an exhaust upgrade since outside of Japan there are almost no bolt-on systems for the LS series under $1,000? I am just looking for an agressive tone and better styling and don't really care for the arguing about "if your tubing was .5 mm bigger you could gain .75 and 9/10ths torque increase when the car is upside down under water" or any other such nonsense I've been reading in the other threads. Maybe some after-market straight resonators with custom pipes from my local exhaust shop is the way to go rather than hopeing a $400 GS400 exhaust will work?

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 06-04-12 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 04:08 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Length is easy to fix by adding additional tubing. Not sure what you mean by the bends being different. The new muffler inputs appear to be bent nearly identical to the stock ones; even the hangers are in the right place. From there it's a straight shot to the y-pipe and on to the CAT tubing. But let's say you're right...what would you recommend for an exhaust upgrade since outside of Japan there are almost no bolt-on systems for the LS series under $1,000? I am just looking for an agressive tone and better styling and don't really care for the arguing about "if your tubing was .5 mm bigger you could gain .75 and 9/10ths torque increase when the car is upside down under water" or any other such nonsense I've been reading in the other threads. Maybe some after-market straight resonators with custom pipes from my local exhaust shop is the way to go rather than hopeing a $400 GS400 exhaust will work?
www.magnaflow.com
and an exhaust shop of your choice. have fun. I recco a 2.25" pipe from the cat's back, with an x-pipe to aid in scavenging. if all you're doing is the rear section, then a couple high polished magnaflows will suit you just fine.

i don't recco bolt-on systems for the LS because frankly there aren't any that I like or feel are worth the money.

also, you can run whatever exhaust setup you want for smog purposes, provided the headers and cats are OEM or CARB-legal.
i've never had a problem with SMOG in the past 5 years i've had my exhaust setup on the car. (cops on the other hand... )

Last edited by PureDrifter; 06-05-12 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-11-12, 07:17 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

www.magnaflow.com
and an exhaust shop of your choice. have fun. I recco a 2.25" pipe from the cat's back, with an x-pipe to aid in scavenging. if all you're doing is the rear section, then a couple high polished magnaflows will suit you just fine.

i don't recco bolt-on systems for the LS because frankly there aren't any that I like or feel are worth the money.

also, you can run whatever exhaust setup you want for smog purposes, provided the headers and cats are OEM or CARB-legal.
i've never had a problem with SMOG in the past 5 years i've had my exhaust setup on the car. (cops on the other hand... )
Thanks, PD. And that's a good point about smog because as you know the rear section (all sections?) of the LS400 exhaust is flared and clamped together so adding new piping/mufflers means welding them together which would pretty much prevent you from reinstalling the factory mufflers anyway. So when you did your setup did you remove the mid-silencers or just add the new mufflers?
Old 06-11-12, 01:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Thanks, PD. And that's a good point about smog because as you know the rear section (all sections?) of the LS400 exhaust is flared and clamped together so adding new piping/mufflers means welding them together which would pretty much prevent you from reinstalling the factory mufflers anyway. So when you did your setup did you remove the mid-silencers or just add the new mufflers?
we cut off everything after the the post-cat O2 sensor and laid new pipe, x-pipe, and mufflers.
Old 06-11-12, 02:36 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done a local muffler shop. I had from cats back done , deleting the center resonator/cat(17410). Using the the resonating mufflers (17420), and a set of Greddy mufflers (00ish Accord i believe) to finish out the back replacing the stock ones(17430). just louder than stock but has a great aggressive tone.

depending on who you talk to 17410 is a cat or resonator, 17420 is a resonator or muffler. I had one shop tell me that legally the could not chance anything before 17420 because it was all part of the cat system. So even exhaust shops will give you different stories.
Old 06-12-12, 12:50 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

on some random 1st gen cars the center resonator is actually a cat. but since it's not monitored via O2 sensors and the variation in same year cars you're pretty safe with messing with anything after the pair of cats right after the headers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 ls400 undercarriage picture of stock exhaust