LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 5 speed swap in progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 11:55 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 5 speed swap in progress

I'm in the middle of a 5 speed swap on my LS400. The clutch pedal is in. Clutch pedal and master cylinder off of a SC300. I Decided to remove TRAC to make room for the clutch master cylinder. Transmission will be a W58 from a 93 SC300.
I plan on ordering a 1UZ-FE to W58 adapter plate and the rest of the hardware to get the transmission in within the next few weeks.

If I clean the car up between then and now I'll take some pictures.
Old 11-29-11, 03:02 PM
OMGFTW
Driver School Candidate

cool. looking forward to seeing this...
Old 11-29-11, 03:02 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with your build, keep us updated.

Just keep taking flicks of your progress, not too many people have done this so I would like to see what you have to do in term of pictures to be able to make this swap functional.
Old 11-29-11, 03:29 PM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for updates. how did you make the sc300 clutch pedal work?
Old 11-29-11, 03:34 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you gonna drift it?
Old 11-29-11, 04:28 PM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

Curious. Im in to see how this Goes down!
Old 11-29-11, 06:17 PM
OMGFTW
Driver School Candidate

are you going to use a steel braided line from master to slave for the clutch line or bend up a one and run a factory flex line?
Old 11-29-11, 06:40 PM
Raddison
Pole Position

Subscribed.
Old 11-29-11, 06:58 PM
Woozy
Rookie

WOW, that is so cool.. I would love to have a 5 speed in my 91. how r u going to deal with the shifter in the console to make it look factory.. i will be looking for pictures.. and a DIY down the line..
Old 12-02-11, 02:05 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Well I actually thought there would be no interest in this conversion. I won't have any updates worth mentioning for a few more weeks. Gotta pay the bills before the car parts.

When I first got the car, all "information" about this made it out to be a lot harder than I think it really be. If you can remove and reinstall a transmission, you can probably do this. Not to say it's easy, but it is very straightforward. I'm probably not going to do a comprehensive write up only because I can only internet from a mobile phone at this point. And it's getting cold up here so I'm working as fast as I can and taking as few breaks as possible.

I removed the foot parking brake pedal and relocated the under dash fuse box to make room for the SC300 clutch pedal. Will put in a handle emergency brake in the near future. I had to put a small hole in the wheel well to have the clutch master cylinder where I want it. It's small enough it looks like it won't be a problem if I ever decide to slam it VIP style. I'll make some measurements when I get some free time, hopefully this weekend.

This will be my daily driver when it's up and running again. The car needs a lot of work but I'm not building a missile. Not to say I won't have a little fun from time to time.

User 4U2QUIK makes a kit I'm going to use. It comes with a stainless steel line for the clutch hydraulic.

The shift linkage will be extended. No cutting through the console for a working shifter will be going on here. I don't have any fab skills so I'm going to have to job out the fabbing. I'd love a 5 speed in your 91 too. I say go for it. I saw a thread someone posted a lot of pictures converting a SC400 to a 5 speed. The swap is similar except more pitfalls on the sedan.

I apologize in advance if my messages are hard to follow. I can only post from mobile.
Old 12-03-11, 04:17 AM
OMGFTW
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like your going to have some fun, as for not taking pictures. if you can just grab a few pics of like the trans shifter extention, how far you had to go and if there were anything you would change if you were to do this over again.

I under stand you do this from your mobile phone but keep us updated and let us know about problems you occur and how you went around fixing them....

Cheers and GOOD LUCK !

Brandon.
Old 12-03-11, 07:31 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep us updated as i also plan on doing a W58 swap.... eventualy.
Old 12-06-11, 07:53 PM
onyx10
Driver School Candidate

Subscribed!!! I actually just ordered the w58 adapter plate from a seller on ebay. I hope to swap my 92
How did you get the sc clutch pedal in there?
Old 12-07-11, 02:21 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OMGFTW
Sounds like your going to have some fun, as for not taking pictures. if you can just grab a few pics of like the trans shifter extention, how far you had to go and if there were anything you would change if you were to do this over again.

I under stand you do this from your mobile phone but keep us updated and let us know about problems you occur and how you went around fixing them....

Cheers and GOOD LUCK !

Brandon.
I'm looking for a nearby exhaust repair shop. Usually these guys don't mind taking care of a small weld job. Rich at Daft Innovations did this swap for a customer and I think he added 7" to the shift linkage. I don't think my W58 has the same length linkage so I'll take pictures after getting it taken care of and post measurements.

I can tell you right now when I do this again I'll be doing this on a LS400 that didn't come with TRAC. Also I might even bite the bullet and take the dashboard out if I do it again, for more room to work when installing the clutch pedal. And I also wouldn't plan on pulling the automatic transmission out around a holiday. I can't find anyone who will have the free time to help me when I think I'll have all the needed parts. I never pulled a heavy automatic transmission without assistance and I pulled both shoulders at work. This part of the swap will not be fun.

Other than the clutch pedal this swap is very straightforward. And the pedal wasn't even that bad of a job to install. But if I do run into any snags, or have problems down the road I'll post updates.
Old 12-07-11, 02:27 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ocr
keep us updated as i also plan on doing a W58 swap.... eventualy.
No major work will be taking place until a little before or a little after Christmas. This when's paycheck will be for the second of two consecutive half weeks of work. The 16th will be for a full week and I'll be able to order parts. Eventually? The sooner you get it done the sooner you'll no longer wish you did it.

Quick Reply: 94 5 speed swap in progress