LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie Here, need help with my 1996 LS

Old 11-16-11, 08:27 PM
shirkes330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Here, need help with my 1996 LS

So I'll probably catch flack for making a new thread but I can't find any info? I have 96 ebony teal pearl ls and it's my restore vehicle aside from a few problems ( strut rods, weird gas smell when running, and a possessed radio) its a really decent car. I'm replacing the head unit and purchased a double DIN kit on eBay but I need to know what wiring kit I need to install my radio. Also if any one knows anything about the gas smell its only after the car has run for a little while it just smells like gas and exhaust. When I go over bumps and apply the brakes I get a clunking in the front of the engine compartment? Is this a serious issue? Can someone please help me? Thanks!
Old 11-17-11, 05:46 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Your gas smell sounds like maybe an O2 sensor is bad b/c you say the smell is gas/exhaust. Did you get it checked for codes? Even if the light isn't on you might have something stored. The clunk sounds like the strut rod bushings are shot. (common issue) I know there's a harness to use for the new head unit but I'm not sure which one b/c I've never changed my radio. (actually, I don't even use it) Try looking, or asking, in the audio section. I know it's been talked about many, many times so if you search some more you should find it.
Old 11-17-11, 06:11 AM
shirkes330
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Your gas smell sounds like maybe an O2 sensor is bad b/c you say the smell is gas/exhaust. Did you get it checked for codes? Even if the light isn't on you might have something stored. The clunk sounds like the strut rod bushings are shot. (common issue) I know there's a harness to use for the new head unit but I'm not sure which one b/c I've never changed my radio. (actually, I don't even use it) Try looking, or asking, in the audio section. I know it's been talked about many, many times so if you search some more you should find it.
Thanks I didn't put 2 and 2 together the check engine light comes on all the time for a bad oxygen sensor but I wasnt sure that was what the gas smell was. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-17-11, 10:34 AM
enigma94
Driver School Candidate

The clunking sounds like it could be strut rod bushings or lower ball joints, both fairly common issues on the LS. If it happens only when you apply the brakes it would be more in line with strut rod bushings, if it happens when you hit bumps or rough spots in the road then it would be more in line with lower ball joints.
Old 11-17-11, 11:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

LBJ is different, and not related specifically to braking or bumps but rather creates play, potentially being noisy over bumps.

front Strut rod bushings though will almost always have a characteristic "thump" when going over abrupt bumps/potholes and sometimes "squeak" during braking.
Old 11-17-11, 11:32 AM
shirkes330
Rookie

Mine can be either when I go over large like potholes or bumps and when applying the brakes and a stop sign and small cracks in the road create a thumping noise but all are a loud thumping noise I can't feel a lot of play in the steering either. Im planning on fixing soon though are strut rod bushings expensive and hard to put in. And is this an issue that needs to be addressed soon or is it more a cosmetic/ annoying issue?
Old 11-17-11, 11:55 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

needs to be addressed as it screws up caster/toe geometry.

LBJs are dangerous though if they fail. LBJs will show up as play with the wheels off the ground.
Old 11-17-11, 12:02 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by shirkes330
Im planning on fixing soon though are strut rod bushings expensive and hard to put in.
No they're not too expensive at all, especially if they're bad, then ya need them. (priceless) Something I didn't realize is for the 96 there was 2 made, depending on the manufacture date of the car. $31-$39 here; http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/Page_Pr...onentsIndex=31 #48674.

Now that I looked at Sewell's site, it only shows the one. Maybe the manufacture date doesn't matter. ???

Last edited by deanshark; 11-17-11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 06:46 PM
shirkes330
Rookie

Well that sounds great I was worried it was expensive if anyone has any pointers or tips just please let me know I'm not totally familiar with this vehicle. I owned a ES330 and wrecked it and they are totally different cars!
Old 11-17-11, 07:10 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

warning do not buy poly bushings or you will ruin your Lexus ride. I made that mistake and had to do them twice, to have a quite ride again....
part numbers are below, they fit 1995-2000, all LS400.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie Here, need help with my 1996 LS-sr-bushings.jpg  
Old 11-17-11, 07:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

^I will confirm that you can still get new OEM bushings from Luis @ Carson Toyota as of a week ago...
Old 11-17-11, 07:30 PM
shirkes330
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
^I will confirm that you can still get new OEM bushings from Luis @ Carson Toyota as of a week ago...
So can I just go to my local dealer ( Lexus of Dublin, Ohio) and give them the part number to buy them?
Old 11-17-11, 09:01 PM
shirkes330
Rookie

Does anyone else know if a radio from an 97 es300 will work in my ls400?
Old 11-17-11, 10:33 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine's clunking too. Replacing strut rods would be plan A before moving on the the LBJs or UCAs, right?

Doing a "strut rod replace" search resulted with several threads, here's two that look helpful (to add to the already helpful information in this thread):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ock-noise.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...95-2000-a.html

Last edited by AzHotLS; 11-17-11 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 11:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by shirkes330
So can I just go to my local dealer ( Lexus of Dublin, Ohio) and give them the part number to buy them?
yeah or you could buy from one of the vendors (carson toyota aka l-tunedparts.com or sewell lexus) and get a substantial discount off list.... I think I paid ~$30-40/each for mine last time?

you will need a shop with a press to swap the bushings, or if there's none reasonably priced near you, whole bars with bushings are available for ~$110/each or so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie Here, need help with my 1996 LS