LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Checking oil level vs low oil sensor warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 02:18 PM
hermansen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking oil level vs low oil sensor warning

Hi fellow forum members!

I have a 1992 Lexus LS400 and would like to know how you go about checking your oil level?

The way I do it and the problems I face:
- I have checked the oil level after a night of standing still the first thing in the morning and also after shut down of the car and letting it sit for six minutes or more and then checking the level. It has ALWAYS shown more than full on the dipstick. I know when I changed oil in autumn that I filled with approximately 5 litres.
- The low oil level light sometimes lightens up for approximately 20-30 seconds to then be shut down..... It happens, well, once a trip at the moment.
- I have tried NOT dipping the dipstick all the way down but letting an inch or so form full in position and then pulled it up again and it shows over the full mark too....

This has led me to confusion. If someone has encountered or knows what kind of problem I might be facing I am more than happy willingly to take note of any suggestions.

Regards,
Hermansen
Old 03-19-18, 02:50 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hermansen
Hi fellow forum members!

I have a 1992 Lexus LS400 and would like to know how you go about checking your oil level?

The way I do it and the problems I face:
- I have checked the oil level after a night of standing still the first thing in the morning and also after shut down of the car and letting it sit for six minutes or more and then checking the level. It has ALWAYS shown more than full on the dipstick. I know when I changed oil in autumn that I filled with approximately 5 litres.
- The low oil level light sometimes lightens up for approximately 20-30 seconds to then be shut down..... It happens, well, once a trip at the moment.
- I have tried NOT dipping the dipstick all the way down but letting an inch or so form full in position and then pulled it up again and it shows over the full mark too....

This has led me to confusion. If someone has encountered or knows what kind of problem I might be facing I am more than happy willingly to take note of any suggestions.

Regards,
Hermansen

Add only what the dipstick requests. If you have chronic over-full readings on the dipstick after a 5 litre fill, don't fill it with 5 litres.
Add 4.5, start the engine for just a couple of minutes to fill the galleries and filter, shut it off, and see where the level is now. Add a little as necessary to hit the full range on the dipstick. Check it the next day and the next. If the level goes up after driving the car, you have other problems, like fuel or water making it into the crankcase. If it remains good, I hope you noted how much oil you put in.

I check my oil in the morning before the engine gets hot. Oil can and does expand as it gets warm, and this can play with your mind if you are chasing oil levels under varying engine temperatures. Check and adjust your oil level when cold, then see if it goes up when the engine is hot and has sat for a few minutes, that is your "hot" reading for when you are out on the road at a gas station and need to add oil.

I do not depend on anything like low oil sensors or low coolant sensors. They *may* provide a useful warning on the road, but not necessarily. Check your fluids cold, monitor their levels cold, and you are not likely to be surprised by an oil/coolant sensor throwing a warning at you. Always inspect a level warning of course . . .
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic; 03-19-18 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-20-18, 10:34 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I could not fully understand the original post, but on my '91, with no problems (that I know of) with the dipstick or with the oil level sensor ...

My low oil level sensor light has come on about twice over the years. Both times, it was when warmed up, at freeway speed, and would just flicker a little. When checking later carefully with the dipstick, I found the level to be EXACTLY at the low mark on the dipstick. So it makes sense to me that this is how the system is designed and how it should work. And I'm impressed with Lexus' accuracy on this.

If your dipstick and oil level sensor don't agree, it seems that the more complicated one (the sensor) is more likely to be the problem. Well, unless there's a chance you have the wrong dipstick. The manual should have the exact overall length spec.

When I do oil changes, I drain completely, and then add a full 5-QUART (4.72 liters) jug, mainly for convenience, not concerned about exactness of level, and knowing that there will be some leaks+consumption. Never a problem.
Old 03-20-18, 12:23 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

to state the obvious, you are checking your oil on a level surface correct?
your driveway may seem level but a slight slope can enable a misread on the dip stick.

also, check this out!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...eplaced-2.html
Old 03-25-18, 01:25 PM
hermansen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I could not fully understand the original post, but on my '91, with no problems (that I know of) with the dipstick or with the oil level sensor ...

My low oil level sensor light has come on about twice over the years. Both times, it was when warmed up, at freeway speed, and would just flicker a little. When checking later carefully with the dipstick, I found the level to be EXACTLY at the low mark on the dipstick. So it makes sense to me that this is how the system is designed and how it should work. And I'm impressed with Lexus' accuracy on this.

If your dipstick and oil level sensor don't agree, it seems that the more complicated one (the sensor) is more likely to be the problem. Well, unless there's a chance you have the wrong dipstick. The manual should have the exact overall length spec.

When I do oil changes, I drain completely, and then add a full 5-QUART (4.72 liters) jug, mainly for convenience, not concerned about exactness of level, and knowing that there will be some leaks+consumption. Never a problem.
Yes, I am checking the oil on a flat surface. The thing is that when I changed oil, 6 months ago, I did it twice. The first time I filled 5 litres, and the dipstick showed overfull on all consecutive oil level checks. A few days after I drained the oilpan and filled it yet again. This time with approximately 3.5 litres at first. Then checking the oil level and it was still showing overfull. But I know however that a drain and fill should require app. 5 litres. So I filled in 5 litres again.

Now I get a low oil warning on the dash from time to time and intermittently, for a few seconds. But when I check the dipstick it is always overfull (above the max line). And I think it is difficult to read "how much" over it is due to the dipstick being, for a lack of better word, "scratchy". So I suspect I either have the following problems:

1) The dipstick is correct, it is overfull
2) I am under recommended level, the oil level warning on the dash is correct. However the tubing for the dipstick might be so narrow it is keeping fluid there somehow giving me false readings on the dipstick.

Therefore my question is if anybode else have had troubles "reading" their dipsticks.
Old 03-25-18, 01:29 PM
hermansen
Driver School Candidate

Next time I do my oil change, which is this month, I will fill up to the recommended level, also measuring the amount drained. The dipstick should not show overfull then...
Old 05-18-18, 10:53 AM
Mosey
2nd gear

I have the same issue: flickering RED oil light when braking, but when I check the dipstick it is full or over full. Not sure which to trust (A) light, (b) dipstick. Hope somebody can shed some light on this dipstick (me).
Old 05-18-18, 11:34 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mosey
I have the same issue: flickering RED oil light when braking, but when I check the dipstick it is full or over full. Not sure which to trust (A) light, (b) dipstick. Hope somebody can shed some light on this dipstick (me).
The first thing to understand is the difference between oil pressure and oil level. Completely different. You should check the owner's manual to see the difference between the two lights (all lights come on briefly when the car is first turned on, so you can see where the lights are).

I believe on these cars, the low pressure warning light is red and the low level warning light is orange. So you probably have low pressure but not low level.

If you have enough oil in your engine, your level will be OK, as confirmed on the dipstick, and by the oil level warning light staying off.

So if that's the case and you still have the red light on, there are many different things that could cause that, including - bad sensor, worn engine, worn pump, low idle, to name a few.