LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How my Wood Wheel n Shifter upgrade looks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-02, 05:35 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How my Wood Wheel n Shifter upgrade looks.

Hey all

I know some of you have been thinking about upgrading your steering wheel to wood. Well here are some before and after Pics I took of my car. I also replaced the shifter with a wood one.

Let me know what ya think.

PS I have not decided what to do with my original leather wheel n shifter. There in great shape the car only had 25,000 miles on it when I did the upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails How my Wood Wheel n Shifter upgrade looks.-wood-upgrade50.jpg  
Old 10-08-02, 05:59 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks Great!!! Just like mine

Cracks me up that, although I am sure it was not intended, your pictures are like before and after plastic surgery where the model in the "before " pictures has no make-up and poor lighting and in the "after" pics has the "glamour" thing going!!! Your before pictures have poor lighting and no gauge lighting compared to your after...
Old 10-08-02, 06:04 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

I know, sorry.

The originals were taken outside in the driveway and the sunlight washed out some of the colors. The new ones were this weekend in the garage. I took some out side but the sun is just washing out all of my out door pics. I need a new camera.

I have to say one thing the feel alone of the wood makes such a big difference. Its so much more Luxurious. Also I have not had and slipperiness from the wood.
Old 10-08-02, 06:57 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely gorgeous!
I want a wood wheel!
Old 10-08-02, 11:20 PM
brian3268
Lead Lap

looks amazing!!!

it makes a huge difference!
Old 10-09-02, 12:54 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Jerry,

No doubt, that looks fantastic! It is a huge difference. Did you get that stuff in the group buy?

Rich
Old 10-09-02, 08:36 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Rich

Nope ebay. Very inexpensive for what you get.
Old 10-09-02, 11:58 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

That's immaculate!
Old 10-09-02, 02:08 PM
zxlr8
Pole Position

How much?
Old 10-09-02, 06:47 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

How Much for what? The new wood stuff I bought or the old leather stuff I might sell?

I paid:
$108 for the shifter
$143 for the wheel

I could have paid less if I were patiant. Shifters normally go between $60 - $100. I was impatiant and bid on the first one closing.

For the Wheel they sell from $100 - $200 used and $400 plus for aftermarket brand new. The only issue is with the used ones may have cracks in the clear finish. Lexus had a big problem with this and will replace a cracked wheel even out of warrenty. Mine has NO cracks.

If you were debating about buying one I would definitly reccomned it. Even if it has cracks they really are minor and once your moving you dont really see them, but you do get the awsome feel of the wood under your fingers. Also the look of your interior is totaly upgraded to Ultra Luxery status.

Well worth the upgrade in my little opionion.

Jerry
Old 10-10-02, 08:45 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got one F/S on LS classified, no cracked on wood and in perfect condition.
Old 10-23-02, 04:42 PM
dwhitman
Driver School Candidate

Question where can you get these????

Hey everyone. I just recently found this site. It is great!!!! I have found a lot of usefull information. My question is where did you find the wood/leather steering wheel and wood shifter upgrades so cheap. I have looked for mine and the cost for a new one was outrageously high, over $1800.00 for both. I fyou can let me know that would be great. I would really like to upgrade mine if I can. Please email any info to dwhitman@pittstate.edu
Old 10-24-02, 02:25 AM
oac3
Rookie

Default Horta

You stated that "...Lexus had a big problem with this and will replace a cracked wheel even out of warrenty..."

Really ? This is news to me..... Do you have anything in writing from Lexus to back this up ? I ask because just the other day I noticed a small line at the back of my wood shifter, indicating a clear sign of early crack is showing on my otherwise impeccable wood wheel. I surely would like more info on this if you have it before I call up my local dealer.... The latter has not been too kind to me so I want to avoid it as much as possible, if I can. Oh, my '99 has 66K miles already.

BTW, the new wood wheel and shifter looks absolutely awesome ! and for a cheap price too....

Last edited by oac3; 10-24-02 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-24-02, 10:40 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey all I bought them both of ebay. I am a true believer in ebay. If you go to ebay Motors and just type in the search box "Lexus Wood" you will find many wheels and shifters for sale. Some of them are brand new for sale from people that for one reason or another don't need them or cant use them. Other are from people that seem to regularly buy them of junked cars.

You cant beat the price. No I have to warn you many of the original Lexus wood wheel from 98 - 2000 got cracks in them. When I was shopping for my car I would say about 30-40% of them had some cracks in the wheel. These crack are NOT in the wood but actually in the clear coat. They are minor, but you have to ask question when buying of ebay. Most people do say in there adds if it has cracks or not so just ask them is it one maybe two or is it many cracks all around.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer and you car is in pristine condition from you taking good care of it and the only thing wrong is some crack in you wheel. Well they will replace it even out of warranty. The wheel cracking problem is a known problem and they are prepared to replace it but only if you ask and maybe push just a little. Now as far as the shifter goes I have no idea. That wood is so thin I doubt they will do anything but again it does not hurt to try.

Good Luck.
Old 12-01-02, 06:14 PM
Blue
Driver School Candidate

Default Wood Wheel for 95 LS

I bought one on ebay for $250. supposed to fit a 98. wood is more orange than mine and my airbag doesn't fit the horn button part, Anyone else familiar with this, got a cheap '98 taupe airbag for sale?

Quick Reply: How my Wood Wheel n Shifter upgrade looks.